Ask Scarletfox for Advice

Scarletfox

Hello, friends!

I thought this would be fun! Ask me for advice because I give... good... ish.... advice.......

I give relationship advice, living advice, math advice, grammar advice, which books to read advice, health advice, everyday living advice, whatever advice, etc. etc. etc. There are no guarantees on quality control, so... take what I say with a grain of salt.

Alright! Ask away!

Edited by Scarletfox

19 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

What kind of advice should I be asking for?

You, Mr. Fadran, should be asking for advice on how often to go outside. How can one possible see no squirrels in a week? You sir need to get out of the house more.

6 minutes ago, HoidWasTaken said:

If I can sell two radishes per every steel metalmind I fill up, how many numbers are in the Alethi alphabet?

Well if you multiply amount of radishes with the amount of cats my grandmother owns, and add the square root of the speed of light by feet per second to that, and then subtract the amount of planets in the cosmere, you'll find the answer. Unfortunately, we don't have the number of planets in the Cosmere, so we will never know how many numbers are in the Alethi alphabet.

Edited by Scarletfox

5 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

so, uh... what should I do? (I ask this in every advice thread)

You should wake up and go to sleep with a smile on your face. You should eat healthily. You should go outside for thirty minutes and enjoy nature. You should clean your room. If it's already clean, bless your mother by cleaning the house for her. You should try your best at everything you do, no matter how tough. You should go and get a couple of graham crackers, and break them up into little pieces and put them into a bowl. Then, you should pour milk over it, and eat it like cereal. 

3 hours ago, Smye said:

@Scarletfox - want a BIG/serious one?

Hit me

How do we support kids to engage in school when school is entirely remote due to high case counts in our county and when students are responsible to care for younger siblings during the day?

On 10/21/2020 at 5:09 PM, Smye said:

How do we support kids to engage in school when school is entirely remote due to high case counts in our county and when students are responsible to care for younger siblings during the day?

1. We hire engaging teachers who keep zooms short and sweet. We make it easier for teachers to personalize their teaching while increasing transparency for critical analysis. We provide more learning opportunities for teachers to become more familiar with technology and useful teaching skills while teaching remote. 

2. Teachers need to be just as engaged with their students as they expect their students to be to them. Being pro-active in making sure that every student feels acknowledged by the teacher can improve their desire to want to know what's going on.

3. Engaged parents are another factor for kids having the desire to engage in school. Parents need to be encouraged by the school systems to be more involved in their children's lives rather than less involved. At the end of the day at suppertime, when a parent asks something as simple as, 'what did you learn in chemistry today?' students feel not only that someone cares about what's going on in their life, but they are also more inclined to pay attention in chemistry next time so that they can relay information to their parents. This reminder of what they learned can also help them remember what they learned long term instead of just short term. Even though the student will probably sigh, and feel a bit frustrated at their parents for getting into their personal business, they'll learn to appreciate it in time. This is just one example of how parents can be more involved, there are many more. Parent involvement, even if small, can make a significant difference on the amount a student engages in school.

If I may ask, from what perspective does this come from, student, parent, teacher, school board... person (I don't know the official name), or administrator? (this would help me better answer the question)

On 10/21/2020 at 5:14 PM, HoidWasTaken said:

hoew do i  b  more smert?

Read more philosophy.

Edited by Scarletfox

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 0:26 PM, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

Why, why you be so cruel?

How can I understand?

*Laughs maniacally*

*Laugher slowly dies down*

*silent smirk while staring into Truth's soul*

You will understand with time.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:01 AM, Ookla the Tortured said:

Who are you?

I am a child of God.

Edited by Ookla the Sly

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 5:45 PM, Nathrangking said:

Poetry is so misunderstood why is that?

Because it is often taught to people before their brains are developed enough to understand and enjoy it, and it often gets associated with things that are really hard or difficult. It's also associated with school, and many consider it as a prison, distancing themselves from it as soon as possible once they graduate. 'If I don't need it, why learn it?' Many people ask, demanding immediate return from things that may have solely long term effects. Poetry is one of these, when we learn it in school, it's usually actually to help us think a certain way, and to teach us to appreciate beauty. Unfortunately, many people miss this, and many teachers fail to explain why they teach what they do. Many people, when they get older, rediscover the benefits of poetry, however many others refuse to make an attempt at enjoying it because of their bad experiences in the past. (this is very prevalent in literature in general)

On 12/12/2020 at 5:45 PM, Nathrangking said:

Why doesn't life have a life for dummies guide to make it easier to manage?

Because even the experts are still dummies at life.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:20 PM, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

How do I make myself work when I would rather play?

Accountability.

2 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Because it is often taught to people before their brains are developed enough to understand and enjoy it, and it often gets associated with things that are really hard or difficult. It's also associated with school, and many consider it as a prison, distancing themselves from it as soon as possible once they graduate. 'If I don't need it, why learn it?' Many people ask, demanding immediate return from things that may have solely long term effects. Poetry is one of these, when we learn it in school, it's usually actually to help us think a certain way, and to teach us to appreciate beauty. Unfortunately, many people miss this, and many teachers fail to explain why they teach what they do. Many people, when they get older, rediscover the benefits of poetry, however many others refuse to make an attempt at enjoying it because of their bad experiences in the past. (this is very prevalent in literature in general)

Because even the experts are still dummies at life.

If only it were not so. Poetry is a rather lonely niche. I find that even my own relatives don't understand what it is or why it is that I write. However, as you have said mindset is a large part of it. Perhaps my writing and discussing poetry with others can change the conversation.

Well then somebody who is a real expert should find a way to put a book together.

How is it possible maintain an optimistic outlook about ones work after being repeatedly rejected?

5 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

How is it possible maintain an optimistic outlook about ones work after being repeatedly rejected?

Perhaps this is just a rant, but here lies some random and scattered thoughts from Scarletfox:

Two big things, first, focus on what is going well, and not on what is going poorly. Start a thankfulness journal and write something down every day that went well about work or reflect on three questions daily: “What have I received from __?”, “What have I given to __?”, and “What troubles and difficulty have I caused?” Secondly, look at reality as it is, and while you want to stay optimistic, don't create naive optimism. If things are bad, at some point, you need to acknowledge that things are bad, but create smaller goals to get through rough spots. Pretending that everything is good can be a really bad thing in some cases, because it can prevent growth, however having optimism in bad scenarios that you have no control over can also help you improve your determination and mental health. It's hard to balance optimism and realism, and I'm not an expert at it, but I think it's important. 

Short version: Acknowledge the good stuff, and acknowledge the bad stuff.

• 1 month later...