WritingWrong By Frustration - Fantasy

Frustration

Welcome to WritingWrong! A parody of RightingWrite, where I teach you the one and only true way to write. I would never exaggerate or be sarcastic, and this is meant to be taken seriously and is totally not like a satire, where I poke fun at misconceptions about writing to teach you what not to do, that would be stupid.

Lesson 1 - The basics

An author must follow this basic formula and should never try new things or find what works for them.

An Author must also please everyone, forget the fact that everyone has different views and will have radically different opinions on things, if anyone is upset at your work you must do it exactly as they say, even if it means removing everything you love from the story.

Consequently an author must write exactly what is popular, whether or not that is of any interest to the author is irreverent. additionally the author should never try anything that they have never seen done before, because this means that it doesn't work.

Alright after this we can move on to more specific topics but for now I want to thank

@Channelknight Fadran for approving this thread

@Experience for suggesting it

and the You Tube Channel Terrible Writing Advice for inspiring it.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

Welcome to WritingWrong! A parody of RightingWrite, where I teach you the one and only true way to write. I would never exaggerate or be sarcastic, and this is meant to be taken seriously and is totally not like a satire, where I poke fun at misconceptions about writing to teach you what not to do, that would be stupid.

Lesson 1 - The basics

An author must follow this basic formula and should never try new things or find what works for them.

An Author must also please everyone, forget the fact that everyone has different views and will have radically different opinions on things, if anyone is upset at your work you must do it exactly as they say, even if it means removing everything you love from the story.

Consequently an author must write exactly what is popular, whether or not that is of any interest to the author is irreverent. additionally the author should never try anything that they have never seen done before, because this means that it doesn't work.

Alright after this we can move on to more specific topics but for now I want to thank

@Channelknight Fadran for approving this thread

@Experience for suggesting it

and the You Tube Channel Terrible Writing Advice for inspiring it.

Can I help teach the lessons here?

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

Can I help teach the lessons here?

Another tip

The Author should never accept help,

even from more experienced persons who offer it when the Author is clearly in way over their head.

In all seriousness you are totally welcome to, I was writing the first post and I was like, "wow, I have so much more respect for Fadran now that I see what goes into these."

Mini Lesson 1: Tell, don't show!

Have you ever heard the old adage "a thousand pictures tells just one word"? Good! It's the most important thing an author can remember as they write their story. It's far easier to say something than to show something, and if it's easy, then it's good!

Show:

Spoiler

Bob spun about, swinging his blade from the right to block Mary's strike. Mary countered by bringing her hand back, summoning a beam of fire to cover her sword in flame.

Tell:

Spoiler

Bob blocked Mary's sword. Mary lit her sword on fire.

Boom! See? Amazing, no?

I think the best example of this strategy is The Last Airbender movie. It was far easier for the scriptwriters to have Katara narrate Aang's backstory than to give us a flashback, which means that it was the better choice!

19 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Mini Lesson 1: Tell, don't show!

Have you ever heard the old adage "a thousand pictures tells just one word"? Good! It's the most important thing an author can remember as they write their story. It's far easier to say something than to show something, and if it's easy, then it's good!

Show:

Hide contents

Bob spun about, swinging his blade from the right to block Mary's strike. Mary countered by bringing her hand back, summoning a beam of fire to cover her sword in flame.

Tell:

Hide contents

Bob blocked Mary's sword. Mary lit her sword on fire.

Boom! See? Amazing, no?

I think the best example of this strategy is The Last Airbender movie. It was far easier for the scriptwriters to have Katara narrate Aang's backstory than to give us a flashback, which means that it was the better choice!

Spoiler

I like the first one better. It's more interesting.