WritingWrong By Frustration - Fantasy

Frustration

Lesson 03

Plot twists

A plot twist must be completely unexpected, no matter how odd or inconsistent with the rest of the book and foreshadowing it is, the more out there the better the twist.

The Author should also make sure to browse all fansites and if one person finds out the twist it should be rewritten.

Does the overabundance of speculation and time the audience has make that more a matter of time than an off the chance occurrence? Should careful planning be used both before and after a twist especially in making it work with the already established world of the story?

Of course not, that would be stupid.

now for a twist.

Don't die -Frustration.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Lesson 03

Plot twists

A plot twist must be completely unexpected, no matter how odd or inconsistent with the rest of the book and foreshadowing it is, the more out there the better the twist.

The Author should also make sure to browse all fansites and if one person finds out the twist it should be rewritten.

Does the overabundance of speculation and time the audience has make that more a matter of time than an off the chance occurrence? Should careful planning be used both before and after a twist especially in making it work with the already established world of the story?

Of course not, that would be stupid.

now for a twist.

Don't die -Frustration.

I'm getting Rian Johnson PTSD flashbacks.. No Rian, don't use your first draft you incompetent goblin...

Edited by Aspiring Writer

9 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

What? I was sure you should make your plot twist obvious and predictable, so that it will seem exactly like any work written before you, because no one likes new things!

That is a second option however an unpopular one, and one I don't like and so is wrong, because my way is the one and on;y way to write!:D 

Here's another good advice I've just found in the book Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones :

hard graft. You can’t afford to get carried away, or your book becomes a dangerous, out-of-hand thing and it may not sell.’ I’ll go further,’ says Mervin Thurless. ‘If there is a miracle ingredient, it’s money.’

I have nothing to add but pointing out the practicality in it, much needed in writing books, far more than imagination. 

Huh, I thought that Riordan had really improved. Even though you could make an argument about him writing in the same world, I felt the specifics were different enough that the books don't feel derivative. Honestly, I never though that Riordan had the guts to kill a main character off.

2 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Huh, I thought that Riordan had really improved. Even though you could make an argument about him writing in the same world, I felt the specifics were different enough that the books don't feel derivative. Honestly, I never though that Riordan had the guts to kill a main character off.

Refresh my memory, who did he kill?

58 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

Refresh my memory, who did he kill?

He is probably referring to Jason, when he was a side character in Apollo's story. And proceeded in the next book to make you think Frank burned his stick and killed himself only to find he survived the stick and no longer needs it because he didn't want him to die.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

He is probably referring to Jason, when he was a side character in Apollo's story. And proceeded in the next book to make you think Frank burned his stick and killed himself only to find he survived the stick and no longer needs it because he didn't want him to die.

Well... Either way, I don't care as long as Leo doesn't die again.

13 hours ago, Condensation said:

Ooh, good advice. Would you recommend the book?

Just finished it. I have found it a little... confusing. I might recommend, but I'd warn you to get ready to a little weirdness. I think it's normal in DWJ books. Besides, be prepared for a magic system that (at least in my opinion) doesn't exactly corresponds with Brandon's laws.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
13 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Just finished it. I have found it a little... confusing. I might recommend, but I'd warn you to get ready to a little weirdness. I think it's normal in DWJ books. Besides, be prepared for a magic system that (at least in my opinion) doesn't exactly corresponds with Brandon's laws.

This is not a bad thing (not defending the book haven't read it) but Brandon has said that his laws aren't hard and fast and that it is a case by case bases

I agree - I did like the book myself. It's only that I think many people like Sanderson's books because of the sensible magic systems - my older brother who introduced me to Sanderson is like that, for example. Thus, magic systems like that could make books less interesting to some sander fans. 

On 11/4/2020 at 11:09 AM, Trutharchivist said:

Okay, good to know! I like magic of all kinds.

• 3 months later...