Speech and Debate Club

Hello, friends!

As many of you know, I compete in many speech events as well as team policy debate, and I have found there are some very... unique situations that happen when participating in this kind of thing.

For example, when you need to go to the bathroom really really really badly during a debate because you drank thirteen gallons of coffee because you decided to pull an all nighter working on your case, but you can't leave the round unless you want to waste all of the prep time you have left. 

Or, when you wake up in a room surrounded by moms with their arms crossed, to find that you've been captured by the Compliance Ninjas (a joke... mostly). 

Or, when you ascend from a research cave (or debate cave, depending on what you call it) and feel like Dr. Mannette being freed from prison from the first time in eighteen long years, barely coherent to society. 

Or, when you sprint all the way across a college campus (during a tournament) to your extemp room hoping and praying you get there in time because you misread the building names on the map and went to the wrong one.

Just some purely hypothetical situations. What are some crazy things that have happened to you, my fellow speech and debaters? Do you like this year's debate resolution? Which is best, parli, Policy, Lincoln Douglas, or some other form of debate? What kind of speeches do you like best? Do you think they should bring back duo impromptu or trio interpretation speeches, or if they have them in your league, have you ever tried it?

Edited by Scarletfox

2 hours ago, Scarletfox said:

Hello, friends!

As many of you know, I compete in many speech events as well as team policy debate, and I have found there are some very... unique situations that happen when participating in this kind of thing.

For example, when you need to go to the bathroom really really really badly during a debate because you drank thirteen gallons of coffee because you decided to pull an all nighter working on your case, but you can't leave the round unless you want to waste all of the prep time you have left. 

Or, when you wake up in a room surrounded by moms with their arms crossed, to find that you've been captured by the Compliance Ninjas (a joke... mostly). 

Or, when you ascend from a research cave (or debate cave, depending on what you call it) and feel like Dr. Mannette being freed from prison from the first time in eighteen long years, barely coherent to society. 

Or, when you sprint all the way across a college campus (during a tournament) to your extemp room hoping and praying you get there in time because you misread the building names on the map and went to the wrong one.

Just some purely hypothetical situations. What are some crazy things that have happened to you, my fellow speech and debaters? Do you like this year's debate resolution? Which is best, parli, Policy, Lincoln Douglas, or some other form of debate? What kind of speeches do you like best? Do you think they should bring back duo impromptu or trio interpretation speeches, or if they have them in your league, have you ever tried it?

The best type of debate is when you don't let your opponent get a single word in. 

The moment they start talking, you do the same.

I mean, they can't win the debate if they can't speak... :P 

On 10/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, DramaQueen said:

When I did debate, I was in Public Forum, or PF. It was a ton of fun, but I dropped out because theatre is better and I like having some free time...:ph34r:

Ooh, public forum! I've never tried that, but I had friends who really enjoyed it. I do team policy debating (TP), which is similar-ish to PF. 

Yeah, I completely get that reason for dropping out. Debate research is sooo time consuming! My partner and I are piranha packing on monday, so this weekend is going to be crazy full of researching!!

Spoiler

debate.jpg.fc87af421def0a755ca5514d76e997e1.jpg

1 hour ago, Shard of Reading said:

Did you see the first presidential debate?

I wouldn't even call it a debate. I couldn't even watch the whole thing because it was so horrid, I had to turn it off.

Last night's was much better, even if they did avoid answering some of the questions. 

Edited by Scarletfox

Never been in a debate club or an official debate, like in front of an audience, but me and my friends often debate each other and people constantly say I should because I tend to like arguing (It's fun, okay). But, there is a debate story I have actually that will make you all laugh. 

So my high school has this thing called W.I.P (World Issues Project) and one of the things we do is a debate on our solutions for our issue. Our issue was Human trafficking (I know, happy stuff, right?) and we presented our solutions. one of the things we had to consider was how to convince governments to actually implement our solutions. We kept asking each other this, until an acquaintance of mine asked someone I know (unfortunately) that question, and his answer... was just XD.

So his answer was if they refuse to do it, we should burn down their government buildings (yes, he said that) and force them to do it. I am not kidding. he said that one for one. he was serious. he aruged this point for several minutes while many of us either tried to argue with him or laughing in complete hilarity. Even the teacher was like "Ok, no that's dumb, we're moving on." And you guys think Trump is bad at debating. XD 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Ookla the Sarcastic said:

Yo I’m here now that I’m officially part of the speech team.

ayyyyyyyy

1 hour ago, BreezeCauthon said:

Congrats!

On a related note, anyone here active in Model UN?

I'm not, that's like, kind of a speech league, right? I feel like I've heard of it.

Edited by Ookla the Sly

2 hours ago, Ookla the Sly said:

I'm not, that's like, kind of a speech league, right? I feel like I've heard of it.

It's sorta like a government (say, for example... the UN) simulation, where we are presented with 1-3 or so topics and then have to debate and discuss them from assigned viewpoints (say, for example, UN member states) and eventually come up with a solution (ideally, though I've been in a committee that failed to do so).

3 hours ago, BreezeCauthon said:

It's sorta like a government (say, for example... the UN) simulation, where we are presented with 1-3 or so topics and then have to debate and discuss them from assigned viewpoints (say, for example, UN member states) and eventually come up with a solution (ideally, though I've been in a committee that failed to do so).

Oh that's cool! So it's kind of like Policy debate, but in a team and everyone's on the same side. Yes, I'm fairly certain I've heard of that, or at the very least, I've heard of things like that.

Also, forgot to do this earlier, but welcome to the club!