RoW Chapter 16 Discussion

Jofwu

3 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

The Thrill will definitely be back soon. If nazh can get shallans trunk from the bottom of the ocean, surely they can get a Gemstone XD

I had not considered Nazh!

I can see it in my head.

Khriss: Nazh, did you get what I asked for?

Nazh: Well... No. But I brought back an unmade!

Khriss: YOU WHAT!?!?!

10 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Yay, Szeth is back! He seems to be really good at being a prisoner.

Also, am I the only one who gets wierd vibes from the Mink wandering around learning about the security and everything? Could he be a spy for Odium (or the Ghostbloods, or someone else?)

Furthermore, tossing Nergaul into the ocean is dumber than the time the Sons of Honor decided to revitalize religion by ending the world. Odium is just gonna call Dai-Gonarthis, aka the Black Fisher, and Nergaul will be free again. 

Yeah, its good they got it out of Urithiru, but Navani mentions tossing Nightblood into the ocean and I know he's come back from that rather easily then she's like "good thing we tossed the Thrill in the ocean! *mimes washing her hands*" Oh no!

Edited by Child of Hodor

8 minutes ago, Kittalia said:

Anyone else adding "Shallan escapes from handcuffs in a climactic moment" to their bingo card? 

4 minutes ago, I Am A Fish said:

Along with: Fused take swimming lessons...

Also Adolin becomes a riding instructor for kids.

Edited by Nathrangking

25 minutes ago, eltruT said:

I'm most interested to see what happens when those scholars try to use Gavilar's sphere to power fabrials. I think that Gavilar probably already tried this, though.

Edit:

So you can't quote in edits, but I wonder if they might be able to plug it into the fabrial that is Urithiru itself. And yes, throwing Neragoul into the ocean is unbelievably stupid. I wonder what Jasnah thought.

YES, and Navani specifically told them to try to "move the Light to another gem". Whatever Unmade is in there, may soon be coming out. D'OH.

Throwing Nergaoul into the ocean is not stupid if you think it's a way to more or less permanently remove it from the field. But the ocean has santhids and other greatshells, and Cusicesh, and so on. That move could literally come back to bite them.

Navani had already noted that Szeth's Shardblade "could reduce objects to smoke simply by nicking them" - why not try that on the King's Drop? I guess there would be the possibility (from their POV) that that move might smoke the gem and release the Unmade within, as actually destroying an Unmade that way would be kind of inconceivable to them.

Szeth freely admits to Navani he hadn't thought about what would happen to his Third Ideal if Dalinar were to die. He also doesn't seem to care to think about it until he has to. He didn't volunteer any information until asked, a habit pressed on him from his time as Truthless or just how he's always been? He's become like a spren.

And Nightblood had been "speaking into the minds" of those who passed by the prison, and it had taken three demands from Dalinar to get Szeth to restrain it. Interesting. I'm sure Szeth tried just as hard each time, because you know, Skybreaker Third Ideal.

And this detail caught my eye: "humans who had escaped Aimia, the men with their beards bound in cords." So there were also humans there for the Scouring - what happened, anyway? Or are these Aimians not really human? Because if there are Dysian Aimians in Urithiru, with all those little air ducts perfect for eavesdropping if one were small enough, it's like hordeling-cremling heaven.

2 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

“Trust me,” she said, “I am anything but well-connected. I keep finding pieces of myself lying around, forgotten…”

Yes.

Me'thinks it paints a troubling picture of her mental health.

Edited by I Am A Fish
Me not I

The jewlers comment about the weird voidlight gem being flawless, is clear indication of a trapped spren in there. I dont think it would be an unmade though. Hmm...

and i bet its gonna get released when she does her tests on it and itll and maybe come into play when the fused try to attack Urithuru

Edited by Eternal Khol

1 minute ago, Eternal Khol said:

The jewlers comment about the gem being flawless is clear indication of a trapped spren in there. I dont think it would be an unmade though. Hmm...

I think it makes it more likely to be an unmade...

