17 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

You can't remove the sight of the open flesh or knowledge of what you're doing. (And you need to see so you can find the tin)

Hmmmm

not remove the tin feels fully. Also twinborn A-steel and F-tin and then ya got it. 

oh but then you wouldn’t do the whole get the idea of searching through somebody’s body out of your head. Darn.

challenge! We need to solve this predicament using F-tin that would be about as efficient as just forgetting it with a coppermind.

Just now, Koloss17 said:

Hmmmm

not remove the tin feels fully. Also twinborn A-steel and F-tin and then ya got it. 

oh but then you wouldn’t do the whole get the idea of searching through somebody’s body out of your head. Darn.

challenge! We need to solve this predicament using F-tin that would be about as efficient as just forgetting it with a coppermind.

Well here's the thing, if you use tin to remove all feeling, you may end up losing all empathy towards people in pain, so Tin could make you okay with it, however, you'd be considered insane and dangerous.                    

Actually, that's a good character idea, someone who used tin to remove all pain and starts inflicting it and becomes terrified of pain and the end of his arc is getting all his metalminds removed and everything hurts him because he's so sensitive.

25 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

FROM HENCEFORTH, SHALL IT BE KNOWN ALL TIN COMPOUNDERS SHALL BE NAMED... TIN TWINS

Wait a tin twinborn, whether A or F tin, is a tin twin, but a tin compounder it a double tin twin, or twin tin twin.

Spoiler

Say that five times fast

Edited by Koloss17

30 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I’m actually surprised no one has been able to find a Feruchemantic Metal that is better overall than tin. 

Duralumin, brass, bronze, and steel. Also bendalloy, cadmium, gold, copper, and zinc.

in other words, tin is down there as one of the worst ferring abilities

Edited by Doomstick

6 hours ago, Doomstick said:

Duralumin, brass, bronze, and steel. Also bendalloy, cadmium, gold, copper, and zinc.

in other words, tin is down there as one of the worst ferring abilities

So I said best overall. For this let’s say that means it is good in fighting, casual day-to-day stuff, and being useful while traveling  the cosmere, which I have a feeling will be very important later on.

now duralumin stores connection. Nice for day-to-day life, since you can form bonds with people easily, as well as be less existent to others when you want to read. I can see it being useful in combat by either almost fully storing it or almost fully tapping it. It isn’t too efficient with that, though. Useful across the cosmere is definitely yes. It is very useful for that. I would say it is a pain to store sometimes, though.

brass stores Warmth. Useful in day-to-day life, not so useful in combat. It could be useful for general travel, but the cosmere, with all the scary stuff in the cognitive and dangerous beings? Not so much.

Bronze stores wakefulness. That is useful in day-to-day life, but again, not too useful in combat. It is useful for general traversing, and it will help you travel longer, but not easier per se.

now steel might be a challenge. It is useful in day-to-day life, and DEFINITELY useful in combat. It is probably the feruchemantic metal for combat. Traversing the cosmere is also a lot easier. Now, storing is a bit tough, since you go really slow, which would be a pain.   Now since it is really close, I will bring up F-tin’s forte. It combining with other magic systems. Steel is a very useful metal on its own, but mixed with other things will not create something amazing other than really fast stuff. You would be able to quicken aons, which is fair. And there is plenty of magic systems that can allow you to store speed without much of a penalty.  Otherwise, when you combine a magic system with F-steel, it will not give you something extra. F-tin on the other hand, has tons of reverse compounding things with other magic systems, which would allow for savantism-in that aspect. Tin has so many things that can be stored that you basically can have a metalmind for every scenario, even on its own.

cadmium stores calories. It can be useful in day-to-day life, but not so much for combat. You can’t do too much with calories in combat. Traversing the cosmerewise, it is pretty much like bronze. Less need for stops, doesn’t make the obstacles easier. 

cadmium stores breath. It isn’t too useful in day-to-day life, isn’t too useful in a fight, unless it is a stealth thing, and is not useful for traversing. I’m interested in why ya chose this one.

gold stores health. It is useful sometimes in day-to-day life, but only when you are hurt. It is definitely useful in combat, and will be useful no matter where you are. It has the downside of storing being really annoying. Being sick is not fun.

copper stores memories. Quite useful in day-to-day life, not too useful for combat. Useful for remembering things in the cosmere, though.

zinc is good for day-to-day life, useful in combat, and hmmm. It has the drawback of not being fun to store, sadly. 

