The Dark Titan

Frustration

So despite working on the same world/universe since before I joined the shard, I have yet to make a thread dedicated to it, so here is the Prologue

Enjoy

Spoiler

Prologue

The being walked forward, uninterested in the mountainous region around him, for it was not why he was here. The light of the sun was obscured by the flight of a massive dragon, but he ignored it, for he was not here for that either. Winds howled, beasts roared, rocks flew as giants fought each other, but he was not here for that.

On he walked showing no sign of fatigue or emotion, hours turned to days, but he did not find what he was after.

It was long before he found the object of his quest, a black rock, in the shape of a peaches pit. A single light blue circle marked it for what it was, an Oblivion seed.

The being reached down, its outlined hand grasping the seed and holding it for him to see.

“The first Oblivion, why are you here? A war among the giants is hardly enough to warrant an Oblivion, even if it’s only the seed.” The being asked, stroking the seed with his other hand

“Kronon.” was the only reply he ever received.

Kronon, the Eldest, the First, the Dark Titan, has he been cast from his own realm? Why would he come here?

His thoughts brought no answers, but an urge did come to him, great and powerful, there was something else he needed to find, something, or someone. 

Galir floated with the sky, his tribe far below, a figure gestured for him to come down. Torvil was approaching eight feet tall, her body almost completely made of rock. Galir sighed mentally before floating down, he didn’t get enough time to relax anymore. Galir alighted, forcing his mostly vaporous body to take shape, “What is it Torvil?”

“There’s something over there Galir.” She replied pointing, there, almost invisible was the blue outline of a titan adolescent.

“It  might be a Truespirit, but I’ve never seen one like that. It also doesn’t seem aggressive but I thought you should take a look at it.”

Galir looked at the tribe behind them, a few hundred in number all flesh as they were not born with the power of the Guardianss.

“Stay with them and have the Tomicks get ready for anything. I’ll see what this is.”

Torvil nodded, she knew that was what he would do. She called the Tornicks who were already at the front of the tribe, the descendants of Guardians, wielded their ancestors' relics which mimicked their powers.

Galir floated towards the creature, curious but not scared. When he was about a titan’s height away the creature changed, inside the outline, a black inky night spread, rapidly. Galir flew back in surprise, but it raised its hand in peace and he calmed.

“Galir, son of Galdir, I am no enemy of you or yours.” The being spoke, it’s voice was masculine and enunciated but at the same time hard to determine, and faint.

“Bring the other Guardians together, I have something to tell you.” 

Galir hesitated, before deciding to play along, he mentally reached out through the air and spoke to Torvil and Farlnor. 

“It wants to speak with us, I think you should come.”

It wasn’t long before the forms of fire and stone came, forward from the rest of the tribe. 

“What do you want?” Farlnor snapped, his fire rising several inches.

“It will not be long before a terrible fate comes upon this land, there is only one who can save it.” 

“And that’s you?”

“Enough Farlnor!” Galir said, reigning the fiery Guardians in, then to the creature “What does this have to do with anything?”

“The champion of this realm is among your tribe, in a few weeks I will return to reveal them.”

“What does it matter?”

The creature seemed to hesitate, then without warning, it shifted. Within the depths of night that made up its form, Galir could see fire, battle, death, he watched as corpses piled into mountains, blood ran in rivers. Galir was shocked by the carnage, then he saw something that struck true terror in his heart, Titans of his tribe, dead and dying on the ground, and behind it all, a pair of eyes. 

“Alright, you return, but why not now?”

The creature seemed amused, “I don’t know who it is yet.” With those words, it vanished.

Galir stood there, trying to unsee those terrible eyes, but it didn’t help they seemed burned into his mind, for he didn’t truly have eyes of his own, not anymore.

“Galir why did you agree with that thing?” Farlnor demanded.

“Farlnor, I am the Chief Guardian and thus I make such decisions when you have your own tribe that would fall to you but until that time you will obey me.” Galir snapped.

