Adventures of Daniel and Marisa-Ch3

Aspiring Writer

Welcome back! The third Chapter has been released, hope you enjoy it! Also, leave your theories down if you want, I'm curious what people think is going to happen.

(Follow me if you want chapter release updates and if you like this, Check out my Sources of the Universe series. That one is much longer.)

Ch1

Spoiler

“My life to yours; My breath become yours.” The man’s Breath flooded into him. Daniel closed his eyes, expecting another feeling like the kind he felt when he first reached the First Heightning; waves of pleasure so powerful that he spasmed on the floor.

Nothing like that happened. He felt no change, no pleasure, not even a slight feeling of strength. Still, he could feel what he had become; he was a person of the Fifth Heightening, ageless and immortal.

It had taken him months to ‘accumulate’ the funds needed for this, not to mention another two thousand Breaths for Marisa. However, he was eventually able to get enough to not just get both Marisa and him to the Fifth Heightening, but he was able to purchase a few extra Breaths for himself; two hundred if he remembered correctly.

He thanked the Awakener who had sold him his Breath and left; he overheard the Awakener taking some Breath he had left in a piece of cloth as he closed the door. Daniel inhaled deeply, enjoying the warmth of the sun. For the first time since he set foot on Nathlis, he let himself relax. The race to gain agelessness was over, and he had all the time in the world.

Now if only he can find out where that rusting woman ran off to.

He tugged his Mistcloak around him as he made his way toward the Court of the Gods. Compared to the bright clothes often worn in Hallandren, his cloak looked downright dull. It was one of the few cloaks that survived the fall of the Final Empire. He could’ve made his own, but having a cloak that was actually worn by a Mistborn made him feel more powerful. Not to mention that Mistcloaks were better for Awakening, in his opinion.

Nobody gave him a glance at his odd choice of clothing. They had long sense accepted his odd sense of style, and who cared what he wore? With two thousand breaths, he could probably strip naked and nobody would care. Even the steel bracers on his arms didn’t catch anyone’s attention.

He reached the entrance of the Court of the Gods. Knowing Marisa, if she was anywhere, she’d be here. He walked past the guards; they didn’t stop him. He relaxed; he had been unaware of how tense he was. The first time he’d tried that, he ended up getting thrown in jail. It wasn’t his fault. How was he supposed to know punching a guard who had his weapon drawn would get him trouble?

He searched the area for Marisa, watching for a tall figure in a long black coat. Then he facepalmed himself. He had forgotten she wasn’t wearing her coat here. She had decided to try out the local fashion, which made finding her all the more difficult.

The sun started to set, and Daniel still had no idea where Marisa was. He sighed and reluctantly approached one of the guards. “Hey, you wouldn’t happen to know where my companion is, would you?” The guards were well familiar that he and Marisa travelled together at that point.

“Yeah, she is at Blushweaver’s place. Been there for the past two days.”

Daniel let out a sigh of relief. He’d been afraid she had gotten herself thrown in jail. But as he made his way toward the direction the guards pointed- he still wasn’t familiar with the area- he found himself getting confused. Blushweaver’s place? Why there?

As he drew close to Blushweaver’s place, he saw Marisa, strolling toward him lazily. She wore red and green robes, and was smiling goofily for some reason. “Hey, how was the purchase.”

“Fine. I got two thousand Breaths, plus the two hundred extra. You?”

She spread her hands and almost fell. He took a quick whiff of her breath and realized she was slightly intoxicated. “Two thousand! We are now both immortal. Now let’s celebrate!”

“I think you’ve had enough celebrating for today.” Daniel took out a glass dagger, checking around to make sure nobody was looking, and stabbed Marisa in the gut.

Marisa grunted, backing away. He watched as her wound closed in the matter of a few seconds. Her eyes focused, as he’d hoped. Tapping health had the odd benefit of removing the effects of intoxication.

“You could’ve just told me to tap health. Rusts, that hurt.”

“It takes forever to convince you. Now where the hell were you these past few days?” he hissed.

Marisa smiled again. “Oh, nothing. I got my Breath, stole some food from some random Returned, and slept with Blushweaver.”