Now to tin. Tin stores senses. ALL the senses. It is very useful for day to-day-life, in combat, both for noticing things that are attacking you and when you store pain. That is going to save you a lot in battle, especially from dying of shock. Traveling the cosmere is a definitely yes. It mixes with a lot of things and helps you be more aware of dangers. It also has the upside of being relatively easy to store, and many times, useful.

I’m glad that I got to do this thing. I dunno whether or not you are trolling though.

4 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

brass stores Warmth. Useful in day-to-day life, not so useful in combat. It could be useful for general travel, but the cosmere, with all the scary stuff in the cognitive and dangerous beings? Not so much

what of tapping so much that you burn someone?

4 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Bronze stores wakefulness. That is useful in day-to-day life, but again, not too useful in combat. It is useful for general traversing, and it will help you travel longer, but not easier per se.

I'd expect that if you tapped bronze during battle, you would have more endurance which would be extremely useful

6 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

now steel might be a challenge. It is useful in day-to-day life, and DEFINITELY useful in combat. It is probably the feruchemantic metal for combat. Traversing the cosmere is also a lot easier. Now, storing is a bit tough, since you go really slow, which would be a pain.   Now since it is really close, I will bring up F-tin’s forte. It combining with other magic systems. Steel is a very useful metal on its own, but mixed with other things will not create something amazing other than really fast stuff. You would be able to quicken aons, which is fair. And there is plenty of magic systems that can allow you to store speed without much of a penalty.  Otherwise, when you combine a magic system with F-steel, it will not give you something extra. F-tin on the other hand, has tons of reverse compounding things with other magic systems, which would allow for savantism-in that aspect. Tin has so many things that can be stored that you basically can have a metalmind for every scenario, even on its own.

I was under the impression that we were just talking about feruchemy, also, in many people's lives, there are periods of inactivity such as listening to music, watching tv, audiobooking, sitting in the car, etc. so storing wouldn't be that much of a pain. another point about it is that if you need to be able to move normally, you can always stop storing, so you could do many short periods of storing interrupted by normal speed when you need to do something (like turn a page).

9 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

cadmium stores calories. It can be useful in day-to-day life, but not so much for combat. You can’t do too much with calories in combat. Traversing the cosmerewise, it is pretty much like bronze. Less need for stops, doesn’t make the obstacles easier. 

*bendalloy

10 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Now to tin. Tin stores senses. ALL the senses. It is very useful for day to-day-life, in combat, both for noticing things that are attacking you and when you store pain. That is going to save you a lot in battle, especially from dying of shock. Traveling the cosmere is a definitely yes. It mixes with a lot of things and helps you be more aware of dangers. It also has the upside of being relatively easy to store, and many times, useful.

tin is useful in many situations, yes, but it wouldn't significantly improve those situations, seeing as the benefits come with downsides, such as blinding light, deafening sound, etc. also, improved senses in a fight wouldn't actually do that much unless one had zinc, as the human eye is already very good at perceiving movement, enhancing touch would work, allowing one to feel disturbances in air, but that comes with the downside of not only making one unable to dull pain, but enhancing it too.

TL;DR, tin is a jack of all trades, where other metals are very good at specific things. I would choose steel if I could, as it is very useful in every circumstance, but bronze and brass are both extremely useful in everyday life, which (as the name implies) is most of the time. 

1 hour ago, Doomstick said:

TL;DR, tin is a jack of all trades, where other metals are very good at specific things. I would choose steel if I could, as it is very useful in every circumstance, but bronze and brass are both extremely useful in everyday life, which (as the name implies) is most of the time. 

