What will each planet bring to the table?

Benkinsky

With the RoW chapters hinting at the capabilities of Logicspren Fabrials, and the knowledge that Hoid wants Instant Noodles to be a thing, I wanted to ask your opinions about the following:

By the time of larger crossovers, whether that will happen in the Space Age or earlier, what do you think will be the planets main strengths and weaknesses? Not purely magical, but also technological. Scientific. What do you think might different planets have developed earlier than others, and why? What would say Sel bring to the table that Roshar doesn't have?

A few thoughts from me, correct me on whatever I'm wrong with.

What are the most technologically advanced societies we know of so far?

- Scadrial, especially Southern Scadrial. They've already got flying vehicles, and Feruchemical devices can open up a lot of possibilities, and guns are a thing too. However, one of the real gamebreakers that Scadrian society has, is Canned Food. A huge gamechanger for feeding people. It probably won't be long until they have refrigeration, whether by conventional means or using feruchemical heat saving.

- Taldain, or rather, Darkside. They also have guns, and as far as I know White Sand is one of the earliest stories, so by the time of Era 3 and 4 who knows what they have developed? Seeing how Magic is not a thing on Darkside during White Sand, I think they might get the closest to technological development how we know it on Earth. And even if we take Sand Mastery into account, I can't imagine nearly as many applications for it as with Feruchemy or Fabrials.

- The Ones Above. Who are they? Nalthis, Scadrial, Taldain? They're definitely advanced. Was that a Fabrial they were using?

And what about the others?

- What might Nalthis come up with? Nightblood is 99% going to be a major component of the crossover stories, so there might be more coming from where he is from. Shardblade 3.0 might be the first of more... somethings. If you can create a sentient sword that is that destructive, lets pick up Dalinars thought of "why are there no Shardhammers? or tools? why just swords?" Or will Endowments Endgame focus more on certain Returned giving up their Divine Breath in key moments to do specific things? Also possible. Or maybe the existance of Breath will push Nalthian society somewhere totally else that I'm not thinking of.

- Roshar. Fabrials. Computers? Flying ships? Long range communication. Easiest access to Shadesmar we've seen so far. Soulcasters (see what I said about Canned Food.).

- Sel. Cosmere aware people will probably be interested in developing spacetravel, much more so than people from Roshar with their easy access to the cognitive realm. We already saw the Ire, but afaik we have very little knowledge of any exceptional scientific progress there.

- Threnody. The Ire considered it a possibility that "the forces of Threnody" would join the game. Were they thinking of the people there, the shades... or the Evil? Nazh used a Shadegun... weaponised shades maybe? Or maybe my wild theory that Kelsier will try (and succeed?) to reforge Ambition, and that's Threnodies largest contribution to the Cosmere Endgame?

- First (and second and third and fourth) of the Sun, Ashyn, Braize?

I'm very exited to hear thoughts from others on what you think all of these planets might come up with by the time crossovers happen more and more, and where you think scientific development might go on planets that arent Scadrial or Roshar.

I feel like the future cosmere spaceships, at least the best one will use specialized tech from various places. 

I feel the best engines capable of ftl will come from Scadrail using an unknown trick with allmoancy most like tied to cadmium and or bendalloy.

Sel will probably produce the best computers. Alot of thier magic is like writing code. Imagine a computer made with aon dor, or even some type of soul stamp that could "awaken" an AI.

Roshar seems the best to build the ships. With a bond Smith around to power a group of soul casters and they could create either full ships or large section to be assembled later. Windrunners would make the ultimate astronaughts, using adhesion (atmospheric pressure) to create their own breathable atmosphere around themselves and using lashing to move around.

But these are just some ideas, theres so many options to do so many things. Fabrials, if they learn how to move spren off world could take care of alot of things such as heat, food , possibly an AI if the create a proper housing for the sibling. Medallions could do alot of the same things as fabrials. What will other planets version of fabrials look like? From elantris it seemed like they made plates anyone could touch to activate some aon, such as light control. Alot of this will also depend on power sources to fuel these. Medallions would need metalborn for recharging but with compounding I could see bring way more then you need for your trips and having them exchanged or recharged at a refueling port.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
31 minutes ago, StormFather! said:

Elantris also has its own version of soul casting pretty much anything 

Yes but not only does it take A LOT of training it has to be plausible and you can't use it to make food or change food because the moment the soul stamp is destroyed it goes back to what it originally was so yes but no

The Elantrians can use AonDor to turn garbage into food or whatever. This doesn’t take nearly as much training as Forging or the Rosharan version of Soulcasting. They just learn to write what they want in Aons  and it happens. This is also more efficient than Roshar Soulcasting because you are only limited by knowledge of Aons rather than the amount of Stormlight you can intake and how many years of practice you have.

Edited by StormFather!

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.10.2020 at 3:27 PM, Benkinsky said:

- The Ones Above. Who are they? Nalthis, Scadrial, Taldain? They're definitely advanced. Was that a Fabrial they were using?

There really is no reason to associate them with a specific ethnic group rather than a commercial or political group. For now the only organizations we know to know about First of The Sun are Silverlight and the Ghostbloods.