“Galir, this champion, it must be you,” Torvil said, trying and failing to place a hand on his airly shoulder.

Galir smiled, Farlnor was becoming more and more unstable, but Torvil was always dependable, “Perhaps, but it did say it was unsure, I can’t help but think that means it’s one of you or the Tomicks.”

Torvil shook her head, continuing to state that it was him, Galir’s attention however was far more drawn to a pair of eyes he wished he had never seen. 

I don't know why it's bold, and I can't fix it, also italics are super hard to read in bold, so I've underlined.

Edited by Frustration

I like it, but there are a lot of small issues I found, mainly grammatical. Lotta missing commas. 

23 hours ago, Frustration said:

The being walked forward, uninterested in the mountainous region around it, for they were not why he was here. The light of the sun was obscured by the flight of a massive dragon, but he ignored it, for he was not here for that either. Winds howled, beasts roared, rocks flew as giants fought each other, but he was not here for that.

I like this, the prose sounds similar to the beginning of The Name of the Wind, but a couple of thoughts. In the first sentence, you refer to the mountains as "they". It might make more sense to refer to them as 'it', since you're talking about 'the mountainous region' and 'region' is singular. Also, in the first sentence you refer to the being as 'it' but then immediately refer to the being as 'he'. I'd maybe change the end of the last sentence too. In all, I'd edit it to say:

The being walked forward, uninterested in the mountainous region around him, for it was not why he was here. The light of the sun was obscured by the flight of a massive dragon, but he ignored it, for he was not here for that either. Winds howled, beasts roared, rocks flew as giants fought each other, but he was not here for any of that either.

There were a bunch of other similar error type things, mainly commas and confusing pronouns, but as for plot and worldbuilding, it sounds interesting. 

On 10/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, Frustration said:

The being walked forward, uninterested in the mountainous region around it, for they were not why he was here. The light of the sun was obscured by the flight of a massive dragon, but he ignored it, for he was not here for that either. Winds howled, beasts roared, rocks flew as giants fought each other, but he was not here for that.

Say terrain rather than region, and maybe say he was unbothered by the terrain. Most people aren't interested in mountains so it's not worth mentioning. Same for the "not why he was there" line, just remove it. Reorder the next sentence to something like A massive dragon flew by overhead, obscuring the light from the sun. if he's aware of the dragon, put that first and then the effect it has. Say he not there for that only once at the end, repeating it doesn't sound good here.

On he walked showing no sign of fatigue or emotion, hours turned to days, but he did not find what he was after.

It was long before he found the object of his quest, a black rock, in the shape of a peaches pit. A single light blue circle marked it for what it was, an Oblivion seed.

Spilt that first sentence into two.

The being reached down, its outlined hand grasping the seed and holding it for him to see.

“The first Oblivion, why are you here? A war among the giants is hardly enough to warrant an Oblivion, even if it’s only the seed.” The being asked, stroking the seed with his other hand

Something sounds weird here, but that might just be a lack of information. Lots of grammar mistakes, and if you want, I'll go through and make another post for that, but I'm going to go for the big stuff first.

“Kronon.” was the only reply he ever received.

Kronon, the Eldest, the First, the Dark Titan, has he been cast from his own realm? Why would he come here?

His thoughts brought no answers, but an urge did come to him, great and powerful, there was something else he needed to find, something, or someone.

His thoughts brought no answers, but something urged him, something great and powerful. There was something else he needed to find. 

Something, or someone.

I'm getting tired. I'll continue another time

8 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Say terrain rather than region, and maybe say he was unbothered by the terrain. Most people aren't interested in mountains so it's not worth mentioning. Same for the "not why he was there" line, just remove it. Reorder the next sentence to something like A massive dragon flew by overhead, obscuring the light from the sun. if he's aware of the dragon, put that first and then the effect it has. Say he not there for that only once at the end, repeating it doesn't sound good here.

Spilt that first sentence into two.

Something sounds weird here, but that might just be a lack of information. Lots of grammar mistakes, and if you want, I'll go through and make another post for that, but I'm going to go for the big stuff first.

