Warfare on the Shattered Plains

Tortellini

How many shard plates and blades are in their possesion. If they made a unit out of them, who drag the bridge them selves, the plate makes them so much stronger, they could carry the bridges with fewer numbers and greater strength.

Seige weaponry, there is a limit to the force on a plateau, so set up on a near by area, and launch wweapons, make them come to you to stop the weaponry. DUe to the rarity of blades and plate, there is sure to be such weaponry around.

How many shard plates and blades are in their possesion. If they made a unit out of them, who drag the bridge them selves, the plate makes them so much stronger, they could carry the bridges with fewer numbers and greater strength.

The only problem is that no Shardbearer would condescend to do something like carry bridges. Not even Dalinar.

Seige weaponry, there is a limit to the force on a plateau, so set up on a near by area, and launch wweapons, make them come to you to stop the weaponry. DUe to the rarity of blades and plate, there is sure to be such weaponry around.

I believe someone mentioned this, but would the people of Roshar ever have invented siege equipment? Most battles seem to take place on open fields, and prolonged sieges are thwarted by the highstorms. I don't disagree with your idea, I'm just thinking the technology to create it doesn't exist.

The only problem is that no Shardbearer would condescend to do something like carry bridges. Not even Dalinar.

What? Dalinar used his plate and blade to dig a latrine! Carry bridges is exactly the type of thing he would do, in my opinion. Or would make the shardplate users do when he become the Highprince of War.

What? Dalinar used his plate and blade to dig a latrine! Carry bridges is exactly the type of thing he would do, in my opinion. Or would make the shardplate users do when he become the Highprince of War.

He specifically says that he'd never carry a bridge in one of his arguments with Sadeas.

He specifically says that he'd never carry a bridge in one of his arguments with Sadeas.

The specifics here are important: he wouldn't run a bridge straight into enemy lines unarmored. "Never ask anyone to do what you wouldn't willing do yourself" is his line, and he wouldn't do something so obviously suicidal.

That said, I think he would run bridges in full armor, and ask others to do the same.

The specifics here are important: he wouldn't run a bridge straight into enemy lines unarmored. "Never ask anyone to do what you wouldn't willing do yourself" is his line, and he wouldn't do something so obviously suicidal.

That said, I think he would run bridges in full armor, and ask others to do the same.

You may be right.

Exactly! A man in shardplate probably can ignore normal arrows like it was drizzle and I believe it would take a very small number of them to carry a bridge.

Except he doesn't have any armor any more.

I'm not saying this invalidates that theory, I'm just pointing it out.

Except he doesn't have any armor any more.

I'm not saying this invalidates that theory, I'm just pointing it out.

He still have it, by the end of book 1. He promised to Renarin a shardplate, not specifically his shardplate. There is still opportunity to get another one and keep his word to his son.

They are making themselves very rich correct, and soul casters are like the ultimate resource. Were they able to make such a fortune or new fabrials with these.

Most of the vorin kingdoms could be bought.

How many enemy shard bearers are there, make them priority targets.

Parshmen still obey all orders correct, so order them to build and maintain the bridges and passes.

WHat are the enemy going to do, you seen how they react to their dead, they wont attack their own kind.

Going back to Dalinar's (indirect) mention of inflation, I think Dalinar is not actually talking about the here and now.

"Yes, but how many will leave when this is over?"

"Does it matter?"

"I'm not certain. The Shattered Plains are now a de facto Alethi province. How will this place appear in a hundred years? Will those rings of barracks become neighbourhoods? The outer shops become markets? The hills to the west become fields for plants?" He shook his head. "The gemhearts will always be here, it seems. And so long as they are, there will be people here as well."

Emphasis mine, page 409

People have been talking about how the influx of gemhearts has been cancelled out by the fact of the highprinces' armies, and they are probably right, but to me he isn't talking about that. He's talking about after the armies have left, as he says its now a de facto Alethi province, so what happens after the Veangance Pact is won (or given up)? With the parshendi beaten or peaceful it will be a lot easier to get to the chasmfiends, and there will be no armies to cancel out the effects. It may take a while, but this after all is only Book 1 in 10, there's plenty of time left (although the upcoming Desolation may upset a few plans)

Now I've said this, I really have no idea why :D.

• Chaos locked this topic