Hoid (I know, probably redundant)

NightbloodtheMistborn

Question

Everybody knows that Hoid is in every Cosmere book, but where exactly does he come from? Like, is there any information whatsoever regarding where he came from and how he gets from world to world? All Google would tell me is that he is from Yolen, but I don't even know what that is. XD

Thanks!

Edited by NightbloodtheMistborn
I misspelled a word

5 answers to this question

Hoid is from Yolen, a planet that we don't know very much about. He gets from world to world via the cognitive realm. Different Shards have perpendicularities that can be used to go from the cognitive realm to the physical realm. Some examples are the Well of Ascension, the Horneater Peaks. There is going to be a book released in the future about Hoid, called Dragonsteel. 

On 10/19/2020 at 0:53 PM, NightbloodtheMistborn said:

Everybody knows that Hoid is in every Cosmere book, but where exactly does he come from? Like, is there any information whatsoever regarding where he came from and how he gets from world to world?

As mentioned Hoid is from Yolen, which is the world in the Cosmere where humanity first arose. Hoid is slightly older than the sixteen Vessels and almost the oldest being in the Cosmere, though we don't know exactly what is giving him this immortality except that it's somehow related to the means used to kill Adonalsium. Also as mentioned, Yolen is where the Shattering happened and (as you can probably guess) where all sixteen of the people who Ascended to the Shards called home at one point.

Yolen still exists but it's been 'shrouded' in some way that made it extremely hard for Khriss (the Cosmere's premiere scholar) to find. The letters seen in the Way of Kings/Words of Radiance epigraphs are being written to and from another character who's still living there.

As for how Hoid gets around, as mentioned there are these things called Perpendicularities that allow you to transit between the Physical and Cognitive Realms ('Shadesmar' on Roshar is a part of the CR), prior to that term being given to us they were unofficially called Shardpools since they tend to resemble bodies of liquid. Because the Cognitive Realm is shaped by thought, any space where there isn't anyone in the Physical Realm doing any thinking is extremely compressed. This means that while you may need weeks or months to cross a planet's Cognitive 'zone', you can cross the space between worlds in a matter of minutes.

51 minutes ago, NightbloodtheMistborn said:

Everybody knows that Hoid is in every Cosmere book, but where exactly does he come from? Like, is there any information whatsoever regarding where he came from and how he gets from world to world? All Google would tell me is that he is from Yolen, but I don't even know what that is. XD

Thanks!

Yolen is very old planet, and is probably from (in Cosmere) humans are. This is also place where Shattering happens, and original Shard Vessels are from Yolen (Mean Ati, Leras, Edgli e.t.c.).

More about Yolen is on Coppermind.