RoW Chapter 16 Discussion

Jofwu

I'm most interested to see what happens when those scholars try to use Gavilar's sphere to power fabrials. I think that Gavilar probably already tried this, though.

Edit:

Hmm... everyone says that Gavilar’s sphere is different from normal void light, and Rlain says it rubs against his soul (whatever that means). Combined with the fact that it is a perfect gemstone, I wonder- maybe Gavilar’s sphere contains part of the sibling? Any thoughts in that?

Also- the Coalition did a really storming stupid thing in just tossing Neragoul into the ocean. Seriously? Are y’all kidding me? Well, at the very least it will prevent the Fused from stealing it once they come to the tower... and maybe some Santhid will pick it up and take it far away.

So you can't quote in edits, but I wonder if they might be able to plug it into the fabrial that is Urithiru itself. And yes, throwing Neragoul into the ocean is unbelievably stupid. I wonder what Jasnah thought.

Edited by eltruT

Hey folks! Glad to be back for another great chapter. 

1. THEY THREW THE THRILL IN THE OCEAN?? Who thought that was a good idea???

2. Oh Szeth. Even though you’re a war criminal and perhaps the most deadly living person on Roshar, I still sympathize with you. Poor boy. 

3. Uh, yeah, those scientists are totally going to release an Unmade inside Urithiru. Question is, which one...

Or I guess it could be a Voidspren. I just doubt that, it would be anticlimactic I think given the attention this book is giving that sphere.

Edited by lightweaver spy

2 minutes ago, I Am A Fish said:

Is the coalition trying to be politically correct?

I can see why it'd be imprecise for them. They know not every singer is pro-Odium so calling them all voidbringers doesn't exactly work, not to mention it's a term that encompasses more than just singers.

4 minutes ago, HipsterStick said:

Hmm... everyone says that Gavilar’s sphere is different from normal void light, and Rlain says it rubs against his soul (whatever that means). Combined with the fact that it is a perfect gemstone, I wonder- maybe Gavilar’s sphere contains part of the Sibling? Any thoughts in that?

Part of something would be interesting but I have no idea how it would work.  My working theory is that it is one of Odium's emissary spren(like Ulim).

Also- the Coalition did a really storming stupid thing in just tossing Neragoul into the ocean. Seriously? Are y’all kidding me? Well, at the very least it will prevent the Fused from stealing it once they come to the tower... and maybe some Santhid will pick it up and take it far away.

I am REALLY REALLY hopping that they sunk it at a particular place as a security measure as opposed to just dumping it like idiots.

Other than that, I’m very interested in how little Gavinor turns out. I wonder if he could possibly be a point-of-view character in the back five books? Not necessarily a main character, but a recurring one for certain. Also, Adolin spending time with him is 10,000% an Edgedancer thing to do. 

Agreed.  I wonder if his smallness is caused by genetics or malnutrition.

3 minutes ago, I Am A Fish said:

Is the coalition trying to be politically correct?

I think it more probable they want a more precises and accurate terminology.  Voidbringer is a dangerously catch all term that applies to most sentient races on Roshar.

Edited by Karger

1 minute ago, LuckyJim said:

Maybe, but it probably has more to do with the fact that "voidbringer" was traditionally a word used to describe the humans by the singers.

Just now, Agent34 said:

I can see why it'd be imprecise for them. They know not every singer is pro-Odium so calling them all voidbringers doesn't exactly work, not to mention it's a term that encompasses more than just singers.

I get that. :P I just find it funny.

Does anyone else really want more Mink screen time?

Just now, LuckyJim said:

Maybe, but it probably has more to do with the fact that "voidbringer" was traditionally a word used to describe the humans by the singers.

More so, Voidbringer was used by the humans to refer to monsters, which they then assumed were the Parshendi (or at least what the Parshendi could become). But as of Oathbringer, they found out that humans were actually the Voidbringers.

