11 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Dyson spheres, but for solar systems.

Dyson spheres are ineffective at actually blocking travel from a solar system.  Most models have them being "paper" thin.  She might try and kill everyone off and start again but I think it more likely she will try and make one mono culture that contains every group in the cosmere.

Edited by Karger

Just now, Karger said:

Dyson spheres are ineffective at actually blocking travel from a solar system.  Most models have them being "paper" thin.

She could just make a force field and that would do it. And besides, I'm pretty sure nobody thinks she's going to make a bunch of Dyson spheres. XD

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

She could just make a force field and that would do it. And besides, I'm pretty sure nobody thinks she's going to make a bunch of Dyson spheres. XD

True.  I really hope we get to a point in the cosmere where it is just one bratty shard putting up a wall and humans trying to cut through it.

Just now, Karger said:

True.  I really hope we get to a point in the cosmere where it is just one bratty shard putting up a wall and humans trying to cut through it.

Hoid is trying t talk to her like, "Come on Autonomy, just let them have a little play date and put the the force field." And she's like "No. Germs. They all have Germs." WAIT! That's why she wants to be autonomous. SHe's a germaphobe! XD

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Dyson spheres are ineffective at actually blocking travel from a solar system.  Most models have them being "paper" thin.  She might try and kill everyone off and start again but I think it more likely she will try and make one mono culture that contains every group in the cosmere.

Someone missed the joke.

2 possible reasons that directly come to my mind.

1. not necessary. worldhoppers and cosmere aware often have other ways to be harmful to others

2. gunpowder and/or bullets not readily available

for Roshar, the society is build arround fabrials more than technology.

As far as Stormlight goes - no one has figured it out yet. On Roshar they don't even like to use candles because the air is richer in oxygen than on Earth which makes fire harder to control. 

Why hasn't anyone told them about it? I dunno. Most worldhoppers like to keep their worldhopper status a secret.

There is no reason Mraize wouldn't have a gun though, given his monologue about how he likes to study the weapons of "the locals" and he's been to a bunch of planets and collected things. Unless he's really old and hasn't been to Scadrial in a long time, before they had guns. He might not carry it around because it would give him away as not belonging. 

15 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

As far as Stormlight goes - no one has figured it out yet. On Roshar they don't even like to use candles because the air is richer in oxygen than on Earth which makes fire harder to control. 

Why hasn't anyone told them about it? I dunno. Most worldhoppers like to keep their worldhopper status a secret.

There is no reason Mraize wouldn't have a gun though, given his monologue about how he likes to study the weapons of "the locals" and he's been to a bunch of planets and collected things. Unless he's really old and hasn't been to Scadrial in a long time, before they had guns. He might not carry it around because it would give him away as not belonging. 

he doesn't have to carry it, but I expect him to bring it out if he believes he is in danger. i can see them not wanting to have it hanging around for everyone to see, but you can conceal it pretty easily.

22 hours ago, Karger said:

Sure.  Except we know some worldhoppers travel with guns.  Meaning that cosmere aware Rosharans as well as rosharns that travel to say scadrail should know what a gun is and come back with the ability to make one.  Nalthis is even worse in some respects.  Imagine Nalthis's customs agency not knowing what a gun was.

How old is good gun technology on Scadrial? About 50 years? Maybe just a function of insufficient time.

About guns on Roshar, they dont have anything what we can call "Chemistry" or even "Alchemy". Of course, there are pharmacists, and they probably try to invent new medicines (what can be very fruitfull, example from our world - Ignacy Łukasiewicz, practicly father of all oil industry), but this is practicly only one sience what seems to not be focus of Rosharan scholars. I mean, weve seen and hear about Artifabrian, Architects, Linguists, Biologists, we know that there have to be also few metalurgists... We never hear about Chemists.

Also, main goal of Alchemy was Philosopher Stone - and on Roshar they basicly have it, mean, Soulcasters.

Roshar doesn’t exactly need guns. They do have Shardplate and Shardblades, after all. In addition to that messing around with explosives in a high-oxygen atmosphere is probably pretty dangerous. Fabrial technology also has many more uses than propelling bits of metal around, so I can see why they are more interested in that than in guns and gunpowder. 

3 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Roshar doesn’t exactly need guns. They do have Shardplate and Shardblades, after all. In addition to that messing around with explosives in a high-oxygen atmosphere is probably pretty dangerous. Fabrial technology also has many more uses than propelling bits of metal around, so I can see why they are more interested in that than in guns and gunpowder. 

