ADHD

Ixthos

I have ADHD (or ADD, cuz it keeps changing which label is used and whether they're different or not). I take medication for it, which I need not just so I can focus, but for basic social interaction as well. I can tell a definite difference between when I take my medication and when I don't, so huzzah for doctors and pharmacists!

5 hours ago, FriarFritz said:

I have ADHD (or ADD, cuz it keeps changing which label is used and whether they're different or not). I take medication for it, which I need not just so I can focus, but for basic social interaction as well. I can tell a definite difference between when I take my medication and when I don't, so huzzah for doctors and pharmacists!

Indeed! It's been a while since I've taken meds, I've been trying to do without them, but it's hard. I don't like to feel that the only reason I can function is because of medication.

Do you watch any of the videos on YouTube "How to ADHD"?

• 2 months later...

ADD/ADHD isn’t really a disorder, in my opinion, as someone diagnosed with ADD. It’s a curse in some settings and a HUUUUUGE blessing in others. I have a hard time concentrating in quiet subdued settings and adderall worked great for the higher level studying I did in university and grad schools. Straterra was absolutely useless. 

I also started using the ‘speak’ function when reading online text. I found listening to it and reading it together keeps my attention a bit better. Audiobooks work well for me too since I can fidget and keep my brain engaged ...and rewind. 

Flip side: Your mind running a 1000mph can help you see conversational gambits others miss. I run through several iterations of arguments in my head while speaking and pick the best one. I suspect a normie would be more inclined to be one-tracked. It makes ADD folks great at sales and business development. 

im a huge proponent of meds for high level academics, but would advise you stop them in regular daily life. 

That’s my 2 broams. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:03 AM, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

ADHDer here, was diagnosed at 18, I'm 21 now. I take stimulant meds for it. Having a clock in the bathroom and bedroom helps me with ADHD time blindness :D 

That might help me a lot - thanks :-)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/5/2021 at 8:04 PM, Knight of Iron said:

How would one know if they had ADHD/ADD? Some things I've heard seem to describe me and some absolutely don't.

I was diagnosed as an adult recently (earlier this year).  For me it started reading stuff and being like "Hmm I relate to that" (definitely had stuff I didn't relate to).  Then, I was talking to a counsellor about it, and he (having ADHD himself) suggested I talk to my doctor, so I got assessed by filling out some questionnaires.  After the assessment questionnaires indicated ADHD was likely (and ruled out some stuff that can seem like ADHD, including certain types of anxiety and depression) my doctor said usually the medication either works well or it definitely doesn't, so we did a one month trial and it made a huge difference for me.

After, on the advice of my doctor, I looked back at some of my old report cards and stuff - very interesting reading some of the teacher's comments in a new light.  

There's definitely a combination of common experiences that a lot of people have, and some things that are different, so it can be tough to tell just reading stuff online.  

2 minutes ago, Comatose said:

I was diagnosed as an adult recently (earlier this year).  For me it started reading stuff and being like "Hmm I relate to that" (definitely had stuff I didn't relate to.  Then, I was talking to a counsellor about it, and he (having ADHD himself) suggested I talk to my doctor, so I got assessed by filling out some questionnaires.  After the assessment questionnaires indicated ADHD was likely (and ruled out some stuff that can seem like ADHD, including certain types of anxiety and depression) my doctor said usually the medication either works well or it definitely doesn't, so we did a one month trial and it made a huge difference for me.

After, on the advice of my doctor, I looked back at some of my old report cards and stuff - very interesting reading some of the teacher's comments in a new light.  

There's definitely a combination of common experiences that a lot of people have, and some things that are different, so it can be tough to tell just reading stuff online.  

Funny you should reply today—I’ve just scheduled an appointment with my doctor about it a few minutes ago. I’ve found that I relate a lot to about 90% of shared ADHD experiences, and have just found myself incredibly relieved at the possibility that I’m not just incompetent or stupid or lazy or incapable of accomplishing the things I try to. Let’s just say that as I’ve turned adult and gotten a job, I’ve worked my butt off but still ended up in a lot of trouble due to things, to the point of near termination.

Like you said about looking back in a new light, I was homeschooled and never had set deadlines for anything, ever, and would procrastinate all my schoolwork until the only true deadline... cram the entire year in before the next year of school begins.

So, anyway, I’m hoping to figure it out. Maybe things could even get better for me. Thanks for your comments

27 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Funny you should reply today—I’ve just scheduled an appointment with my doctor about it a few minutes ago. I’ve found that I relate a lot to about 90% of shared ADHD experiences, and have just found myself incredibly relieved at the possibility that I’m not just incompetent or stupid or lazy or incapable of accomplishing the things I try to. Let’s just say that as I’ve turned adult and gotten a job, I’ve worked my butt off but still ended up in a lot of trouble due to things, to the point of near termination.

Like you said about looking back in a new light, I was homeschooled and never had set deadlines for anything, ever, and would procrastinate all my schoolwork until the only true deadline... cram the entire year in before the next year of school begins.

So, anyway, I’m hoping to figure it out. Maybe things could even get better for me. Thanks for your comments

Sounds like I had a very similar experience :).  I was book smart and used urgency to motivate myself in school so I got away with it for a long time, but getting into a field where everything is urgent I got pretty down on myself for spending a bunch of extra hours at work not doing anything.  Having an explanation and solution was really liberating.  I hope stuff works out for you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to remember my story if most of the changes happened a while ago, but I'll try to remember (doesn't help that I'm still waking up).

Was first diagnosed when I was 6 (17 now). I took medications for a bit, Tenex was the one that worked for me, until I started experimenting without it at around 13 years old.

Attention - I usually play some sort of music or YouTube video to be background noise while I do work, etc. so my mind is occupied and doesn't wander while doing it. 

Hyperactivity - I've managed to mature out of most of the more intense hyper states, but I do still experience intense emotions (good and bad included) regularly.

Edited by Atusiff

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, Comatose said:

Sounds like I had a very similar experience :).  I was book smart and used urgency to motivate myself in school so I got away with it for a long time, but getting into a field where everything is urgent I got pretty down on myself for spending a bunch of extra hours at work not doing anything.  Having an explanation and solution was really liberating.  I hope stuff works out for you. 

I got diagnosed with inattentive type ADHD today!

Now I gotta sort out figuring out getting medication.