Chaos

Do you need a perfect gemstone to imprison an Unmade or a powerful spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Well, the stronger the spren, the better the gemstone needs to be. Those flaws in the crystal structure are going to lead to leaking if it's not. But an Unmade requires an extra-special level of perfection.

Edited by I Am A Fish

My vote on the black sphere is that it's an Unmade.

I hope to see more of Gavinor in the back 5, but a scene I really want to see is Adolin and Gavinor talking about revenge. Hopefully, Adolin can explain to him how taking someone else's life in cold-blood isn't what it's cracked up to be.

32 minutes ago, Algafix said:

C'mon Brandon, there should be sixteen floors not eighteen :(((

Of note, 18 is twice 9 (aka another important number in Roshar). Or 18 could somehow be important to Cultivation, with 10 then being important just to Honor and 9 being important to Odium.

2 minutes ago, Govir said:

Of note, 18 is twice 9 (aka another important number in Roshar). Or 18 could somehow be important to Cultivation, with 10 then being important just to Honor and 9 being important to Odium.

18 doesn't make a lot of sense to a Shard. In addition, Cultivation is more likely to be 11.

13 minutes ago, Govir said:

IIRC Cultivation number was 3, the reason behind the 3 moons. Or maybe it was just a theory, I can't find the WOB.

What's for sure is that in the Rosharan system there are 10 gas giants (most likely Honors thing, related to each order in the Arcanum map), then 3 planets in the habitable zone (Roshar, Ashyn, Braize) and 3 moons (total of 16 astronomic objects). Also we now that Roshar exist before the shards arrival, but not if the shards have modified the system.

Whatever, 18 is a "new" number in Roshar and I can't find any reason behind it.

Edited by Algafix

We're now seeing the true loss from the death of otherwise terrible human beings Amaram and Ialai Sadeas: they were the last Alethi with any sense regarding spycraft and operational security.  Jasnah herself at least has a personal sense of secrecy, but clearly nobody is providing any sort of leadership on this front.  Hopefully The Mink as an insurrectionary leader could assert himself in this role.

Dalinar allowing Szeth keep Nightblood is almost certainly the best possible decision there, lest it be passed around by soldiers like the Honorblade, among scholars like the unmade gem, or abandoned in the ocean like Neragoul's stone (where it totally won't leave a giant glowing "come get me" sign in Shadesmar).

Yeah I'm a little worried about how they sank The Thrill into the ocean. Shouldn't Odium be able to locate him or would being in a gemstone prevent that? Hopefully they got all they needed from a year of studying it. Maybe the heralds gave them some information. 

And I'm also concerned about giving the black sphere over other people. No matter the scientific intelligence. It most certainly houses an Unmade in my opinion. Probably BAM or Yel. 

1 minute ago, Potus said:

Yeah I'm a little worried about how they sank The Thrill into the ocean. Shouldn't Odium be able to locate him or would being in a gemstone prevent that? Hopefully they got all they needed from a year of studying it. Maybe the heralds gave them some information. 

And I'm also concerned about giving the black sphere over other people. No matter the scientific intelligence. It most certainly houses an Unmade in my opinion. Probably BAM or Yel. 

dont think it's Yelignar,we saw him when he possessed Amaram,not sure where his gem went buttttttt def not back in time though

2 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Dalinar allowing Szeth keep Nightblood is almost certainly the best possible decision there, lest it be passed around by soldiers like the Honorblade, among scholars like the unmade gem, or abandoned in the ocean like Neragoul's stone (where it totally won't leave a giant glowing "come get me" sign in Shadesmar).

Yes, this plan was...poorly thought out. 

Maybe they only told Navani that they dropped it in the ocean? Maybe they lied? 

Storms, I hope they lied. Because otherwise. Yikes. 

With that said, I can't imagine the thrill being another central player in this battle. There are already other unmade we've yet to see--the Thrill coming back seems "realistic" in real life  but not a good plot mover? If that makes sense?

3 minutes ago, Potus said:

It couldn't be Yelignar.

The time line doesn't match up.