So I assume they don't use Voidbringer anymore, because they know it actually refers to humans.

I know it's not a lot to go off but I feel that Brother Benneh might be a knadra. Between Baldness (I know it's usual for ardents but that just makes it easier for a kandra to hide among them) and the sagging skin. Maybe they are used to Scadrians and people from Roshar are a little different so the imitation is not perfect? 

2 minutes ago, Tezim said:

I know it's not a lot to go off but I feel that Brother Benneh might be a knadra. Between Baldness (I know it's usual for ardents but that just makes it easier for a kandra to hide among them) and the sagging skin. Maybe they are used to Scadrians and people from Roshar are a little different so the imitation is not perfect? 

An interesting theory but I don't think it would be trouble for a kandra.  Tensoon figures out being a dog pretty quickly.

It's a good feeling when I wake up not thinking about what day it is then remember another chapter is coming!

Damnation, I was expecting there to be a twist with Szeth's being in prison. I guess Brandon course corrected. Big shift from Dalinar making him Navani's bodyguard at the end of OB. 

It probably IS an Unmade or voidspren in that sphere! Brandon redirected speculation on it a few years ago to it just being voidlight. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/352/#e10285

Is this the last of "The Thrill"? It's better off at the bottom of the ocean than Urithiru given what is coming to Urithiru. 

“I am anything but well-connected. I keep finding pieces of myself lying around, forgotten…”

Oh, Shallan :(

“I’m sorry,” Dalinar said. “The Everstorm and Odium have cost us all much.”

“Not that war, Blackthorn.” The Mink gave him a look laden with implication. 

*tugs at collar* eeeeesh. It's tough when you can't remember all the people you or your army killed. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

2 minutes ago, Tezim said:

I find it rather unlikely...

But it's not impossible, Sanderson has made it cannon that there are Kandra in the greater Cosmere.

1 minute ago, Tezim said:

...and the sagging skin. Maybe they are used to Scadrians and people from Roshar are a little different so the imitation is not perfect? 

I would actually look more at them having some Koloss blood in them for any potential crossover, than an imprecision in the Kandra's imitation. 

Only real reaction to the chapter is that the I find the light being bent around Gavilar's sphere somewhat related to the way that large masses bend light around them. It is likely that, for some reason or another, the sphere is more Invested than it should be (maybe holding more Voidlight than should be possible?)

Who needs physical maps when you can holographic maps on a whim! The Mink got you again Dalinar!! I do hope that they made sure that Spark is not watching, because while Taravangian is not welcome a spren spy could learn things in private meetings. Also Dalinar lighten up! Adolin has had a rough time especially since he learned that you killed your wife/his mother!! Cut him some slack!

Yay, Szeth is back! He seems to be really good at being a prisoner.

Also, am I the only one who gets wierd vibes from the Mink wandering around learning about the security and everything? Could he be a spy for Odium (or the Ghostbloods, or someone else?)

Furthermore, tossing Nergaul into the ocean is dumber than the time the Sons of Honor decided to revitalize religion by ending the world. Odium is just gonna call Dai-Gonarthis, aka the Black Fisher, and Nergaul will be free again. 

Just now, Toaster Retribution said:

Yay, Szeth is back! He seems to be really good at being a prisoner.

Also, am I the only one who gets wierd vibes from the Mink wandering around learning about the security and everything? Could he be a spy for Odium (or the Ghostbloods, or someone else?)

Furthermore, tossing Nergaul into the ocean is dumber than the time the Sons of Honor decided to revitalize religion by ending the world. Odium is just gonna call Dai-Gonarthis, aka the Black Fisher, and Nergaul will be free again. 

Let's just be thankful that Nightblood was not tossed in along with Nergaoul!!

9 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

I think they found the truth about the original "voidbringers" to be disheartening and don't want to remind people that the Fused were people who lived on Roshar and were killed in a  war of conquest by humans from another planet that the Fused offered refuge to. It's bad PR, lowers morale.