Daniel’s eyes bulged. “You slept with Blushweaver?”

Marisa chuckled. “Yep. Jealous?”

“Rusts, no. I prefer Mercystar. Blushweaver unnerves me. How did even convince her?”

“Didn’t. Pretty sure she was looking for someone when I passed by, and I was more than happy to oblige. Not everyday you get to sleep with some who is considered the goddess of beauty.” She let out a hearty laugh.

“Great. So, what exactly did you steal?” Marisa always liked to take something as a souvenir.

“Did you not hear what I just said?”

“Yes, yes, you slept with her, but what did you steal?”

“Her virginity! That’s what.” She took a fruit out of her pocket and took a bite.

Daniel waited for the punchline; there wasn’t one. “Marisa, you realize she’s been a Returned for years now, right? She’s probably been in bed with tens of people. She lost her virginity a long time ago.”

“You can have more than one virginity.”

“No, you can’t.”

Marisa paused. “Really?”

“Yes! Didn’t you go to school?”

Marisa took another bite of her fruit. “I was somewhat distracted during those lessons.”

“Distracted?” he said flatly.

“The teacher was cute. Wonderful beard. You know you’re a man when you have a beard.”

Daniel felt his naked face blush. “Gee, thanks.”

Marisa’s face turned red. “You know what I mean. So now that we’re immortal, where we going?”

“For tonight, we rest. Tomorrow, we stock up on supplies and make our way to the Perpendicularity. I have enough to get us two horses and a few weeks’ worth of food and water.”

“And the what?”

“Then we go back to Scadrial. I have been on this planet for far too long. I want to go somewhere where my eyes don’t hurt. Besides, we can stock up on metals there.”

Marisa shrugged. “Fine by me as long as you let me get some of those flowers there. Nothing else worth taking here.”

“We can’t waste water taking care of a plant. It’ll die in a week, maybe less.”

“We’re taking it,’ she said firmly.

“Fine, but’s it’s coming out of your water supply.” They left the Court of the Gods as the sky started to go dark, waving to the guards. “By the way, did Blushweaver not notice the spikes?”

“She did. I just said it’s a thing we do where we come from and they’re like earrings for your body and she left it alone.”

Daniel scoffed. “Maybe she’s not as smart as I thought. Then again, not much she can do about it.”

“Yep. So, you’re buying dinner, right?” she asked.

“We don’t have enough. Everything I have we need for tomorrow.”

“Then where we eating?”

“No idea. You have suggestion?”

“Mercystar’s place?” she suggested.

Daniel sighed. “Sure. Remember to include me if you get her drunk enough.”

Ch2

Spoiler

Daniel finished packing his bag, putting in some extra vials of gold and steel. He slung it over his shoulder and went to check on Marisa. He wore his Mistcloak again; he suspected it will be useful where they were going. He wore a shirt that had strips of cloth rather than sleeves coming down like fingers, made for awakening. A rope hanged off his belt with his daggers, as well as a new addition he had purchased recently; a gun.

Marisa was in her rooms, still packing. She was back in her black coat and wide-brimmed hat, a red shirt contrasting nicely with her dark figure. Her fingers were covered with golden rings, all with intricate designs. She didn’t wear earrings- they both found them stylistically unappealing- but if you looked closely, you could see a cadmium spike near her shoulder

He could hear the coins in her pockets when she moved. She had a gun on her belt, as well, though unlike him, she had some practice shooting it. She had an iron dagger on her belt, rather than a steel one. They lost her steel one on their way from Nathline when they came across some vicious spern.

The front door opened. Marcus came to the back of the shop, cursing. “What happened?” Daniel asked.

“Your names are still on the rusting wanted list. Your descriptions are still accurate. Surprised nobody noticed you coming here yet. Nobody has come to the shop, right? You stayed in your rooms?”

“Calm down, Marcus, we were careful to not let ourselves be seen. Why haven’t they declared us dead yet? It’s been years since we’ve been seen here.”

Marcus shrugged. “No idea, but they haven’t, so you and Marisa are still some of the most wanted fugitives in Elendel.”