His thoughts brought no answers, but something urged him, something great and powerful. There was something else he needed to find. 

Something, or someone.

I'm getting tired. I'll continue another time

Thanks man,

And mountains are very interesting, you just have to get up there first.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Somebody from Scadrial
On 10/23/2020 at 8:51 AM, Frustration said:

Thanks man,

And mountains are very interesting, you just have to get up there first.:D

I'd keep the he was not there for that it adds a interesting feel for the story and enforces the fact that this isn't a human talking (thinking?)

Edited by Somebody from Sel

@Condensation this

Chapter 1 finished finaly!

Spoiler

Ka hid behind a tree looking at his prey, a large elk moved into his view, eating peacefully, unaware that death watched him. Ka waited, and then rushed the beast, the ground blew away beneath him as he crashed into the creature, sending them both to the ground. The elk screamed, trying to stand and run, but Ka held onto it, keeping it down. The elk was slightly bigger, but Ka had better leverage and was stronger. 

Eventually, the creature tired and lay still, and seeking the kill Ka gingerly let go to grab his knife. In that instant, the creature surged, breaking from his grip, and bolting to stand up. Ka grabbed its leg as it tried to flee, unwilling to find another kill. The elk stumbled, tripped by his hand, Ka clawed his way forward, holding the elk down, Ka grabbed the elks’ antlers and began to twist.

The elk forced itself to its feet and began pushing him back. Ka grunted in exertion as he slid backward, pushed, by the sheer force of this creature. Ka tripped over his own feet as he struggled to regain control, and fell, still holding the antlers. 

The elk’s neck bent as it lowered its head, dragged down by his weight. Ka moved one hand and grabbed his knife, keeping grip with the other hand. Ka slashed at the elk’s throat, the flint edge cutting through muscle and flesh. Gore fountained, covering his face and splatting on the forest floor next to him. The elk screamed, thrashing and bucking, and stepping on Ka’s leg. Ka howled kicking the elk with his other leg,  The elk stumbled back, falling to the ground.

Ka lay there holding his leg for some time, waiting for the pain to subside. After several minutes Ka rolled to his knees, a groan escaped his lips. 

“Stupid, beast,” Ka muttered wincing as he stood, “Stupid animal.” Ka walked over to his kill noting that it was still alive and finished the job. Ka sat for a while regaining his strength, his leg aflame in agony. Ka steadied his breathing, and stood, pulling his kill unto his shoulder, and began to walk back to camp trying to ignore the pain in his leg. Weakness gets you killed, his father had said, and Ka knew for a fact it was true, he’d lost too many friends to weakness over the years, he didn’t plan to join them.

Ka walked into the tribes’ encampment excitement allowing him to ignore his pain for a while. He had done it, he had made a solo kill passing the last rite and a ceremony would be arranged, he was going to become a Titan. The Titanesses he saw smiled or congratulated him, while the titanlings laughed running next to him, and pulling on the elk. Ka smiled through it all. 

A hand slapped Ka’s arm, “Ka, you got one!”  Taz moved up next to Ka, his hair already long enough to be put in a Titan’s dreadlocks blowing behind him.

Ka laughed “Taz if that’s as had as you can hit I’m worried you didn’t get a kill.” 

“I got one, it was smaller than yours but I did it.”

They walked towards the Guardians’ tent growing quiet as they stepped inside. The coat of a long-dead beast covering a frame of rock.

The three Guardians stood there, in all their glory eight feet tall at minimum, Spirits of Earth, Air, and Fire.

Farlnor was the only source of light, his flickering glow making Galir even harder to see, and accenting small flecks of reflective stone in Torvils’ otherwise opaque surface.

Torvil stood on the far left, her face somehow comforting even in its hardness.

Yet somehow, despite the grandeur of the other two, and his own faintness Galir dominated the tent. His height and noticeable but obscured presence lent him a presence that could not be ignored.

“Ka, son of Nen you have slain this beast in a solitary hunt,” Galir spoke, it was a statement, not a question.

