Can you take sperns of Roshar?

Aspiring Writer

Question

6 answers to this question

@Aspiring Writer, the most succinct explanations that I could find were:

FirstSelector

So if I'm a Surgebinder, I have my own Cognitive entity with me. Can I go off-world with that and will everything continue to work in exactly the same way? Because we've seen Cognitive entities that don't--

Brandon Sanderson

So taking a Cognitive entity off-world is hard. So, Surgebinding, if you can find out how to make it happen, remember, the Investiture is keyed to Connection. This is why Kelsier is-- Oh, sorry, spoilers! When a certain somebody *laughter* had trouble getting off Scadrial, because he basically was a spren by that point so--*laughter* ...So, yeah Surgebinding would work off planet, but you'd have to get the spren off-planet first. That's hard to do. Cosmere-wide it's not hard hard but it is-- You'd have to know some stuff. You could learn how.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

OrangeJedi (paraphrased)

Are there a significant number of Shardblades that have made it off Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Define significant.

OrangeJedi (paraphrased)

More than 1 / A number of them are that could come up later.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a connection between spren and Roshar that normally prevents spren, even dead ones, from leaving the planet. Note I said normally; do not imagine a large trade of Shardblades going off world.

Miscellaneous 2018 (Oct. 25, 2018)

Here's a WoB:

Questioner 1

You said that moving people like that [Cognitive Shadows] or spren off-world, from Roshar is difficult.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner 1

What about physically, say the Ones Above visit them, and they fly away?

Brandon Sanderson

So one of the things you'll have to be asking questions and theorizing on is what happens if you try to carry a spren around the planet. What happens to their Cognitive sense, right? So you're on Roshar, right? So on the Physical Realm what would happen-- Because on Shadesmar, you have a flattened version. So there are questions for you to be theorizing implicit in that.  And one of them is, what happens, you cross a threshold circling the globe, your spren, what happens to them? Because-- Okay? This relates to the question you’re asking.

Questioner 2

Wait wait, you have a three dimensional plane coexisting with a two dimensional plane?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, two dimensional is the wrong term, but basically...

Questioner 3

Can you specify the mathematically projection used to create this? *laughter*

Brandon Sanderson

We'll try to give it to you eventually, but this is the sort of stuff that I do that Peter's like "Oh man..." *laughter* "Alright give me the math Peter." "Ahhh what do you mean? I'm not a mathematician." "Eh, y'know. You're close." It is very convenient to have a physicist and a mathematician in my writing group.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

And here's another one if you've read Secret History:

Spoiler

Questioner

Has Kelsier done any worldhopping?

Brandon Sanderson

Kelsier is bound to Scadrial the same way that a spren is bound to Roshar, because of the level of Investiture and the type and the way it happened. It is possible to get off-world but he does not know what it is.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

I've been thinking about this a long while since I am currently running a Mistborn Adventure Game campaign and want to include a higher spren.
Personally, I suspect there might be some way to get Spren/Cognitive Entities keyed to a shardworld (/and by extension Shardblades and stuff) off world by one of the following ways:

• I always thought using Aluminum, plus regular intake of (Secret History Spoiler) 
    Spoiler

Water from Honor's Perpendicularity in the Horneater Peaks in an aluminum vessel, or maybe even the spren in said water in said vessel.

Dunno if this would work, probably not?

• Though I am not quite sure how to get the spren into this equation, Feruchemy could be used to (Bands of Mourning spoiler)
    Spoiler

create unsealed (Aluminum Feruchemy) unkeyed (Duralumin? Nicrosil?) metalminds. Maybe alloy a spren's physical shardplate manifestation?

• (The Emperor's new Soul spoiler) 
    Spoiler

Using Forgery, one could potentially involving a lot of Investiture to rewrite the connections in the Spiritual Realm, but likely that won't unkey the spren from Roshar

I don't know how exactly these could be

On 10/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, RShara said:

I admit, I had to do a triple take on the topic title.

I was googling "what are *spern*" just in case it was a word I don't know. I am ... slow. 
----
@Aspiring WriterAs for taking Spren off world: we know it is possible somehow, but people haven't found a way yet. Aluminum-boxes seem to be a possible component, or perhaps storing or faking/tapping connection may be another useful tool. We have the Aluminum-Chain seen in the Shadesmaar market, so I wonder if that is trying to give us a hint that something is possible with that. I also feel like SIlver might be an element, as we see it react quite strongly to some cognitive entities. 

I don't know if you have read secret history, but we do see a  a cognitive entity taking shelter in a shardpool (though not a standard one) and avoiding some issues with connection because of it, so maybe that is also something that could be worked with. 

In my own opinion, I feel like a combination of connection medallions, aluminum, and undiscovered properties of silver will get a lot done. Silverlight, the place of learning, has got to be named "silver" for a reason, IMO.  However, I assume every magic system would have a potential way of adding something to this problem. Could a divine breath be used to grant this ability to an individual Spren? What about those connection potions that at least one magic system can make? Etc Etc

Edited by teknopathetic