Mid-Range Game 45: A Trapper's Tale

Experience

• Experience changed the title to MR45: A Trapper's Tale

Welcome to MR45! 

You are a group of adventurers on Patji who have traitors in your midst. The Traitorous Trappers need to equal the number of Trappers to win. The Trappers need to eliminate all of the Traitorous Trappers to win.

Here are all rules for anyone who needs to read through them again/for the first time.

Spoiler

Aviar(Roles):

Healer: Your Aviar gifts you with the knowledge to heal all but the most deadly of wounds. (Each turn you can protect one player from death. You cannot protect the same player two nights in a row. Your protection can protect someone from traps or the Traitorous Trappers’ kill, not both. Your protection cannot protect someone from a Nightmaw attack or the lynch).[Activates Traps] 

Spy: Your Aviar gifts you with stealthiness, letting you spy on the other Trappers. (Each turn, you can learn one player's alignment. Has a 15% chance of giving incorrect alignment). [Activates Traps]

Aviar Spy: Your Aviar gives you the power to know other Aviar’s gifts. (Each turn you can choose one player and you learn their Aviar's power). [Activates Traps]

Good-looking: Your Aviar looks amazing and gives you the gift to look good as well. (If you are spied on, then you will appear as a Trapper. Has a 15% chance of failure. If your Aviar is spied on, then it will appear as a Hidden Aviar).

Hidden: Your Aviar hides your mind from predators. (If the Nightmaw attacks you, you won’t die)

Messenger: Your Aviar gifts you the ability to speak in somebody's mind for a short period of time. (Each turn, you can request a PM with one other player. At the start of the next turn, the GM will set up a PM with you and that other player. The PM will be closed at the end of the turn). 

Aviar Trapper: You know that without their Aviar, the traitors will be greatly weakened. Your Aviar gives you the ability to trap someone else's Aviar(Each turn, you can choose any player. If they have an Aviar, they won’t be able to use their power. Only one Aviar can be captured at a time, so if you capture a new Aviar then the previous one is released. It only takes an action to capture the Aviar, not keep it during the following cycles. This doesn’t block the Traitorous Trappers’ kill. If you are killed, any Aviar that you have captured is freed). [Activates Traps]

Experience:

Master: 5-8%

Expert: 9-12%

Novice: 13-16%

Apprentice: 17-20%

Events:

• Nightmaw attacks: (Once per game, the Traitorous Trappers can unleash a Nightmaw instead of their night kill. The Nightmaw attack cannot be protected by the healer. The Trapper that unleashes the Nightmaw has a 15% chance of being attacked by the Nightmaw as well as the target). NOTE: The Traitorous Trappers cannot win the game until they have unleashed the Nightmaw. 

• Traps: In order to use some of the Aviar’s gifts, you need to travel at night. This is extremely dangerous, and you are much more likely to stumble into a trap. You are told which Aviar activate traps. When a trap is activated, you have the chance of dying equal to your Experience. 

• Example: If your Experience is 13% and you use an Aviar’s power that activates a trap, then you would have a 13% chance of dying.

• The Traitorous Trappers’ kill does not activate traps. Healers can protect you from traps. Each time that you encounter a trap and survive, you become more experienced and your Experience percent decreases by 1(to a minimum of 3). 

Order of actions:

Traitorous Trapper kill/Nightmaw attack & Aviar Trapper

Healer

Lynch

Aviar Spy & Spy

Messenger

Other Things:

• Day and Night turns are combined into one 48 hour turn. 

• A tie lynch vote is randomly chosen

• No lynch vote minimum

• NO PM's ALLOWED, except with the messenger.

• The Traitorous Trappers’ kill takes an action.

• Every player can only use one action per turn.

• At the beginning of the game, you are told what your Experience range is, but not the exact percent.

• Example: You are told you are a Novice, which is 13-16%, but not which percent it is.

Here is a link to the rules.

This Turn will end in just under 48 hours on Saturday, October 3rd, at 9:00 PM PST

Remember: No PM's allowed.

Player List:

Spoiler

1) Lord Silberfarben: @Lord_Silberfarben

2) First of the Bone: @Ashbringer

3) @Elkanah

4) 2nd of the Twilight: @Kings_way

5) Pi of the Book: @Shard of Reading

6) Fourth of the Dark: @Gears

7) Philico: @Matrim's Dice

8) Second of the Dawn: @Ghanderflaffle

9) Third of the Midnight: @Vapor

10) Ninth of the Sky: @JesterLavorre

11) 295864685th of the midnight: @The Windrunner Supreme

12) First of the Clouds: @turtle

13) First of the Light: @Straw

14) Mint: @Frozen Mint

15) First of the Person: @CadCom

16) Twisp Winthrop: @Illwei

Edited by Experience

This is the first time I have seen such a large gathering of Trappers in one place. We are solitary creatures by nature, but circumstance has forced us to come together. Many of the Trappers have Aviar that I have never seen before, though I have heard of most of them. The following are my notes concerning the birds.