“With this, you will become a Titan of this tribe, with all the responsibilities and requirements that entails. Are you willing to accept this?” 

“Yes,” Ka replied, you couldn’t really say no, there wasn’t an option, you said yes or were banished.

A fire sprang to life in front of him, floating in the air, it’s red-violet flame casting almost no actual illumination.

Ka knew what to do, everyone had heard the stories, and so without hesitation, he threw the elk into the fire. The elk was almost instantly consumed, as ash fell to the ground, a lot of ash, there seemed to be more ash than there had been elk. 

“The ancients smile upon you, Ka, go, you will be summoned for the ceremony tonight,” Galir said.

Ka and Taz left quietly as they had come, it took Ka a while to recognize the breath he had been holding. He had done it.

They passed back through the camp, and Ka had to note something he had ignored in his excitement, the low number of tents. So Titan y Titans had died in the last year, and no one knew why. Both of Ka’s parents had gone missing as well as several of the adolescents. It worried the older Titans-Ka and Taz both knew it-though neither of them said anything.

“Are you excited? We’ll be Titans before the day is out!” Taz said, interrupting his thoughts

“Taz, you’ve asked me the same thing five times today, and my answer hasn’t changed,” Ka replied.

Taz looked at his feet, he’d done it to ignore the problems the tribe was facing, but they were almost men, they couldn’t ignore it, their tribe was dying.

“Taz, what are we going to do?”

Taz threw up his arms, “I don’t know Ka, if I did don’t you think I’d tell someone? The Titans don’t know, my father doesn’t know, the Tomicks don’t know! Even the Guardians don’t know.” Taz stopped tears coming to his eyes.

Ka stared amazed, he had assumed Taz just hadn’t wanted to face the truth, but now he realized that his friend had faced it, and it terrified him. Taz was trying to hide his fear.

“We do what we always have Ka, make fewer mistakes than those who came before us. It’s the only way to live,” 

The defeated resignation of Taz’s voice was a second jab to Ka, he’d thought he had been the responsible one, but Taz had clearly put more thought into this than he had. 

“I’m sorry.”

Taz genuinely seemed confused, “Ka, you get apologetic way too easily, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

Ka smiled as they stepped out of camp and stood near the edge of the forest. The high canopy blocked most light leaving the forest floor covered in thousands of tiny pinpricks of light.

“Is Dak back from the hunt yet?” Ka asked, wondering after Taz’s older brother and the closest male to their age.

“The forerunners came in and told the Titanesses to start preparing for the meal just before you got back.”

Ka smiled most of the Titans had been gone for the last few days, out on a hunt for big game. “Well, if you know where they came from, want to go help bring it in?”

Taz nodded and lead the way.

The Titans were further out than expected, it took almost half an hour to get to them, which was strange as they usually didn’t send out forerunners that far out.

It didn’t take Ka long to discover why though, the titans were dragging a [insert big creature when you worldbuild the ecology]. 

Ka and Taz grabbed the hind legs and helped to pull. Despite the pace increasing significantly, they still moved slowly, to pass the time they began to question Dak about the hunt.

It hadn’t started particularly successful, the hunters had gotten almost nothing the first day, it was the second that they spotted the [insert creature name], and had spent the whole day pursuing it. On the third day, Dren, the sorcerer-and Taz’s father-had managed to wound it enough that they had gone in for the kill. The next few days they had just been dragging it back.

The story enraptured the imagination of the soon to be Titans, their heads full of wonderful hunts and great fights with large beasts. To their minds, they would soon be part of the noblest and amazing part of life any Titan could ever want.

“So, how did your solo hunts go?” Dak asked.

The younger two were almost leaping with excitement as they interrupted each other trying to get their story out first, like two children fighting over a favored toy.

“Less talk, more pulling you three,” Dren called from the front of the animal. Though not a Tomick he was often allowed into their circles and walked with them, pulling from the front with their supernatural strength. 

