Mid-Range Game 45: A Trapper's Tale

Experience

Twelfth of the Moon quickly ducked down next to his hidden boat, hearing voices. He peeked over the rim of the boat and saw two trappers talking. Together! Moon couldn't quite make out what they were saying. They just needed to get a little closer. One of the trappers suddenly quieted the other and quickly looked around. Moon ducked down, and hoped that he had concealed his boat well enough. He heard the crashing of plants, and when he looked up the two were gone.

Why were they even together? Moon thought as he walked over to the spot where the others had gone into the forest. Trappers can't stand each other. Moon decided to follow the two and make sure they weren't getting up to any trouble. 

After a short trip into the forest, Moon heard voices again. 

"Are you sure this is what you want?"

"They promised money. Lots of it. Yes, I am sure. Those merchants were going to get the island eventually. Might as well get something out of it in the process."

Moon started to back away. Merchants? On the island? He had to warn the others. Moon tripped on a branch. And the adventures turned around, making eye contact with him. One of them cursed, and Moon started to run. 

————————————————————

Hours later, Moon sat down, back to a tree. He took out his notebook and wrote down the things he had learned. He was sure that he had lost the two trappers. Moon looked up and saw a shadow in the forest, only a few paces away. Only then did he realize what tree he had sat down next to. 

————————————————————

Last of the Eve’ looked around to make sure nobody was nearby and knelt next to the Trapper who had been caught by Patji’s Flower. He looked young enough to still be an apprentice. Eve’ took out the trapper's notebook and flipped to the last page to see what he had written and his eyes widened. Eve’ quickly took off running to gather the other trappers on Patji. They were all in grave danger, and it might already be too late…

————————————————————

Welcome to MR45! 

You are a group of adventurers on Patji who have traitors in your midst. The Traitorous Trappers need to equal the number of Trappers to win. The Trappers need to eliminate all of the Traitorous Trappers to win.

Spoiler

Aviar(Roles):

Healer: Your Aviar gifts you with the knowledge to heal all but the most deadly of wounds. (Each turn you can protect one player from death. You cannot protect the same player two nights in a row. Your protection can protect someone from traps or the Traitorous Trappers’ kill, not both. Your protection cannot protect someone from a Nightmaw attack or the lynch).[Activates Traps] 

Spy: Your Aviar gifts you with stealthiness, letting you spy on the other Trappers. (Each turn, you can learn one player's alignment. Has a 15% chance of giving incorrect alignment). [Activates Traps]

Aviar Spy: Your Aviar gives you the power to know other Aviar’s gifts. (Each turn you can choose one player and you learn their Aviar's power). [Activates Traps]

Good-looking: Your Aviar looks amazing and gives you the gift to look good as well. (If you are spied on, then you will appear as a Trapper. Has a 15% chance of failure. If your Aviar is spied on, then it will appear as a Hidden Aviar).

Hidden: Your Aviar hides your mind from predators. (If the Nightmaw attacks you, you won’t die)

Messenger: Your Aviar gifts you the ability to speak in somebody's mind for a short period of time. (Each turn, you can request a PM with one other player. At the start of the next turn, the GM will set up a PM with you and that other player. The PM will be closed at the end of the turn). 

Aviar Trapper: You know that without their Aviar, the traitors will be greatly weakened. Your Aviar gives you the ability to trap someone else's Aviar(Each turn, you can choose any player. If they have an Aviar, they won’t be able to use their power. Only one Aviar can be captured at a time, so if you capture a new Aviar then the previous one is released. It only takes an action to capture the Aviar, not keep it during the following cycles. This doesn’t block the Traitorous Trappers’ kill. If you are killed, any Aviar that you have captured is freed). [Activates Traps]

Experience:

Master: 5-8%

Expert: 9-12%

Novice: 13-16%

Apprentice: 17-20%

Events:

• Nightmaw attacks: (Once per game, the Traitorous Trappers can unleash a Nightmaw instead of their night kill. The Nightmaw attack cannot be protected by the healer. The Trapper that unleashes the Nightmaw has a 15% chance of being attacked by the Nightmaw as well as the target). NOTE: The Traitorous Trappers cannot win the game until they have unleashed the Nightmaw. 

