40 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Agreed, and it makes Autonomy more of an obstacle rather than an antagonist for the time being. How she'll react to space travel is going to be fun.

Dyson spheres, but for solar systems.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frustration said:

Dyson spheres, but for solar systems.

XD Her master plan is to make a bunch of balls to protect every system. XD That would look so ridiculous!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Dyson spheres, but for solar systems.

Dyson spheres are ineffective at actually blocking travel from a solar system.  Most models have them being "paper" thin.  She might try and kill everyone off and start again but I think it more likely she will try and make one mono culture that contains every group in the cosmere.

Edited by Karger
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Karger said:

Dyson spheres are ineffective at actually blocking travel from a solar system.  Most models have them being "paper" thin.

She could just make a force field and that would do it. And besides, I'm pretty sure nobody thinks she's going to make a bunch of Dyson spheres. XD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

She could just make a force field and that would do it. And besides, I'm pretty sure nobody thinks she's going to make a bunch of Dyson spheres. XD

True.  I really hope we get to a point in the cosmere where it is just one bratty shard putting up a wall and humans trying to cut through it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Karger said:

True.  I really hope we get to a point in the cosmere where it is just one bratty shard putting up a wall and humans trying to cut through it.

Hoid is trying t talk to her like, "Come on Autonomy, just let them have a little play date and put the the force field." And she's like "No. Germs. They all have Germs." WAIT! That's why she wants to be autonomous. SHe's a germaphobe! XD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Karger said:

Dyson spheres are ineffective at actually blocking travel from a solar system.  Most models have them being "paper" thin.  She might try and kill everyone off and start again but I think it more likely she will try and make one mono culture that contains every group in the cosmere.

Someone missed the joke.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 possible reasons that directly come to my mind.

1. not necessary. worldhoppers and cosmere aware often have other ways to be harmful to others

2. gunpowder and/or bullets not readily available

 

for Roshar, the society is build arround fabrials more than technology.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Stormlight goes - no one has figured it out yet. On Roshar they don't even like to use candles because the air is richer in oxygen than on Earth which makes fire harder to control. 

Why hasn't anyone told them about it? I dunno. Most worldhoppers like to keep their worldhopper status a secret.

There is no reason Mraize wouldn't have a gun though, given his monologue about how he likes to study the weapons of "the locals" and he's been to a bunch of planets and collected things. Unless he's really old and hasn't been to Scadrial in a long time, before they had guns. He might not carry it around because it would give him away as not belonging. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

As far as Stormlight goes - no one has figured it out yet. On Roshar they don't even like to use candles because the air is richer in oxygen than on Earth which makes fire harder to control. 

Why hasn't anyone told them about it? I dunno. Most worldhoppers like to keep their worldhopper status a secret.

There is no reason Mraize wouldn't have a gun though, given his monologue about how he likes to study the weapons of "the locals" and he's been to a bunch of planets and collected things. Unless he's really old and hasn't been to Scadrial in a long time, before they had guns. He might not carry it around because it would give him away as not belonging. 

he doesn't have to carry it, but I expect him to bring it out if he believes he is in danger. i can see them not wanting to have it hanging around for everyone to see, but you can conceal it pretty easily.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Karger said:

Sure.  Except we know some worldhoppers travel with guns.  Meaning that cosmere aware Rosharans as well as rosharns that travel to say scadrail should know what a gun is and come back with the ability to make one.  Nalthis is even worse in some respects.  Imagine Nalthis's customs agency not knowing what a gun was.

How old is good gun technology on Scadrial? About 50 years? Maybe just a function of insufficient time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About guns on Roshar, they dont have anything what we can call "Chemistry" or even "Alchemy". Of course, there are pharmacists, and they probably try to invent new medicines (what can be very fruitfull, example from our world - Ignacy Łukasiewicz, practicly father of all oil industry), but this is practicly only one sience what seems to not be focus of Rosharan scholars. I mean, weve seen and hear about Artifabrian, Architects, Linguists, Biologists, we know that there have to be also few metalurgists... We never hear about Chemists.

Also, main goal of Alchemy was Philosopher Stone - and on Roshar they basicly have it, mean, Soulcasters.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roshar doesn’t exactly need guns. They do have Shardplate and Shardblades, after all. In addition to that messing around with explosives in a high-oxygen atmosphere is probably pretty dangerous. Fabrial technology also has many more uses than propelling bits of metal around, so I can see why they are more interested in that than in guns and gunpowder. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Roshar doesn’t exactly need guns. They do have Shardplate and Shardblades, after all. In addition to that messing around with explosives in a high-oxygen atmosphere is probably pretty dangerous. Fabrial technology also has many more uses than propelling bits of metal around, so I can see why they are more interested in that than in guns and gunpowder. 

Not everyone has shard plate, and the majority of their armies would be vulnerable to gunfire.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Roshar doesn’t exactly need guns. They do have Shardplate and Shardblades, after all. In addition to that messing around with explosives in a high-oxygen atmosphere is probably pretty dangerous. Fabrial technology also has many more uses than propelling bits of metal around, so I can see why they are more interested in that than in guns and gunpowder. 

I hear this one a lot actually.  You can simply adjust the amount of gunpowder used for this.  Gunpowder is also not useful because it is particularly versatile or impressive it is just cheep and easy to produce.  Heck early firearms were worse then bows.  However point and shoot could be learned in six weeks while the logistics of teaching a good archer took several years.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.