Dren was the single oddest Titan in the Tribe, he had been born and raised in another, and it showed. His skin was lighter, and its difference further highlighted by the purple tattoos he wore. His children didn’t stand out so much, their late mother being from the Tribe.

It was unusual for an outsider to be let in, and Ka often doubted that if he weren’t a sorcerer, he would never have been accepted. 

The sun had set when they finally got back to the camp, and it was well into the night before they ate, but the food more than made up for it, the sheer quantity allowed everyone to eat as much as they wanted, with no fear of running out. The Titanesses hadn’t even had time to cook it all, even with Farlnor personally attending the fires, but they still had more than enough.

Ka was so thoroughly enjoying the food that he was caught by surprise when Dren called him and Taz away.

Dren led the two of them away from the camp and into the forest. They walked deeper into the shadows of the forest, only the sounds of their feet and the hooting of owls giving voice to the shades of night.

Eventually, a bit of light could be seen ahead, Dren led them into a clearing.

A firepit had been made in the center, and a stone platform had been raised around it. Several titans stood in the clearing, all nine Tomicks were present as well as several of the higher ranking titans, Farlnor likely made up the fire, Torvil was in the crowd and Galir was doubtlessly watching, although he wasn’t visible. Anile and Elina the Augur and his acolyte stood on the far side of the dais. All the most important Titans were here.

“Alright, you two, go up to the platform, only speak when necessary.” Dren paused before adding, “I’m proud of you,” Dren walked over sitting with the Tomicks.

Ka smiled, Dren might not be his father, but he was the closest thing he had left, and he could be counted on for encouragement. Ka and Taz walked forward until they stood upon the platform in clear view of everyone present. 

Ka stood feeling the burn of the many eyes watching him, as a hush fell over the watching crowd. Anile and Elina walked around the fire, Anile’s walking stick making a dull thud with every step he took.

Ka shifted nervously, unsure what to do with his hands, which were beginning to sweat, completely unaware of Taz doing the same thing beside him. 

Eventually, the Augur stood just in front of them, his dreadlocks long since white, had begun falling out of the Old Titans head.

Ka fell to his knees before the Augur, his age and power felt heavier than the elk he had brought in earlier that day. Ka stared into Anile’s eyes, blown away by how much was there, a certain potency, that stood in defiance of the age that had almost completely destroyed his body but had yet to touch the mind of the Augur.

Anile stepped back and gestured for Elina to step forward. The Acolyte did so with a hesitation that went unnoticed by Ka, who was far more concerned with his own plight.

“Taz, son of Dren,” She called her face a mask of calm.

As Taz stood and walked forward Ka allowed himself to relax, at least he hadn’t been first. 

Elina placed her hand on Taz’s forehead, concentrating, she stepped back seeming surprised. “Taz son of Dren will be accepted into the tribe, he has a pure heart and the power of an Augur, he will assure the continuation of the Tribe.”

Ka sat in silence as Taz was lead away from him, he was slightly jealous of his friend, as he would have quite a deal of authority, but he felt bad Taz wouldn’t be allowed to hunt.

“Ka son of Nen,” She said, extending her hand to him, “receive your reading.” Ka felt his fear renew, it’s cold claws grabbing at his heart. Ka walked slowly forward and sat down, When she placed her hand to his forehead she stood for a while lost in thought, before turning to the Augur.

Anile stepped forward and lightly brushed his head. He nodded, seeming to confirm her suspicion, which only made Ka’s stomach drop, what had she seen? It was said that Augurs would see the very soul of a person, what did he possess that was so surprising?

His thoughts were interrupted by Elina addressing the gathered Titans. “Ka son of Nen, will be accepted into the Tribe as a Titan. His strength will serve us as will his mind. Additionally within him is the power of spirits, he will be trained as a Guardian within the tribe, to serve as leader, and defender of us all.”

Ka was stunned, he knew it was possible, but the idea that he of all the Titanlings would have that kind of power seemed odd to him. The Guardian didn’t interact with the rest of the Tribe often, they were more story than fact. And now he was one of them.