Daniel groaned. “He agreed to all of it! We paid the guys family every boxing we promised!”

“It doesn’t matter to them if he agreed to it, you still killed the guy! The family was furious when they found out.”

“I gave them a small fortune,” Daniel grumbled. “And what do I get in return for my honesty? My face on a poster.”

Marcus sighed and took out a vial. He downed its contents, which Daniel knew were bronze flakes. Marcus was a Bronze Misting, and while somewhat Cosmere aware, chose to stay at Scadrial running a clothing shop.

He lived in the back of the shop, which had two rooms he reserved for them whenever they were on Scadrial. They often left their mementos in his care, seeing as they couldn’t bring all of their souvenirs with them.

Marisa entered the hall, finished packing. “How’s the family?”

“Living comfortably with all that money you gave them,” Marcus told her. “They probably are part of why you still haven’t been declared dead.”

She scoffed. “If they knew why we killed him, they would definitely make sure we weren’t confirmed dead.”

Marcus pinched the bridge of his nose. “Do you guys have to go? Why don’t you stay here for a few days? Meanwhile, I can see if I can convince everyone having your names there is useless now and that you’re both probably dead.”

Daniel shook his head. “If we wait a few days, we might lose the trail.”

“You really believe someone in the Roughs found a godmetal?”

“The person wasn’t from the Roughs; they simply went there to keep out of the public eye. And honestly, I have no idea if they actually have it, but can you imagine if they did? What if they found a piece of Atium that survived the fall of the Final Empire, or even better, one of the beads of Lerasium? If it’s true, there’s a chance we could be Mistborn!”

Marcus scoffed. “If they really had a bead of Lerasium, they would’ve eaten themselves by now.”

“And if that’s the case, that means we have a Mistborn to befriend.”

Marcus frowned. “There’s nothing I can say that will dissuade you, is there? “

“Nope,” Marisa confirmed.

“If you got spotted out there, the constables will be the least of your worries. You pissed off a lot of people before becoming a fugitive.”

Marisa laughed. “What will they do? They try anything, we’ll just kill them.”

Marcus sighed. “Okay. Guess there isn’t much I can do to stop you even if I wanted to. When do you plan on leaving?”

“Now,” Daniel said.

“Unless you could spare a few boxings so we can buy a steel dagger,” Marisa cut in. “Rather not have to use an iron one.”

“No! I’m already letting you lounge of me for free. Just have him steal one for you.”

“You jest, but we may actually end up doing that.” Marisa pouted. “I miss my old dagger. Why is steel so expensive?”

“Why do you care?” Marcus asked.

“I can eat it; he can tap it. Far more useful to us. Besides, steel is just better in general.”

“I still think you shouldn’t be carrying anything metal on you. One Coinshot and you’re all dead.” He hesitated. “Well, Daniel will be dead. You’ll probably be fine.”

“Don’t sell me short yet,” Daniel said as he opened the door. He motioned for Marisa to go through first.

Marisa took one step outside and paused. She turned back to marcus. “Remember to water my flowers! I don’t want to come back to see them dead.”

“I’ll remember,” Marcus assured her.

Marisa nodded, satisfied, and left, holding her hat down to hide her face.

“What’s so special about those plants anyways?” Marcus asked as Daniel started to leave.

“Invested. Really good dye. You should see if you can grow more of them. Might finally give some color to your selection.”

Marcus’s face turned red. “Are you trying to say my products are dull?!”

“Oh, look at the time, gotta go!” Daniel quickly ran to follow Marisa.

“Wait, come back here!” Marcus cried after him.

Daniel caught up to Marisa, pulling up his hood to hide his face.

“Next time you insult my stock, I’ll show you the true definition of dull!” Marcus cried. He slunk back into his shop.

“You sure it was wise to anger him?” Marisa asked.

Daniel cocked an eyebrow. “You’re one to talk.”

“Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Now hurry up, we don’t want to miss our ride.”

Daniel nodded, grinning like a fool. After months on Nathline and their tiring journey through Shadesmar, he was excited for the thrill of adventure. And who knows? Maybe there really was a godmetal to add to his collection.