Healer: As the name implies, it is a healing bird. Sadly, its powers have a limit. Those killed by mob justice or the dreaded nightmaw will remain dead, regardless of whether or not he possess a Healer. It can protect you from the traps that every Trapper lays, but why would a person need to be protected from the penance owed for being so clumsy as to be caught? Perhaps a Traitorous Trapper could take advantage of this to ensure that their Aviar remains unbothered during the stalking hours. It can protect from the Traitorous Trapper's knife, so all can take advantage. It can't protect the same person twice, for some reason. I wonder why, but I feel it might be some strange whim of Patji, to encourage interaction between Trappers. Father does love bloodshed, after all.

Spy: This bird is a relatively new discovery, possessing powers of camouflage and stealth. The Traitorous Trappers cannot possibly possess any of these birds since as far as I recall, only one person, its discoverer, has it. Perhaps he has shared it with another, but I doubt it. It is incredibly powerful, capable of discovering people's thoughts. However, it is still only a bird, and it misunderstands many things. He who owns this bird, be cautious. The Traitors are aiming for your head in particular. 

Aviar Spy: Despite its similar name to the Spy, it is quite different. While the Spy is stealthy, capable of overhearing many things and repeating it back, the Aviar Spy can detect what worm sits in an Aviar's belly by mere proximity. Of course, no Trapper would let a strange Aviar near his birds, so it must be stealthy or risk being fended off. Understandable, I wouldn't want another Trapper knowing the ability of my Aviar either. 

Good-Looking: Whoever named this bird has a sense of humor. This is one of the plainer bird species, greatly resembling a Hidden Aviar in both plumage and mannerisms. From a certain point of view, it could almost be called ugly. This Aviar shields a Trapper's thoughts, making him appear innocent and not murderous to a Spy. In addition, the shielding makes it appear as Hidden to an Aviar Spy. No normal Trapper would waste his time getting this Aviar, so any who have it must be a Traitor. 

Hidden: This bird shields the mind from prying ears, keeping it safe from those that stalk in the night. Its plumage perfectly blends in with the foliage, and the shielding is quite effective. I have encountered a few of these birds. My cousin owned one before he died and my uncle took care of it. They are unquestionably useful, but only in that one case. In addition, any Hidden might in fact be a disguise for a Good-Looking, so be wary. Don't actively target them, but recognise the danger in trusting one with this bird.

Messenger: This bird allows for private communications via a neural link between two minds. Communications only last a single day, but renewal is a valid option. However, continually speaking to many people seems impossible, since the bird can only connect two minds at once. I personally don't see the merit in this bird, but some people prefer secret communications. 

Aviar Trapper: This bird is personally offensive to me, having fallen victim to it in the past. It mimics the mating plumage of its target and draws it away for as long as it wants. Fortunately, it can only trap one bird at a time, and if the Trapper is killed, the bird it trapped is released. It is certainly useful, but I do not think it will ever be something I willingly embrace. Another of my cousins used this bird to play a cruel trick on me when we were young, and I have never forgiven him for it.

Nightmaw: For some strange reason, the Traitors revere these dreaded beasts, and long to release one upon this camp. While they do not, there is still hope. I believe their tamed nightmaw is significantly less dangerous than the wild ones, eating perhaps one or two bodies before being sated. It follows orders and understands targets, though it might eat its commander along the way. I hope I never have to see one of these things again, even if it is tamed. Of course, Patji will probably send one my way now, to test me and my skill. 

Traps: Many Aviar require their Trapper to visit another, risking being caught in their traps. The more experienced among us can avoid them with ease, but the young will struggle. Sadly, the Traitors are too skilled to be caught in traps while they slaughter people. Truly a shame.

The knife I keep tucked up my sleeve will come in handy these long, cold nights with killers on the prowl. Perhaps it will take a life one of these days. Perhaps my hands will remain clean, and Patji will take the life in my stead. My Aviar chirps softly, though I do not understand the language. Perhaps it is warning me of my future, of the death that lies before me, inevitable as Patji's hate. I have already written my farewell, and my list of dates grows ever longer, and yet I still wish to live. Dangerous, on an island that hates us as much as we love it, but I want to live, and so Patji must die. I do not ask for forgiveness, nor do I want it. I feel no guilt, no shame. This is the course I have chosen, and though it has turned me against my fellow Trappers, I stand resolute. As the water erodes away at Patji's form, so too must I erode away at Patji's children. This is how I will kill Patji. This is how I will be free.

Wee!!! Let's kill some traitors!

So, disclaimer. I haven't played a game all summer and I am probably rusty. That being said, as I remember the number of elims is typically 25% which means we need to kill 4 traitors, but I'm going to say 5 to play it safe. (If I got the amount of typical elims wrong I'm sorry)

Also @Gears that last paragraph was sort of dark.

23 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

Wee!!! Let's kill some traitors!

