[BUG] Multiple-Choice Poll Percentages

ElectrumSavant

Example  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Example

There's a bug I noticed (or at least, it seems like a bug).

Consider multiple-choice polls. In these kinds of polls, a person can vote for multiple options at once. So, let's say that the options were:

• Fish
  • Beef
  • Broccoli
  • Chocolate

If I select "Fish", "Beef", and "Broccoli", and I am the only person who has voted, then shouldn't the poll mark Fish, Beef, and Broccoli as all having 100% of the cast votes? After all, 100% of the people who voted cast their vote for those options. But that isn't how the 17S polls work. Instead, it shows the cast vote as a percentage of all of the votes cast, even by the same person. So currently, "Fish", "Beef", and "Broccoli" would all be marked as "33%".

It's possible that this isn't actually a bug, and that there are times that you would want the results displayed in this way (as a percentage of the total votes). But I can't think of such a time. In contrast, I could easily think of when you would want votes graphed in the way I suggested (as a percentage of the total voters). For example, say you are trying to run a poll to see how many people like some of your favorite authors. You put a list of your favorite authors up, and people vote on which of them they like. Wouldn't it make more sense from a viewing perspective that if 100% of the people who vote like Brandon Sanderson, that he should be shown on the poll as 100%?

Does this make sense? Is there a reason that I am missing (besides it being simpler from a coding perspective) for why we would want multiple-choice votes tracked as a percentage of the total amount of votes instead of the total amount of voters?

5f8edf0d28e57_Screenshot2020-10-20at7_57_58AM.thumb.png.7658f28a3a174355ae45efc1c70e531f.png

Edited by ElectrumSavant

• ElectrumSavant changed the title to [BUG] Multiple-Choice Poll Percentages