Ch3

Spoiler

Marisa leaned against the wall, keeping an eye on Daniel. He spoke to the lawman of the area, some guy nicknamed Sandy. He was scrawny and rough looking, the kind of people those in Elendel imagined when they thought of the Roughs. He had two pals nearby, close enough to overhear their conversation without looking too suspicious.

Daniel’s face had started growing a beard, and his hair was disheveled. He hadn’t bothered keeping up appearance since they started their search, which was helpful out there in the Roughs. Not only did it help him fit in, it helped disguise himself from anyone not looking too closely.

She couldn’t hear their conversation, but she could tell it wasn’t going anywhere. Eventually, Daniel threw his hands up and stormed off. She followed after him, keeping an eye on the lawmen.

“Didn’t have anything?” she said as she caught up.

“Oh, they know something. They just won’t say. Rusting lawman is too tight-lipped.”

She didn’t question how he knew. Even without Perfect Pitch, he had been able to read people with surprising accuracy. However, that didn’t change they fact they had no leads.

They’d been in the Roughs for over a month, following the person they believed carried a god metal. The man had been described as short with long sideburns, with multiple scars on his face. At first, it was easy to keep track of where he was going, but for some reason, everyone they met got tight-lipped when they realized they were asking about him, making it a challenge to get any information on where he went.

Daniel was passing, getting nervous. They had nearly lost track of him before. They couldn’t afford to miss him now.

She rolled her eyes and tossed him her pack. “You wait here. I’ll be back within the hour with the information.”

Daniel started to protest, but she ignored him. She asked someone where the local tavern was and made her way there. She could feel Daniel roll his eyes with her Perfect Life Sense.  She ignored them and squinted as she left his coppercloud, restoring her color aura. She got a few glances, but nobody said anything.

She entered the tavern and yelled for the bartender to give her a drink. The entire room looked at her, measuring her up, and then continued with whatever they were doing. The bartender laid a drink out on the table for her. She gave him a few chips and gulped the whole thing down.

She tapped some health and her mind cleared. She asked for another cup. The bartender raised an eyebrow but obliged. She bought three more rounds before deciding that any more and she’d be expected to pass out. She stumbled to the far corner, trying to feign drunkenness; she could feel peoples’ eyes on her as she nearly fell.

She kept an ear open for anything useful, keeping a constant draw of health. She was aware of the effects of burning too much metal could have on someone, and Daniel was pretty sure tapping too much could have a similar effect, so she tried to avoid it whenever possible.

She was slowly forgotten, becoming just another drunk in the corner. She stayed there, slouched and cross-eyed, but keenly aware of everything being said around her. It was mostly nonsense; just a bunch of locals talking about their day-to-day. One group, however, spoke in hushed tones. She nudged over to overhear.

“- mors? Well, the place he stayed in, I’m friends with the owner, and she told me she tried to find ‘it’, and couldn’t see a thing. Searched the entre room when he went to eat. All they found were vials of tin.”

“So, he’s a tin-eye. Not that surprising. It’s probably why he was able to find it. Maybe he stashed it in one of the vials to disguise it?” one of his friend’s suggested.

“Maybe. Too late now anyways. The guy left a few days ago, going further north. Wonder why.”

“What was his name again?”

The man pursed his lips. “He said it was Kelis, but my friend found a letter referring to him as Tallin.”

“You friend has guts. Surprised she isn’t dead.”

The man shrugged. “Believe me, it’s not the riskiest thing she has done. Lass pissed of a Pewterarm even when he threatened to break her arm. She’s lucky only her thumb was broken.”

The friend whistled. “So that’s how it happened. Always assumed she fell the wrong way.”

Their conversation moved to other topics. She got up; she had found out what she wanted. She drew stares as she left, either from her sudden soberness or her color aura. Daniel waited outside, an irked look on his face. “Well?”

She took her pack from him. “He’s headed north. Also found a little bit about our mystery man.”

Daniel nodded. “We’ll talk about it on the way. Come on.” They went back to their horses, which they’d left in the care of lady who owned the hostel. She looked at her right hand and noticed the broken thumb the men at the bar had mentioned. It zigzagged awkwardly, the bone slightly jutted out.

