Nameless

My brain is only slightly melted.

10 posts in this topic

Well, I finished the Wheel of Time series. I started on July 21st of this year, and finished it on the 15th of October about thirty minutes ago. My favorite character ended up being Mat, after I valiantly strove to like all characters equally for ten books. I feel like the last battle would have gone a lot smoother if he had been in charge from the start. Perrin is awesome, The Aes Sedai are the most annoying people in the world, and now I want to see Lan versus Kaladin on a battlefield. I would love to see a story about the world after The Wheel of Time, although I suppose I'll just have to imagine it. In basically every book after Moraine "died" Rand got progressively worse and worse, until I was getting close to hating him. At the start of the thirteenth book, that all turned around, and I like Rand's character quite a bit.

On an unrelated side note, doesn't Rand simply sealing the Dark One back in his prison mean that all of this will play out again, just as it likely has many times before? Better put up a cuendillar sign on the prison.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but with different details. Rand's soul will be there to fight, as will Ishy. But in that fight, he will need to do different things.

Some have disliked the ending, but, if Rand had killed the Dark One, then Mat takes over his role. Because Padan Fain in the books is not filling Gollum's role; he is Saruman's, and he was heading to Shayol Ghul to fulfill that role. That would make Mat Fain's Nemesis, since he was immune to his corruption. That threat is why Mat had to be at that fight at that moment. Perrin's role is clear, too for equally nasty reasons.

What did you think of Logain? I am interested to hear your views on him.

Edited by Cosfan4472
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wheel really does a number on you after you finish it. I had a few days of this empty but content feeling. Saddness and awe. Grief and relief. Proud and lost.

Dat final book was such a barn burner. Never read a book that almost gave off steam while reading it. It stills calls to me on lonely nights..."do you feel like sweating out your palms?" It says

"Kinda" i reply. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, Nameless said:

Well, I finished the Wheel of Time series. I started on July 21st of this year, and finished it on the 15th of October about thirty minutes ago. My favorite character ended up being Mat, after I valiantly strove to like all characters equally for ten books. I feel like the last battle would have gone a lot smoother if he had been in charge from the start. Perrin is awesome, The Aes Sedai are the most annoying people in the world, and now I want to see Lan versus Kaladin on a battlefield. I would love to see a story about the world after The Wheel of Time, although I suppose I'll just have to imagine it. In basically every book after Moraine "died" Rand got progressively worse and worse, until I was getting close to hating him. At the start of the thirteenth book, that all turned around, and I like Rand's character quite a bit.

On an unrelated side note, doesn't Rand simply sealing the Dark One back in his prison mean that all of this will play out again, just as it likely has many times before? Better put up a cuendillar sign on the prison.

Glad you liked it.  And yes, it will all happen again,  in much the same way. Think of it as two similar tapestries that look almost identical from a distance, but look different the closer you get. The devil, they say, is in the details.  The books portray a "typical" third age. There is nothing special or extraordinary about it.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after waiting a few days, I have come to the conclusion that my brain was more melted than I thought.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:05 AM, Cosfan4472 said:

Some have disliked the ending, but, if Rand had killed the Dark One, then Mat takes over his role. Because Padan Fain in the books is not filling Gollum's role; he is Saruman's, and he was heading to Shayol Ghul to fulfill that role. That would make Mat Fain's Nemesis, since he was immune to his corruption. That threat is why Mat had to be at that fight at that moment. Perrin's role is clear, too for equally nasty reasons.

Whose role would Mat take over? Rand's or the Dark One's? Also, what do you mean? Why would Rand killing the Dark One do that?

On 10/16/2020 at 1:44 PM, Eggdogg said:

The wheel really does a number on you after you finish it. I had a few days of this empty but content feeling. Saddness and awe. Grief and relief. Proud and lost.

Dat final book was such a barn burner. Never read a book that almost gave off steam while reading it. It stills calls to me on lonely nights..."do you feel like sweating out your palms?" It says

"Kinda" i reply. 

Yeah, it was pretty intense.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:45 AM, Chanarach said:

Glad you liked it.  And yes, it will all happen again,  in much the same way. Think of it as two similar tapestries that look almost identical from a distance, but look different the closer you get. The devil, they say, is in the details.  The books portray a "typical" third age. There is nothing special or extraordinary about it.  

Yeah, that's cool. I guess that the next Rand reborn in the next third age won't have Rand's memories, right?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Nameless said:

Well, after waiting a few days, I have come to the conclusion that my brain was more melted than I thought.

Whose role would Mat take over? Rand's or the Dark One's? Also, what do you mean? Why would Rand killing the Dark One do that?

Yeah, it was pretty intense.

Yeah, that's cool. I guess that the next Rand reborn in the next third age won't have Rand's memories, right?

Yeah, that's right. It should only be that turnings Dragon. It won't be "LTT" but the same archetype.  Rand's memories might surface in the next "Last Battle." The Dark One exists outside of time and the fight against him, it seems that, in that place, every Dragon incarnation exists at once, since time doesn't exist.  It's pretty trippy.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, when I finished the wheel of time I felt pretty much the same. I was honestly amazed by how all that fighting did not seem to make the book burn out. I thought that 800 pages of battle would get tedious but it really didn't I was kept engaged the whole time and it greatly inflated my opinion of brandon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2020 at 3:58 PM, Nameless said:

 

Whose role would Mat take over? Rand's or the Dark One's? Also, what do you mean? Why would Rand killing the Dark One do that?

 

 

Mat would take over Rand's role, since Fain intended to kill Rand, thus taking over the Dark One's role in reality.

But, because Rand made the choice not to kill the Dark One, Fain died.

That is what I meant.

I suspect that the Heroes are not aware that one of Mat's possible roles in the story is Rand's replacement if Rand killed the Dark One. His conversation with Hend the Hero is an indication of this potential.

If Rand DID kill the Dark One, then the Pattern and the Wheel would have no further use of the Dragon soul, since it fights the Dark One. The Wheel and the Pattern needs balance, or reality goes the way of The Never Ending Story's first film.

Mat balances Fain, so he would be needed and vitally important to existence in this scenario.

We have seen many times that the Pattern keeps people around only while they are important to what it needs them to do, then kills them once their part is done, and some times permanently. Look at Rahvin vs Pedron Niall as two examples of what I mean.

The Pattern would use Fain to consume Rand's soul, since it would need Fain to fill the Dark One's position permanently. It also explains why the Dark One wanted Fain dead so badly, and badly enough to expose Slayer to Perrin; he knew Fain was exactly that purpose.

Edited by Cosfan4472
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently rereading WOT, trust me it gets better the 2nd and even 5th time through! Robert Jordan forehadows soooooo much its crazy.. I have to say i enjoyed the ending, i feel like it was wrapped up very well and totally left an opening for more!  if and when you end up rereading make sure to look out for tom and moraines first meeting.. also the prolouge to book one has alot of info you simply miss out on your first time throu since you dont know the vocab of book

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently on a wheel of time reread. Just finishes the dragon reborn.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.