What happens when you leave the bond on Roshar?

Aspiring Writer

Question

Okay, so i recently ask if there was a way for someone to get a nahel bond of Roshar, and answer was yes, but difficult. So what would happen if someone bonded with a spern, and then just left Roshar? Would the spern just stay and Roshar? Would the bond break, or would they just be waiting there? What happens if you go back to Roshar? Is the bond fine?

4 answers to this question

The Bond exists in the Spiritual Realm which does not care for distance, so it wouldn't break automatically if you do this. But it would be weakened, I think, as a core component of the Bond is emotional which is Cognitive in essence and Physical in practice, so to speak. Summoning the spren as Shardblade might get wonky

Questioner

Is there any effect on a Shardblade if the deadeye is really far away from where the Blade is?

Brandon Sanderson

Define really.

Questioner

The one that's trapped on the ship. Let's say they're taking him to the far side of Shadesmar, but the dude that owns that Blade lives in...

Brandon Sanderson

We will deal with that in the books. There is an effect, but that's not enough of an effect.

Overlord Jebus

Considering no one says that their Shardblade is acting weird in two and a half thousand years.

Brandon Sanderson

That happens all the time in Shadesmar. If you were able to get it off the planet, it would have an effect.

Questioner

If you as the owner of the Shardblade were offworld and you tried to summon it, that would be the effect?

Brandon Sanderson

Either way. But you can't take spren off-world. I mean, you can, but you can't really. Really all that I have in the notes for it to do right now, is to add slightly more time. So you're like, "That's weird that felt like not ten heartbeats, it felt like twelve." But it's like, you're on another planet, then it's suddenly speed of light type stuff. So suddenly it's like, "This is taking three years instead. That's a pretty big deal!"

...So I've got a few weird speed of light things mixed into the cosmere, and that's one of them.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

On 10/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, Aspiring Writer said:

Okay, so i recently ask if there was a way for someone to get a nahel bond of Roshar, and answer was yes, but difficult. So what would happen if someone bonded with a spern, and then just left Roshar? Would the spern just stay and Roshar? Would the bond break, or would they just be waiting there? What happens if you go back to Roshar? Is the bond fine?

Sorry, not to be a downer, but it's spren.