She hopped onto her horse beside Daniel and started riding north.

“You know where we’re going?” she asked.

“There’s only one outpost to the north close enough for him to ride to. If we’re lucky, maybe we’ll catch him there. So, what did you find out?”

“Remember that name I heard a few times before, Tallin? Well, that appears to be the name of our mystery man.”

Daniel narrowed his eyes. “You sure?”

She nodded. “That lady back there found a letter with the name. Seems too much of a coincidence. So, ever heard of anyone by that name?”

Daniel shook his head. “No, never. Did that lady find anything else out?”

“During her search of his rooms, they found vials of tin.”

Daniel pursed his lips. “Tineye, huh? Not surprised an allomancer was the one to find the godmetal. Did she find anything about the metal?”

Marisa shook her head. “Nothing. Maybe he doesn’t have it. Seems odd that someone would come out here after finding a god metal.”

Daniel hesitated. “No. But something good has to come out of this even if it is just a rumor, right?”

She shrugged. She wasn’t one to complain about going off somewhere on a whim. Besides, they were immortal, they had all the time in the Cosmere to waste.

“So, let’s say the god metal they found was Atium, what would we do with it?” She waited for Daniel to respond. When he didn’t, she glanced over and saw his eyes glazed over, his movements sluggish. He was storing speed while they were riding. Marisa sighed and grabbed his horse’s reins to keep it on track.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

Just now, DramaQueen said:

Good writing, for sure. I will agree with Fadran that the direction was a tad unexpected.

Holy crap, I have been graced by Drama Queen herself! I was wondering I you would ever read anything of mine. Yes, I'll admit, it was out of nowhere, but i thought it would be a pretty interesting way to introduce these two world hoppers.

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

I, for one, am not a fan of sexual content. I won't say that it can't be effective for narrative sense, but I certainly won't agree that it's the best option. I try to keep the NSFW dial to a minimum in my writing.

I agree to some extent, but it was only referenced. I feel that the references are fine. It's a thing people do, you don't have to ignore it, but that doesn't mean you need to describe it. Also... I'm pretty sure BS has quite a few of those, now that I think about it. Didn't Vin fight naked?

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I agree to some extent, but it was only referenced. I feel that the references are fine. It's a thing people do, you don't have to ignore it, but that doesn't mean you need to describe it. Also... I'm pretty sure BS has quite a few of those, now that I think about it. Didn't Vin fight naked?

Yes, BS does have quite a few of those. I put down Warbreaker for a week after I first got it. I was traumatized for a few days after the first time Wayne and MeLaan made out. Heck, even drawing Ayia with a short tunic made me question what I was doing a little.

2 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Holy crap, I have been graced by Drama Queen herself! I was wondering I you would ever read anything of mine. Yes, I'll admit, it was out of nowhere, but i thought it would be a pretty interesting way to introduce these two world hoppers.

Holy crap? Graced by...me? I don't understand why that's a big deal... Especially since Fadran is here, too.

It's definitely interesting, and an effective introduction if that's an important part of their character. Don't just include it to include it, though.

2 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I, for one, am not a fan of sexual content. I won't say that it can't be effective for narrative sense, but I certainly won't agree that it's the best option. I try to keep the NSFW dial to a minimum in my writing.

Gotta agree with Fadran here. But to each their own, and I think you kept it down enough for people like us to deal with it. As long as you give us cool fighting scenes and epic reveals, we'll be happy.

Just now, DramaQueen said:

Holy crap? Graced by...me? I don't understand why that's a big deal... Especially since Fadran is here, too.

It's definitely interesting, and an effective introduction if that's an important part of their character. Don't just include it to include it, though.

Gotta agree with Fadran here. But to each their own, and I think you kept it down enough for people like us to deal with it. As long as you give us cool fighting scenes and epic reveals, we'll be happy.

^ ^ ^ Oh yeah, I'm not complaining, Aspire. I'm certainly not trying to call you out.

Yes, BS does have quite a few of those. I put down Warbreaker for a week after I first got it. I was traumatized for a few days after the first time Wayne and MeLaan made out. Heck, even drawing Ayia with a short tunic made me question what I was doing a little.

