31 posts in this topic

Now I’ll give a disclaimer, this has to do with General cosmere realmic theory, so if you don’t want to be spoiled on magic systems of the cosmere, this aint the place for you.

I made this because of @Aspiring Writer, and what better tome to make it than my shardiversery!

here I recruit people for F-tin being the best possible power in the whole of everything.

F-tin is great. It can store your senses. Makes things a lot more convenient, frankly. You don’t have to hear people if you don’t want to, you don’t have to smell things you don’t want to, and you don’t have to see things you don’t want to. It also allows you to see, hear, smell, feel, and taste things better. That means every food you taste will be a LOT better and you can see, hear, and smell things from a while away.
But those aren’t the only senses. 

you have sense of balance. Store that while you are sitting down, and you can traverse anything without a hiccup. 
you have sense of heat or cold. Of course your body will still have those effects when you are storing it, but you will not really feel it. Which is actually great for dealing with hypothermia. 
you have sense of location. You can know exactly where you are in the world-or possibly the cosmere.

and then you have sense of pain. You can null any sort of pain without consequence, for the most part. This is nice in combat and in normal life. Stub your toe? Don’t feel it. Have a headache? Don’t feel it. It can of course be dangerous to not feel pain, but it is quite powerful still.

but that is not all you can do. Not by far.

You can mix magic systems. More easily with Feruchemy and allomancy, so let’s start with that. 

you can store steelsight-those lines that eminate from you while burning steel or iron. This gives you a 360 degree view of your surroundings, which is fantastic.

you can store atium, electrum, malatium, and gold shadows; allowing you to push what is possible for each of those metals.

you can store bronze sight, allowing you to do amazing things with the extra bronze.

you can store balance from pewter and other senses from tin as well.

You could also store other things from other feruchemantic metals, such as balance in steel and balancing out warmth and cold in bronzeminds. 

then let’s get to other magic systems, starting with Roshar.

the surge of gravitation allows you to have some extra sense of direction, or so I would assume, given that you are not ever-disoriented when you use it. A lot actually, given some things with honorblades 

Spoiler

People who picked up the honorblades can pull themselves all over the place without problem.

You could store that sense of location in a tinmind.

Then there is the surge of adhesion. It seems that there is a boost to your sense of balance, allowing you to not succumb to your own powers. You could store that boost of balance in a tinmind.

We don’t quite know how void-futuresense works, but it might allow for storing in a tinmind (I haven’t read the RoW chapters so it might be known, but I don’t want to know).

moving on to sixth of dusk. You could totally store the death sight that some birds give, which would allow some crazy things.

then there is Nalthis. I don’t know whether or not you can store perfect color recognition or perfect pitch, but it is a possibility. 

that is definitely not all of the great things that tin can store, but it is most of them.

Now tin works wonderfully on it’s own, but is so much more powerful with other things. It does not just allow a shortcut for storing certain things, it also allows you to reverse compound, leading to Feruchemical savantism. The almighty Brando Sando said such:

Questioner

There are Allomantic savants, are there Feruchemical savants?

Brandon Sanderson

Much harder to do. My feeling on Feruchemical savants was because it was your own power in the first place, you can't steep in it so much in the way. But, if you can get someone else's power or if you are fueling your Feruchemy another way, you would become one. So, the Lord Ruler is a good example.

Questioner

Was Miles a...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Miles would be the same sort of thing.

Questioner

Is that why he didn't die as quickly in the execution?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

So yeah. Normally no but if you can Compound you become... basically that is how I am explaining part of the Compounding abilities. 

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

This means that through reverse compounding, you can become very powerful indeed. 

In conclusion, tin is useful for both civilian life and soldier life. It fits into any sort of life, really. It has an array of capabilities that can be used in just about any situation. And it blends seamlessly with many other magic systems. I challenge you to find another ability that does all of that but better than F-tin. If you can’t, I challenge you to join this cult and spread the word.

30 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I’m in! I join the cult!

Yes! One more member!

On 10/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, Koloss17 said:

the surge of gravitation allows you to have some extra sense of direction, or so I would assume, given that you are not ever-disoriented when you use it. A lot actually, given some things with honorblades 

I don't think that the surge of gravtiation has extra directional sense, considering that

Spoiler

Kaladin had to spend all that time training in the chasms, and the bridge 4 members that become squires fly awkwardly at first.

But I do think that F-tin is an awesome power! (Torture? Useless).

Wow. That’s really cool. And for your shardiversary! I’m in too. This is super cool. 

11 hours ago, Nameless said:

I don't think that the surge of gravtiation has extra directional sense, considering that

Hide contents

Kaladin had to spend all that time training in the chasms, and the bridge 4 members that become squires fly awkwardly at first.

I’d say you can make an arguement for that! I honestly don’t know, but awkwardly is different from miserably failing because you never fell up or sideways before. But it is a question to ponder.

1 hour ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

Wow. That’s really cool. And for your shardiversary! I’m in too. This is super cool. 

And more members! 

I’ve given some thoughts to what you do aaa a cult, and I thought that we should figure out some more ways Tim is superior than anything else and come up with names for people with the combos.