Not everyone has shard plate, and the majority of their armies would be vulnerable to gunfire.

22 minutes ago, Innovation said:

I hear this one a lot actually.  You can simply adjust the amount of gunpowder used for this.  Gunpowder is also not useful because it is particularly versatile or impressive it is just cheep and easy to produce.  Heck early firearms were worse then bows.  However point and shoot could be learned in six weeks while the logistics of teaching a good archer took several years.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

What happens if you shoot a radiant in armour with an aluminium bullet? 

(If gun powder isnt an issue on Roshar).

What would happen if you used molten aluminium on enemies? Small and big batches... splash damage across the battle field.

if the bullet could normally penetrate, it would, and molten aliminium would work but I'm sue there are better things to use.

On 10/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, Koloss17 said:

Well nalthis is under some mastermind plan by endowment that might not involve guns. Roshar is a bit held up with all the

Reveal hidden contents

desolations. Besides, they are figuring out some fabrial tech.

Also, this is rather important, couldn't really find the coppermind quote but roshar has a very high oxygen concentration compared to earth which is (part of) the reason they use spheres, so combustion and gunpowder... Huge problem, a bit could be the equivalent of a bomb.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:29 PM, bridge7 said:

Also, this is rather important, couldn't really find the coppermind quote but roshar has a very high oxygen concentration compared to earth which is (part of) the reason they use spheres, so combustion and gunpowder... Huge problem, a bit could be the equivalent of a bomb.

My friend, I suggest reading all the posts, as this has indeed been brought up. In fact, an answer Is just three posts above you.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:11 PM, Karger said:

I hear this one a lot actually.  You can simply adjust the amount of gunpowder used for this.  Gunpowder is also not useful because it is particularly versatile or impressive it is just cheep and easy to produce.  Heck early firearms were worse then bows.  However point and shoot could be learned in six weeks while the logistics of teaching a good archer took several years.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

On 10/18/2020 at 2:21 PM, Nameless said:

I'm not sure how it would affect guns, but Roshar's atmosphere has a higher oxygen content than earth's. If that affects gunpowder, then that would explain why they don't have guns or gunpowder.

Oxygen is a catalyst. If anything, it would simply make the chemical reaction more energetic. 

But even then, most of the chemical reaction happens inside the casing behind the projectile.  And it creates its own oxygen, that is why a bullet can fire in a vacuum. 

I say that the oxygen content on Roshar would not have a large effect on firearm development or use.

1 hour ago, IllNsickly said:

But even then, most of the chemical reaction happens inside the casing behind the projectile.  And it creates its own oxygen, that is why a bullet can fire in a vacuum. 

Well, early firearms didn't use a casing, but I do agree that they can still figure it out on Roshar.

My take on it: 

Worldhoppers are usually trying to blend in and/or amass power secretly (either as individuals or in groups). Spreading the knowledge of firearms and gunpowder stands in direct opposition of those goals, as it announces you as a foreigner and potentially gives your enemies the chance to replicate a weapon.

As a meta-reason? That's no fun, and erring on the side of awesome is far more fun. Technology in Sanderson's works function for the story and the setting. If guns don't help those two things, then they won't be developed. Just because something can be developed and reach a logical conclusion doesn't mean it should

But honestly I don't really care enough to think about it more than this post. 

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

My take on it: 

Worldhoppers are usually trying to blend in and/or amass power secretly (either as individuals or in groups). Spreading the knowledge of firearms and gunpowder stands in direct opposition of those goals, as it announces you as a foreigner and potentially gives your enemies the chance to replicate a weapon.

As a meta-reason? That's no fun, and erring on the side of awesome is far more fun. Technology in Sanderson's works function for the story and the setting. If guns don't help those two things, then they won't be developed. Just because something can be developed and reach a logical conclusion doesn't mean it should

Yeah, like chekhov's gun.

Also, early guns were called flintlocks because when you pulled the trigger, it would strike flint and steel which would send lots of sparks

7 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

My take on it: 

Guns aren't fun. They only helped popularize several movie genres. 

But in all seriousness, it is still nice to have a reason has to why this very useful tool isn't being used by people who may have access to it during the end of the/a world. And by this, I mean specifically worldhoppers, as I understand a civilization not inventing them during the time period we see.