Titans came forward and lead him away from the ring.

Ka barely registered when the Tatoo was applied, marking him a Guardian, and a Titan. His head still spun with the implications that had first assailed him.

Also note the updates to the prolouge.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

@Condensation this

Chapter 1 finished finaly!

Reveal hidden contents

Ka hid behind a tree looking at his prey, a large elk moved into his view, eating peacefully, unaware that death watched him. Ka waited, and then rushed the beast, the ground blew away beneath him as he crashed into the creature, sending them both to the ground. The elk screamed, trying to stand and run, but Ka held onto it, keeping it down. The elk was slightly bigger, but Ka had better leverage and was stronger. 

Eventually, the creature tired and lay still, and seeking the kill Ka gingerly let go to grab his knife. In that instant, the creature surged, breaking from his grip, and bolting to stand up. Ka grabbed its leg as it tried to flee, unwilling to find another kill. The elk stumbled, tripped by his hand, Ka clawed his way forward, holding the elk down, Ka grabbed the elks’ antlers and began to twist.

The elk forced itself to its feet and began pushing him back. Ka grunted in exertion as he slid backward, pushed, by the sheer force of this creature. Ka tripped over his own feet as he struggled to regain control, and fell, still holding the antlers. 

The elk’s neck bent as it lowered its head, dragged down by his weight. Ka moved one hand and grabbed his knife, keeping grip with the other hand. Ka slashed at the elk’s throat, the flint edge cutting through muscle and flesh. Gore fountained, covering his face and splatting on the forest floor next to him. The elk screamed, thrashing and bucking, and stepping on Ka’s leg. Ka howled kicking the elk with his other leg,  The elk stumbled back, falling to the ground.

Ka lay there holding his leg for some time, waiting for the pain to subside. After several minutes Ka rolled to his knees, a groan escaped his lips. 

“Stupid, beast,” Ka muttered wincing as he stood, “Stupid animal.” Ka walked over to his kill noting that it was still alive and finished the job. Ka sat for a while regaining his strength, his leg aflame in agony. Ka steadied his breathing, and stood, pulling his kill unto his shoulder, and began to walk back to camp trying to ignore the pain in his leg. Weakness gets you killed, his father had said, and Ka knew for a fact it was true, he’d lost too many friends to weakness over the years, he didn’t plan to join them.

Ka walked into the tribes’ encampment excitement allowing him to ignore his pain for a while. He had done it, he had made a solo kill passing the last rite and a ceremony would be arranged, he was going to become a Titan. The Titanesses he saw smiled or congratulated him, while the titanlings laughed running next to him, and pulling on the elk. Ka smiled through it all. 

A hand slapped Ka’s arm, “Ka, you got one!”  Taz moved up next to Ka, his hair already long enough to be put in a Titan’s dreadlocks blowing behind him.

Ka laughed “Taz if that’s as had as you can hit I’m worried you didn’t get a kill.” 

“I got one, it was smaller than yours but I did it.”

They walked towards the Guardians’ tent growing quiet as they stepped inside. The coat of a long-dead beast covering a frame of rock.

The three Guardians stood there, in all their glory eight feet tall at minimum, Spirits of Earth, Air, and Fire.

Farlnor was the only source of light, his flickering glow making Galir even harder to see, and accenting small flecks of reflective stone in Torvils’ otherwise opaque surface.

Torvil stood on the far left, her face somehow comforting even in its hardness.

Yet somehow, despite the grandeur of the other two, and his own faintness Galir dominated the tent. His height and noticeable but obscured presence lent him a presence that could not be ignored.

“Ka, son of Nen you have slain this beast in a solitary hunt,” Galir spoke, it was a statement, not a question.

“With this, you will become a Titan of this tribe, with all the responsibilities and requirements that entails. Are you willing to accept this?” 

“Yes,” Ka replied, you couldn’t really say no, there wasn’t an option, you said yes or were banished.

A fire sprang to life in front of him, floating in the air, it’s red-violet flame casting almost no actual illumination.