I’m thinking that an A-steel F-tin twinborn should be a scout or something like that. They can see everything with steelsight and 360 vision as well as ordinary tin. Plus, they can push themselves into the air for a better vantage point. The perfect scout or guard. The one downside is that “scout” is kind of lame sounding. 

On 10/19/2020 at 8:09 PM, Nameless said:

I'll just take your tin.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, Koloss17 said:

you can store steelsight-those lines that eminate from you while burning steel or iron. This gives you a 360 degree view of your surroundings, which is fantastic.

you can store atium, electrum, malatium, and gold shadows; allowing you to push what is possible for each of those metals.

you can store bronze sight, allowing you to do amazing things with the extra bronze.

Do we have WOBs confirming these?

The steelsight one seems iffy to me. It doesn’t feel like a new sense, it’s still just Sight, and your just seeing things other people can’t. 

@Koloss17 Yes! You made it. All you read this comment, please leave your vote for the name I made for the group, the Tin Theology. Yay or nay?

So little something, if you could, can you find whatever WoB that tells us stuff like F-Tin being able to store death sense or steelsight? I'm familiar with a lot of those, but plenty is news to me. Pretty sure many would agree.

56 minutes ago, Danex said:

The steelsight one seems iffy to me. It doesn’t feel like a new sense, it’s still just Sight, and your just seeing things other people can’t. 

See?

On 10/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I’m in! I join the cult!

Wiser words have never been spoken.

6 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

@Koloss17 Yes! You made it. All you read this comment, please leave your vote for the name I made for the group, the Tin Theology. Yay or nay?

So little something, if you could, can you find whatever WoB that tells us stuff like F-Tin being able to store death sense or steelsight? I'm familiar with a lot of those, but plenty is news to me. Pretty sure many would agree.

See?

Wiser words have never been spoken.

7 hours ago, Danex said:

Herowannabe

I recently picked up the Mistborn Adventure game and am loving it. I made a character who is a blind Mistborn because hey, I thought it would make for some interesting possibilities. As I understand Allomancy, he can hear/sense well enough to get around with Tin, plus even though he's blind he can still "see" steel lines (like the inquisitors), and I assume Atium would work the same way- that is, he could still "see" Atium shadows. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Brandon Sanderson

No, you're right. That works. He'd have to burn metals a LOT though. It might warp him a little. :)

/r/fantasy AMA 2013 (April 15, 2013)

Proof! This WoB is saying that he could see atium even if he doesn’t have sight, so it is a separate sense. Steelsight was also mentioned as yes. From there, I think it’s fair to extrapolate gold, malatium, and electrum, given that they basically do the same thing.

on bronze, the inquisitors, though blind, can still use bronze. Ergo, not the same as sight. If it isn’t the same as sight, I don’t think it’ll fit into any other sense, so we have a new separate sense. Therefore, it can be stored in a tinmind! 

I’m happy that I got to share my research other than the claims I make!

also tin theology or tin theologians is an idea, but I think if we can get enough ideas for names, I can do a poll.

Edited by Koloss17

Honestly, this is great. F-Tim would be so useful in so many situations. Now, we just have to figure out how to burn it. . . 

12 hours ago, Frustration said:

I'll just take your tin.

Good luck finding it!

On 10/21/2020 at 0:20 PM, Nameless said:

Good luck finding it!

Just use F-tin. You really think the members of the F-tin cult doesn’t have people that use F-tin?

1 minute ago, Koloss17 said:

Just use F-tin. You really think the members of the F-tin cult doesn’t have people that use F-tin?

I don't think F-tin will remove the horrible feeling of digging into his flesh to find any pieces of tin left in him. That sounds like a job for F-copper

1 minute ago, Condensation said:

Cats and kings, what the heck is this?

Never heard that curse before.

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

I don't think F-tin will remove the horrible feeling of digging into his flesh to find any pieces of tin left in him. That sounds like a job for F-copper

Are you saying F-tin, the one that stores senses, will not remove the FEELING of something? Sense of touch is a thing :P

also real answer. Remove sight once stabby, remove the feels, then get the objects out!

2 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Cats and kings, what the heck is this?

The best cult. 

1 minute ago, Shard of Reading said:

Never heard that curse before.

What, cats and kings? I stole it from one of my favorite books, Beth Brower's "The Q".

Just now, Koloss17 said:

The best cult. 

Really?

Just now, Condensation said:

What, cats and kings? I stole it from one of my favorite books, Beth Brower's "The Q".

Really?

Yes cats and kings. It seemed random.

Just now, Condensation said:

Really?

Yes. It is great and you should join it. Read the pamphlet. If you can’t beat the challenge at the bottom, join.

1 minute ago, Shard of Reading said:

Yes cats and kings. It seemed random.

It's totally random, but I like it.

4 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

also real answer. Remove sight once stabby, remove the feels, then get the objects out!

Yeah, good luck finding all of my tin. I'll make sure to have some embedded in my skull. I'll get a pacemaker made of tin. I hope tin isn't poisonous to have in your bloodstream.

4 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Are you saying F-tin, the one that stores senses, will not remove the FEELING of something? Sense of touch is a thing :P

The best cult. 

You can't remove the sight of the open flesh or knowledge of what you're doing. (And you need to see so you can find the tin)