I’d be comfortable with that assessment. 

14 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

As the best as in the most versatile overall? I’d like to hear that argument.

5 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Yes, that would be an interesting argument for both things, that being versatility and whatever you were actually referring to. Please share, feruchemy always fascinates. me.

I'll try my best to make an argument.

So, have you seen a brandon sanderson meme and immediately thought, I don't want to remember that, but you can't get it out of your head? F- Copper.

Having trouble remembering what you needed to do? Just store it in copper so you can pull your to do list out whenever you want.

Want to ace that test? Just read all the material before hand, then store it so you can pull that stuff out later.

Want to be able to see something again? Just store it in F- Copper.

Ever have a brandon sanderson meme that you thought of when you were away from the 17th shard and you come back and you can't remember what it was? F- Copper.

12 minutes ago, HoidWasTaken said:

I'll try my best to make an argument.

So, have you seen a brandon sanderson meme and immediately thought, I don't want to remember that, but you can't get it out of your head? F- Copper.

Having trouble remembering what you needed to do? Just store it in copper so you can pull your to do list out whenever you want.

Want to ace that test? Just read all the material before hand, then store it so you can pull that stuff out later.

Want to be able to see something again? Just store it in F- Copper.

Ever have a brandon sanderson meme that you thought of when you were away from the 17th shard and you come back and you can't remember what it was? F- Copper.

So that is definitely a contender for the most useful in day-to-day life. Now, would it be useful throughout the cosmere or in combat, where we see a lot of things used? I don’t think so, but I might be wrong.

Just now, Koloss17 said:

So that is definitely a contender for the most useful in day-to-day life. Now, would it be useful throughout the cosmere or in combat, where we see a lot of things used? I don’t think so, but I might be wrong.

Oh most definitely not. You don't see Sazed holding the gate with the power of knowledge.

46 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I think that you are a bit too fixated on combat, the average person would not get into too many fights in the cosmere. Worldhoppers are even rarer.

2 minutes ago, Doomstick said:

I think that you are a bit too fixated on combat, the average person would not get into too many fights in the cosmere. Worldhoppers are even rarer.

That is fair, I suppose. If we are speaking average people, or more specifically, average feruchemists, the average Ferring, which would be at least era 2, would not be in many fights. If we are talking books, though, there are two big things that are entertaining in your average cosmere setting. That is fights and interconnectivity of the cosmere. And off of your point, there is reason for just day-to-day average human Stuff. That’s my reasoning for why I chose those three. I am welcome to adjustments on what I should be arguing, though. 

Spoiler

That might have came off a bit harsh maybe. I don’t intend that, but internet does that. I want to come off as a reasonable human that is happy to argue with people, cuz arguing is fun. Sorry if I didn’t come off that way.

Well, @Koloss17 is simply saying there are combative applications while there aren't as many for copper, but he does have many applications for day to day, which is why he makes the claim that Tin is the best metal.

but steel and duralumin are better

Speed and Connection? Lets see, uses in everyday life and combat.

Well, lets start with Speed

We know that with enough speed, you can move much faster than the human mind can actually process without dying (We know this because of the Sazed/Marsh Fight), or at least close enough. Point is, you can go fast which would be helpful in a fight. Doesn't matter how skilled your opponent is when they already have a knife 5 inches into their back.

If you sit around long enough, you can make it to the store and back without wasting gas in good time.

You can type even faster than 70 wpm (at least for me).

Um... Any other ideas?

As for Duralumin/Connection...

No obvious uses in combat. Very similar to copper in that regard, it is a very mental ability.

As for out of combat...

We know from Dalinar and Mistborn book 6 that if you were to travel to a place and tap connection, you could speak the language there.

Want to try and ruin your friendships (Which, if you have those, why are you here?) You can do it through duralumin maybe sorta kinda.

Alternatively, if you want to go make some friends, Duralumin can help you make those connections faster.

I think my perspective has changed. If I could have 1 feruchemical ability, it would be either Tin/Senses, Copper/Memories or Zinc/Mental Speed.