Ka knew what to do, everyone had heard the stories, and so without hesitation, he threw the elk into the fire. The elk was almost instantly consumed, as ash fell to the ground, a lot of ash, there seemed to be more ash than there had been elk. 

“The ancients smile upon you, Ka, go, you will be summoned for the ceremony tonight,” Galir said.

Ka and Taz left quietly as they had come, it took Ka a while to recognize the breath he had been holding. He had done it.

They passed back through the camp, and Ka had to note something he had ignored in his excitement, the low number of tents. So Titan y Titans had died in the last year, and no one knew why. Both of Ka’s parents had gone missing as well as several of the adolescents. It worried the older Titans-Ka and Taz both knew it-though neither of them said anything.

“Are you excited? We’ll be Titans before the day is out!” Taz said, interrupting his thoughts

“Taz, you’ve asked me the same thing five times today, and my answer hasn’t changed,” Ka replied.

Taz looked at his feet, he’d done it to ignore the problems the tribe was facing, but they were almost men, they couldn’t ignore it, their tribe was dying.

“Taz, what are we going to do?”

Taz threw up his arms, “I don’t know Ka, if I did don’t you think I’d tell someone? The Titans don’t know, my father doesn’t know, the Tomicks don’t know! Even the Guardians don’t know.” Taz stopped tears coming to his eyes.

Ka stared amazed, he had assumed Taz just hadn’t wanted to face the truth, but now he realized that his friend had faced it, and it terrified him. Taz was trying to hide his fear.

“We do what we always have Ka, make fewer mistakes than those who came before us. It’s the only way to live,” 

The defeated resignation of Taz’s voice was a second jab to Ka, he’d thought he had been the responsible one, but Taz had clearly put more thought into this than he had. 

“I’m sorry.”

Taz genuinely seemed confused, “Ka, you get apologetic way too easily, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

Ka smiled as they stepped out of camp and stood near the edge of the forest. The high canopy blocked most light leaving the forest floor covered in thousands of tiny pinpricks of light.

“Is Dak back from the hunt yet?” Ka asked, wondering after Taz’s older brother and the closest male to their age.

“The forerunners came in and told the Titanesses to start preparing for the meal just before you got back.”

Ka smiled most of the Titans had been gone for the last few days, out on a hunt for big game. “Well, if you know where they came from, want to go help bring it in?”

Taz nodded and lead the way.

The Titans were further out than expected, it took almost half an hour to get to them, which was strange as they usually didn’t send out forerunners that far out.

It didn’t take Ka long to discover why though, the titans were dragging a [insert big creature when you worldbuild the ecology]. 

Ka and Taz grabbed the hind legs and helped to pull. Despite the pace increasing significantly, they still moved slowly, to pass the time they began to question Dak about the hunt.

It hadn’t started particularly successful, the hunters had gotten almost nothing the first day, it was the second that they spotted the [insert creature name], and had spent the whole day pursuing it. On the third day, Dren, the sorcerer-and Taz’s father-had managed to wound it enough that they had gone in for the kill. The next few days they had just been dragging it back.

The story enraptured the imagination of the soon to be Titans, their heads full of wonderful hunts and great fights with large beasts. To their minds, they would soon be part of the noblest and amazing part of life any Titan could ever want.

“So, how did your solo hunts go?” Dak asked.

The younger two were almost leaping with excitement as they interrupted each other trying to get their story out first, like two children fighting over a favored toy.

“Less talk, more pulling you three,” Dren called from the front of the animal. Though not a Tomick he was often allowed into their circles and walked with them, pulling from the front with their supernatural strength. 

Dren was the single oddest Titan in the Tribe, he had been born and raised in another, and it showed. His skin was lighter, and its difference further highlighted by the purple tattoos he wore. His children didn’t stand out so much, their late mother being from the Tribe.

It was unusual for an outsider to be let in, and Ka often doubted that if he weren’t a sorcerer, he would never have been accepted. 

