RoW Chapter 16 Discussion

Jofwu

25 minutes ago, I Am A Fish said:

It couldn't be Yelignar.

The time line doesn't match up.

27 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

dont think it's Yelignar,we saw him when he possessed Amaram,not sure where his gem went buttttttt def not back in time though

But do we know if all of Yelignar is contained in the gems that Asueden and Amaram swallowed or just a bit of its power? Because if Yelignar can be in two gemstones within the time of the fall of Kholinar and the final battle, then its possible. 

Edited by Potus

Mistborn Spoiler (thanks for the hint, @Govir)

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Tezim said:

I know it's not a lot to go off but I feel that Brother Benneh might be a knadra. Between Baldness (I know it's usual for ardents but that just makes it easier for a kandra to hide among them) and the sagging skin. Maybe they are used to Scadrians and people from Roshar are a little different so the imitation is not perfect? 

I'm beginning to wonder whether the Mink is a kandra?

I don't know whether a kandra man can father a child with a human woman, that sounds unlikely. And I believe him about his wife and son. On the other hand, the son could be from a previous marriage of the wife, or adopted... [Edit: just realized he could just have replaced the real general after the birth!]

Anyway, being able to change his body quickly would certainly explain his strange abilities. And he talks about 'Being what you shouldn’t'...

1 hour ago, Potus said:

... It most certainly houses an Unmade in my opinion. Probably BAM or Yel. 

I don't believe it's BAM, because Gavilar spoke about having another way to reverse the effect of her capture. If he had her in his possession he wouldn't need the storm, he could just free her.

“Our enslaved parshmen were once like you. Then we somehow robbed them of their ability to undergo the transformation. We did it by capturing a spren. An ancient, crucial spren.” He looked at her, green eyes alight. “I’ve seen how that can be reversed. A new storm that will bring the Heralds out of hiding. A new war.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: The Stormlight Archive Book Three (S.21-22). Orion. Kindle-Version. 

By the way: was ist the Stormspren (at least among others) that Gavilar brought from Braize? Do we know yet?

Edited by Erklitt

1 minute ago, Chiberty said:

Interesting, considering Zahel's theory about Szeth last chapter.

Indeed, I was thinking along those lines as well.

This is where the one-a-week thing breaks rhythm (ha) - it would have been a pretty good segue between Zahel mentioning "your friend in the cell in the tower" / "not my friend" to Navani having a short, stomach-churning discussion with Szeth about the night he killed Gavilar.

1 minute ago, Potus said:

But do we know if all of Yelignar is contained in the gems that Asueden and Amaram swallowed or just a bit of its power? Because if Yelignar can be in two gemstones within the time of the fall of Kholinar and the final battle, then its possible. 

Then it could be.

In the chapter heading(I think that's what it'd be called) it mentions multiple fabrials used by the Fused.

What other fabrials might be employed?

40 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

Cultivation is more likely to be 11.

Why?  She could just as easily be eight or thirteen.

35 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

We're now seeing the true loss from the death of otherwise terrible human beings Amaram and Ialai Sadeas: they were the last Alethi with any sense regarding spycraft and operational security.  Jasnah herself at least has a personal sense of secrecy, but clearly nobody is providing any sort of leadership on this front.  Hopefully The Mink as an insurrectionary leader could assert himself in this role.

While I absolutely agree with you neither could be trusted.  Having a spy network that does not actually work for you is worse then not having one at all.

Is anyone else disappointed with the brevity of this chapter and the nothing-burger it serves up on new developments?

Navani had a brief but inconsequential conversation with Szeth. Also, she makes an interesting observation about the perfect void-sphere. There was a touching scene between her and her grandson. 

I want to hear more from Jasnah. I want Nov. 17 to hurry up and get here... :angry: Ahhhhh!!!

3 minutes ago, KidWayne said:

Is anyone else disappointed with the brevity of this chapter and the nothing-burger it serves up on new developments?

A little although I would not phrase it this way.  Some chapters work better then other in this serialized format and this is one that does not work too well in this regard even though I would not mind when reading the whole book.

Edited by Karger

Just now, Karger said:

A little although I would not phrase it this way.  Some chapters work better then other in this serialized format and this is one that does not work too well in this regard but I would not mind when reading the whole book.

Yeah, I know... That's why I expressed my frustration with my inability to use Marasi's talent to speed up time around me and skip to the release of the whole book. 

Also, that would get me past all the U.S. election ads and other nonsense, which would be a nice bonus.

Considering the Heavenly ones like the Windrunners can go long periods without needing to breath and can use gravitation to more quickly travel underwater, throwing that gem in the ocean was real dumb. The only saving grace is that if it's deep in the ocean it can't be searched for through the cognitive realm because it's effectively buried underground there. Though I still feel Odium could find it, especially considering he can use futuresight and could have observed them the entire time while they did that. The only way I can think of that they could have hidden it from his sight while taking it from Urithiru is hiding it in aluminum. 

5 minutes ago, KidWayne said:

Navani had a brief but inconsequential conversation with Szeth. Also, she makes an interesting observation about the perfect void-sphere. There was a touching scene between her and her grandson. 

I want to hear more from Jasnah. I want Nov. 17 to hurry up and get here... :angry: Ahhhhh!!!

I doubt any major, event shaking events will happen within the first chapters of the book. It's all setting things up for us to look back on and go "Oh dang that was important!" 