• Traps: In order to use some of the Aviar’s gifts, you need to travel at night. This is extremely dangerous, and you are much more likely to stumble into a trap. You are told which Aviar activate traps. When a trap is activated, you have the chance of dying equal to your Experience. 

• Example: If your Experience is 13% and you use an Aviar’s power that activates a trap, then you would have a 13% chance of dying.

• The Traitorous Trappers’ kill does not activate traps. Healers can protect you from traps. Each time that you encounter a trap and survive, you become more experienced and your Experience percent decreases by 1(to a minimum of 3). 

Order of actions:

Traitorous Trapper kill/Nightmaw attack & Aviar Trapper

Healer

Lynch

Aviar Spy & Spy

Messenger

Other Things:

• Day and Night turns are combined into one 48 hour turn. 

• A tie lynch vote is randomly chosen

• No lynch vote minimum

• NO PM's ALLOWED, except with the messenger.

• The Traitorous Trappers’ kill takes an action.

• Every player can only use one action per turn.

• At the beginning of the game, you are told what your Experience range is, but not the exact percent.

• Example: You are told you are a Novice, which is 13-16%, but not which percent it is.

Here is a link to the rules.

Signups will close in just under a week on Thursday, October 1st, at 9:00 PM PST

Player List:

Spoiler

1) Lord Silberfarben: @Lord_Silberfarben

2) First of the Bone: @Ashbringer

3) @Elkanah

4) 2nd of the Twilight: @Kings_way

5) Pi of the Book: @Shard of Reading

6) Fourth of the Dark: @Gears

7) Philico: @Matrim's Dice

8) Second of the Dawn: @Ghanderflaffle

9) Third of the Midnight: @Vapor

10) Ninth of the Sky: @JesterLavorre

11) 295864685th of the midnight: @The Windrunner Supreme

12) First of the Clouds: @turtle

13) First of the Light: @Straw

14) Mint: @Frozen Mint

15) First of the Person: @CadCom

16) Twisp Winthrop: @Illwei

Spec Doc:

Spoiler

1) @Mist

2) @Kynedath

Quick Links

Edited by Elandera

There are traitors among us, according to Twelfth of the Moon's journal. I do not know who it could be. I do not interact with other trappers enough to know who would betray Patji in this way. We must find them and kill them before they bring us down. Zek, my Aviar, will aid me as best it can, but against other trappers, it can only do so much. Patji, Father, killer, defender, give us the strength to strike down these traitors that dare to welcome outsiders to your domain. 

Signing up as Fourth of the Dark. All discussion will be held via journal entries. Any OoC comments that cannot be elaborated on via journal will not be italicised. 

Count me in! Philico will play two games at once. Them being First of the Sun and Elantris, they are very far apart, though, so we should be fine...

Is 'Tale' misspelled as 'Tail' on purpose?

Edited by Matrim's Dice

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

I just realized, this will be my first MR. Huh.

Gasp! I just realized this is my first MR too! oh, wait, it's my second SE game ever. And my first non-free-for-all.

(by the way, that was definitely a call for pity. It worked pretty well last time, so I'll try it here)^_^

Edited by Kings_way

58 minutes ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

Can I get one too :P

You probably are safe from a NK if you get village, at least for a few cycles. I doubt you'll be voted out early on either, unless you blatantly do something elimmy, like get scanned or are seen killing :P 

56 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

You probably are safe from a NK if you get village, at least for a few cycles. I doubt you'll be voted out early on either, unless you blatantly do something elimmy, like get scanned or are seen killing :P 

Of course, Our illustrious GM was lynched day one his first game... but we'll try not to do that

2 hours ago, Elkanah said:

Of course, Our illustrious GM was lynched day one his first game... but we'll try not to do that

3 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I feel so safe now. :P

1 hour ago, JesterLavorre said:

I will join as Ninth of the Sky.

Also, which Aviar specifically require an action to use their power? Does using an action mean you don’t get to vote who to lynch?

All of the Aviar except the Good-Looking and the Hidden take actions to use. Good-Looking and Hidden are passive abilities.

Voting does not take an action. It makes it so that you could not submit an elim kill and use an Aviar power in the same turn.