The sun had set when they finally got back to the camp, and it was well into the night before they ate, but the food more than made up for it, the sheer quantity allowed everyone to eat as much as they wanted, with no fear of running out. The Titanesses hadn’t even had time to cook it all, even with Farlnor personally attending the fires, but they still had more than enough.

Ka was so thoroughly enjoying the food that he was caught by surprise when Dren called him and Taz away.

Dren led the two of them away from the camp and into the forest. They walked deeper into the shadows of the forest, only the sounds of their feet and the hooting of owls giving voice to the shades of night.

Eventually, a bit of light could be seen ahead, Dren led them into a clearing.

A firepit had been made in the center, and a stone platform had been raised around it. Several titans stood in the clearing, all nine Tomicks were present as well as several of the higher ranking titans, Farlnor likely made up the fire, Torvil was in the crowd and Galir was doubtlessly watching, although he wasn’t visible. Anile and Elina the Augur and his acolyte stood on the far side of the dais. All the most important Titans were here.

“Alright, you two, go up to the platform, only speak when necessary.” Dren paused before adding, “I’m proud of you,” Dren walked over sitting with the Tomicks.

Ka smiled, Dren might not be his father, but he was the closest thing he had left, and he could be counted on for encouragement. Ka and Taz walked forward until they stood upon the platform in clear view of everyone present. 

Ka stood feeling the burn of the many eyes watching him, as a hush fell over the watching crowd. Anile and Elina walked around the fire, Anile’s walking stick making a dull thud with every step he took.

Ka shifted nervously, unsure what to do with his hands, which were beginning to sweat, completely unaware of Taz doing the same thing beside him. 

Eventually, the Augur stood just in front of them, his dreadlocks long since white, had begun falling out of the Old Titans head.

Ka fell to his knees before the Augur, his age and power felt heavier than the elk he had brought in earlier that day. Ka stared into Anile’s eyes, blown away by how much was there, a certain potency, that stood in defiance of the age that had almost completely destroyed his body but had yet to touch the mind of the Augur.

Anile stepped back and gestured for Elina to step forward. The Acolyte did so with a hesitation that went unnoticed by Ka, who was far more concerned with his own plight.

“Taz, son of Dren,” She called her face a mask of calm.

As Taz stood and walked forward Ka allowed himself to relax, at least he hadn’t been first. 

Elina placed her hand on Taz’s forehead, concentrating, she stepped back seeming surprised. “Taz son of Dren will be accepted into the tribe, he has a pure heart and the power of an Augur, he will assure the continuation of the Tribe.”

Ka sat in silence as Taz was lead away from him, he was slightly jealous of his friend, as he would have quite a deal of authority, but he felt bad Taz wouldn’t be allowed to hunt.

“Ka son of Nen,” She said, extending her hand to him, “receive your reading.” Ka felt his fear renew, it’s cold claws grabbing at his heart. Ka walked slowly forward and sat down, When she placed her hand to his forehead she stood for a while lost in thought, before turning to the Augur.

Anile stepped forward and lightly brushed his head. He nodded, seeming to confirm her suspicion, which only made Ka’s stomach drop, what had she seen? It was said that Augurs would see the very soul of a person, what did he possess that was so surprising?

His thoughts were interrupted by Elina addressing the gathered Titans. “Ka son of Nen, will be accepted into the Tribe as a Titan. His strength will serve us as will his mind. Additionally within him is the power of spirits, he will be trained as a Guardian within the tribe, to serve as leader, and defender of us all.”

Ka was stunned, he knew it was possible, but the idea that he of all the Titanlings would have that kind of power seemed odd to him. The Guardian didn’t interact with the rest of the Tribe often, they were more story than fact. And now he was one of them.

Titans came forward and lead him away from the ring.

Ka barely registered when the Tatoo was applied, marking him a Guardian, and a Titan. His head still spun with the implications that had first assailed him.

Also note the updates to the prolouge.

Yay! I'll read this another day, I'm pretty busy right now. But I will read it. It looks awesome!