It is different than a voidlight gem.  What else would be hiding inside?  All of the unmade are different, so it makes sense that the outward manifestion of, say, Dai Gonarthis, would be different than the Thrill.  Gavilar also was adamant that it not fall into the hands of his enemies.  Gavilar also said something to the effect that with the right gem you could hold a god... I think that was to Eshonai but I am AFB right now.

6 minutes ago, the_archduke said:

Gavilar also said something to the effect that with the right gem you could hold a god... I think that was to Eshonai but I am AFB right now.

“My ancestors,” he said, holding up the fabrial, “first learned how to hold a spren inside a gemstone. And with a very special gemstone, you can hold even a god.”

During the prologue

10 minutes ago, the_archduke said:

It is different than a voidlight gem.  What else would be hiding inside?  All of the unmade are different, so it makes sense that the outward manifestion of, say, Dai Gonarthis, would be different than the Thrill.  Gavilar also was adamant that it not fall into the hands of his enemies.  Gavilar also said something to the effect that with the right gem you could hold a god... I think that was to Eshonai but I am AFB right now.

i might be wrong but arent voidlight gems the same as stormlight gems,they just dont know how to capture it like stormlight. And the Unmade might be different but they are still Odium's investiture right? I dunno,it just seems like a rush to think it contains an unmade although we don't really know how Yelig-nar's color was different,I will grant you that

37 minutes ago, Erklitt said:

I don't know whether a kandra man can father a child with a human woman, that sounds unlikely. And I believe him about his wife and son. On the other hand, the son could be from a previous marriage of the wife, or adopted... 

I really thought Brandon had confirmed this was possible, but the most relevant WoB I could find was from 2016 and was a RAFO. Also, Mistborn spoilers I guess (no real spoilers, but it's talking about Mistborn stuff and this is the Stormlight forums)?

Spoiler

Questioner

This became a question, I thought this had been answered, but kandra can't produce kandra children.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, yes they can. You get them some spikes.

Questioner

Can the kandra produce human children with consumed parts?

Brandon Sanderson

You know, I saw a big thread about this on Reddit and chose not to participate, despite being asked to.

Questioner

I thought she said that you did, so…

Brandon Sanderson

I gave vague and unuseful answers, and so I'm going to give the same to you. RAFO.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Edited by Govir

21 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

Hold on,why do we think the gem Navani was inspecting contains an Unmade? They had access to the Kings Drop after it captures Nergaoul and she doesnt reference it when thinking about this new gem,nothing about similarities and all

This is a good point...

If you look only at the description that the difference between a gem with Voidlight (that eventually leaks it away) and this "perfect gem" that contains something similar to, but deeper and more vibrant than Voidlight, that has a warping feeling to it, it seems obvious that it's an Unmade because of Gavilar referring to it s as a "god" and that we know Ba-Ado-Mishram was trapped in this way to end the False Desolation.

But they have, or had, a trapped Unmade in a perfect gem already. If it also looked and felt like that, they'd know.

So either this is not an Unmade in Gavilar's Perfect Gem... Or, each Unmade feels different, and this one (if holding B-A-M) feels "warping" because of all the Parsh Connection somehow forced into it as well?

(The Parsh Connection, that's a good name for a band)

It's time for new mysteries to be explored, which means our old mysteries need to be wrapped up. There's 100% chance that the gemstone contains one of the Unmade, the only question is which. Here are our options:

1. Ba-Ado-Mishram
  2. Chemoarish
  3. Dai-Gonarthis

That's it, that's the list. Every other Unmade has been accounted for somewhere else in the interim.

BAM is the big-bad of the Unmade, so that makes sense. We know pretty much nothing about the other two, which also makes sense. Chemoarish is known as the Dust-mother, and Dai-Gornarthis was said to be involved with the scouring of Aimia. Very little to go on.

9 minutes ago, Blackwarder said:

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that Navahni is gonna wake the sibling early in the book?

I wasn't feeling that until you mentioned it, but now that you have, yes. I can see that happening. What's Navani's role this book? Explore the nature of spren and fabrials. It certainly would be easier if she had a bonded spren to info-dump onto her, and us the readers. I still wouldn't bet on it, but I hadn't even considered it until now.

29 minutes ago, KidWayne said:

I'm glad someone else said it. I just want chapter 17.

And chapter 18...and 19...

Argh!! Is it November yet?

Twenty-eight days remaining...

1 minute ago, robardin said:

This is a good point...

If you look only at the description that the difference between a gem with Voidlight (that eventually leaks it away) and this "perfect gem" that contains something similar to, but deeper and more vibrant than Voidlight, that has a warping feeling to it, it seems obvious that it's an Unmade because of Gavilar referring to it s as a "god" and that we know Ba-Ado-Mishram was trapped in this way to end the False Desolation.

But they have, or had, a trapped Unmade in a perfect gem already. If it also looked and felt like that, they'd know.

So either this is not an Unmade in Gavilar's Perfect Gem... Or, each Unmade feels different, and this one (if holding B-A-M) feels "warping" because of all the Parsh Connection somehow forced into it as well?

(The Parsh Connection, that's a good name for a band)

Yes, I think all the evidence points toward this being an unmade, but I find it strange that someone as smart as Navani wouldn't have thought of that, particularly since she directly refers to the Kings Drop being...well...dropped, in the ocean during the same mental thought session. Why would she have handed it off to a random ardent? Seems very very reckless. But also a very useful plot device for someone t make a mistake like that. 

Anyone else wondering how Cusicesh and the sphere imprisoning the Thrill could end up intertwining? 

Also, quick question just out of curiosity: could nightblood be drained of breaths by a heightened Awakener like Zahel or Azure? Is it possible for a level IV biochromatic entity?