... okay, how old are you two, because I might be very unaware how much more tolerant I am to that kind of stuff. Like, if that's bad... 

3 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Yes, graced. You see, I already started to get to know Fadran, so less graced and more, "Yes, it's Fadran!" I still have no idea if you have even read a single of my Sources of the Universe, and I barely have a chance to actually talk to you, so yes, for now, it is graced.

I will certainly be having lots of fights and reveals. While I do tend to have a little of this stuff, they far and few between and don't make up much of what I write.

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

... okay, how old are you two, because I might be very unaware how much more tolerant I am to that kind of stuff. Like, if that's bad...

Oh, it certainly isn't my age; just my standards.

Yes, graced. You see, I already started to get to know Fadran, so less graced and more, "Yes, it's Fadran!" I still have no idea if you have even read a single of my Sources of the Universe, and I barely have a chance to actually talk to you, so yes, for now, it is graced.

Neither Queen nor I believe we're really that epic or intimidating, which is one of the many reasons why we also believe that we're secretely the same person from alternate Universes.

I will certainly be having lots of fights and reveals. While I do tend to have a little of this stuff, they far and few between and don't make up much of what I write.

I'm 16. It's definitely not bad, it's just that we're different people.

I will strive to talk to you more!! Also, where can I find your Sources of the Universe? I don't think I've seen them at all. I can't wait to read more of this!!!

6 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Oh, it certainly isn't my age; just my standards.

Neither Queen nor I believe we're really that epic or intimidating, which is one of the many reasons why we also believe that we're secretely the same person from alternate Universes.

Okay, I need to rectify my own standard then, because my next two SotU chapters have a little bit. Need to rework that. (It's not much, but it's a tad more than this. Then again, i don't think my definition of not much is the same as yours. I'm so confused now.)

Also, i don't technically see you as intimidating, not any more than any see any new person that I want to be friends with. I'm always nervous for a week and then start to relax and get comfortable. Also the graced thing seemed fitting okay, your name is drama, and everyone somewhat does treat you like a queen. And Fadran is Fadran, he's cool and I'm still gauging whether or not he might be seeing me as a nuisance 

8 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

I'm 16. It's definitely not bad, it's just that we're different people.

I will strive to talk to you more!! Also, where can I find your Sources of the Universe? I don't think I've seen them at all. I can't wait to read more of this!!!

Nice to know. I'm was surprised hearing you had to put down the book when you read those scenes. I was fine, I even laughed at the Wayne and Melaan one. Can't imagine how you reacted to the Reshi.

Also, you can find my Sources of the Universe in Creator's Corner, you can't miss it. The latest thread has all the chapters there. Excited to see what you think.

8 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Um, speaking of Sources of the Universe, can I recommend you just make one thread for them, rather than one every time you release a chapter? Avoiding clutter is a good thing plus you don't want Chaos breathing down you neck

yeah, will do. The latest thread has all the chapters anyway, so I'll just keep updating that. Makes my job easier anyway.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Okay, I need to rectify my own standard then, because my next two SotU chapters have a little bit. Need to rework that. (It's not much, but it's a tad more than this. Then again, i don't think my definition of not much is the same as yours. I'm so confused now.)

You don't have to change your own work just to work into the standards of somebody else. Then again... I'm less likely to be willing to peer-edit something with what I'd consider to be sexual.

Maybe I could do a mini-lesson on romance in writing? Just to help people define where they stand on the large gradiant of passionate scenes?

You don't have to change your own work just to work into the standards of somebody else. Then again... I'm less likely to be willing to peer-edit something with what I'd consider to be sexual.

Maybe I could do a mini-lesson on romance in writing? Just to help people define where they stand on the large gradiant of passionate scenes?

Don't worry, I don't change things unless I think it should. I'm still keeping in the reference to them having %$# because it makes sense for both characters. You'll see what I mean. And by reference, I mean you can tell what's gonna happen, you can tell what did happen, but it's never explicitly said. 

Also, please do, that'll be an interesting read.

Edited by Aspiring Writer