So, disclaimer. I haven't played a game all summer and I am probably rusty. That being said, as I remember the number of elims is typically 25% which means we need to kill 4 traitors, but I'm going to say 5 to play it safe. (If I got the amount of typical elims wrong I'm sorry)

Also @Gears that last paragraph was sort of dark.

I'm guessing four here since five would be over 30%.

So far, we have fairly NAI posts. Gears' post just seems to be RP rather than rule analysis.

Looking at the death chances, I think that people with Aviars other than the Spy probably should pass on using their abilities. Healer might be useful, but depends on the number of players and the experience level of the user. Aviar Spy and Aviar Trapper don't seem useful enough to justify the risk of death. If the spy announces results, I think we should probably kill anyone who shows up as elim, even with the risk of a false positive. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I think its a good plan. This is my first game so I'm not quite sure how to do this but I think the risk of a false positive is a good one to take if there are only four or five traitors and lots of regular trappers. The only problem is if we Lynch the healer, which would be bad.

35 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

That being said, as I remember the number of elims is typically 25% which means we need to kill 4 traitors, but I'm going to say 5 to play it safe

There are sixteen of us. The wise ones say that 20-25% of our number are Traitors. There are 16 of us, so 3-4. If they have a Good-Looking, which is likely though not set in stone, I would assume there are 3. If not, there are probably 4. Five would be excessive, unless an unordinary amount of us have Spies.

10 minutes ago, Straw said:

If the spy announces results, I think we should probably kill anyone who shows up as elim, even with the risk of a false positive. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Concerning the Spy: There is a 15% chance of the test being wrong. This means that about 1 in 7 trials will be wrong. This seems acceptable, though be wary of liars and killing a trapper with a valuable Aviar. The prospective victim should have a chance to plead their case, and the Aviar Spy can check if they have a valuable Aviar. If the victim flips village, the Spy should be scanned by an Aviar Spy to make sure they are not lying. The Spy and Aviar Spy in conjunction seems the best, though co-ordination without PMs seems difficult, as it involves regaling the public with one's plans or trusting a go-between. 

If the test is repeated, there is a 72.25% of the result being the same and right, a 2.25% of the result being the same and wrong, and a 25.5% of the result being different. If the test is administered thrice. there is a 61.4125% of the result being the same and right, a .3375% of the result being the same and wrong, a 32.5125% of the result being 2 right and 1 wrong, and a 5.7375% chance of the result being 2 wrong and 1 right. Obviously, repeating the test indefinitely is not advisable, but a second examination would be prudent.

[I'm going to be playing through RP entirely, with a framework of my posts being journal entries.]

6 minutes ago, Gears said:

There are sixteen of us. The wise ones say that 20-25% of our number are Traitors. There are 16 of us, so 3-4. If they have a Good-Looking, which is likely though not set in stone, I would assume there are 3. If not, there are probably 4. Five would be excessive, unless an unordinary amount of us have Spies.

I figure it was better to overestimate than underestimate. So, we have to kill 4 elims at most.

@Straw I think that taking a false positive might not always be the best choice. Right now, it might be a good idea, but later when there are less people I'm not so sure I would want to do that.

6 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Something tells me this is a late rollover for everyone...

Indeed. I did not see the thread until this morning, though I did get my PM like right before I went to bed. 

Also I'm pretty sure Gears claimed elim again, with the last paragraph of his first post, but... that doesn't really mean anything :P.

I would also guess 4 elims, but I don't think that a Good-Looking would make that be 3. For now I agree that we should kill any that appear as elims, but Reading makes a good point that if it really comes down to it at the end it might not be so good.

Let's get this started... @CadCom, you're a returning player, correct? Welcome back! Also, get poked! CadCom :P 

Philico is gonna be good in this game's setting because it basically happens last chronologically... so he's already gone through all the Scadrial games, all the Elantris games, some Roshar ones... he knows what's up. He's got to be the most experienced Sleepless ever...

Philico prowled the jungle, wary of the nightmaws that were said to roam the island. He figured if he were to come across one he'd fare just fine, but he'd learned that he'd rather not take chances. One of two major lessons. Today he needed to avoid trouble.

Today, he hunted Aviar.

Philico prided himself in having one of the most complete collections of cosmere knowledge ever derived outside of that awful university of Silverlight. He had spent years culminating his knowledge, far more time than any of these trappers- and traitors- could possibly comprehend.

Except for that one who called himself First of the Bone. Philico had recognized the kandra- or whatever he was- instantly. Somehow they kept appearing in the same spots time after time. What was it? Who was following who? Did it matter? Philico wasn't sure.

He might be hunting them, but Philico didn't need Aviar. He was something far different, something far more. His hordelings, his... self... was constantly watching. Watching the others, watching the jungle... but the second lesson he had come to learn trumped the first. Never interfere with the way things are set to go. Let it play out as if you were truly from that setting. Today, he was Philico, Sleepless, but he could also be First of the Dawn.

For to these trappers, he was as old as the dawn of time.

[Ash, we need to decide if Faleast/AraRaash is older than Philico :P]