RoW Cheat Sheet

Karger

If it is not too much trouble I would like help making this.  There are a large number of missable details that I think should be noted down.  I will try to keep this limited to directly stated facts and things we can deduce directly.  Some of it will probably turn out to be wrong in some way but this is still not a place for theories.

The Fused.

Dalinar claims that their are nine types of fused and although we do not know how he knows this it is confirmed by Leshwi.  Each order is called a brand in their own language.  Kaladin currently believes he has fought seven of the nine orders.  Unlike the radiants each fused uses one surge.  None of the fused seem to have any kind of body taboo and although at least some have some hygienic rituals they do not appear to care for sex when choosing a body.  Venli also notes that the fused each have their own history/mythology and are irritated that the modern singers don't know them.  The fused have a complex hierarchy with the nine at the top.  Other fused are permitted to speak but not to vote, there are around a hundred of these, and some other fused are granted special privileges.

Fused Orders

• Shanay-im, Those Ones of Heveans are the order we currently know most about.  They are often seen as analogous to the Windrunners.  Venli translates their name as Those Ones of The Heavens.  A friend of mine who knows some ancient Hebrew says that im is usually a suffix and it plurals a word and Shanay sounds a bit like the word for sky or heaven.  Venli notes that the Shanay-im are among the most stable fused although Moash has met several mad ones.  The Shanay-im use the surge of gravitation with great skill although Kaladin notes they must be more frugal with their light then the Windrunners and can't change speed as quickly.
  • Fannahn-im, the Altered Ones are another order of fused.  They use the surge of transformation or soulcasting.  They are builders responsible for creating the new palace at Kholinar.
  • Nex-im, Those Ones of Husks are a very small group of fused.  The surge they use transportation.  Their name seems in reference to the fact that as they translocate they leave behind shells of themselves that quickly disintegrate.  Lezian is the only one Venli has seen in over a year.
  • Mavset-im,Those Ones of Masks are the order of fused that is often compared to the Lightweavers.  We saw one of them during OB attempting to steal Honor's Drop but they are secretive and rarely spotted.
  • Shetel-im, The Flowing Ones manipulate abrasion.  One was scene at the battle of Theylen fields.
  • Makay-im, or Those Ones of Depths are the fused that manipulate cohesion.  We might call them a stoneward parallel although this is not a particularly accurate comparison. They are interesting as they phase through stone in order to move falling through it slightly and then using "buoyancy" to push themselves in a given direction.
  • The last Fused brand we know include one type that manipulates progression.  One was seen during OB at the battle of Theylan Fields and M**** saw one making a saw.

Individual fused

• Leshwi is a fused from the order of the shanay-im.  According to Venli she is respected because of her prowess as a fighter and her maintaining a rational mind.  Venli also notes that Leshwi maintains a status that is just barley important.  Enough to have her opinions considered but not enough that she is deemed essential.  Leshwi admits to being impressed by Windrunners(both radiant and spren) and Kaladin in particular.  She prefers to defend innocents and when hearing the spren have forgiven the singers for their transgression changes sides.
  • Lezian the Pursuer is a fused from the order of nex-im.  According to legend he was the first fused to be killed by a human and after being reborn went to kill only the man who killed him.  He has done this every desolation and from it the tradition has been formed that any fused who is killed by a human in battle may claim that human as a quarry.  Leshwi finds this unprofessional and foolish as his missions often undermine careful plans.  He is also prideful and refuses to acknowledge his own mistakes or failings even going so far as to lie about important events in a manner that could be detrimental to the war effort.  Kaladin is the first human to kill him twice and in doing so breaks the legend.
  • Raboniel, Lady of Wishes/Pain is a fused of the Fannahn-im.  She was one of the nine before deciding the government was too hampering to her projects.  Leshwi relates that she chose her current name Lady of Wishes after deciding that she did not like her old one.  She was apparently responsible for bio-warfare in the past that killed many people on both sides.  Her interests include Urithiru and the connection between Radiants, their oaths, their spren, and their Surges.  The suppression fabrail was made based on knowledge she obtained from Urithiru in prior desolations.  She believes that her "natural talents" and "gifts of Odium" will allow her to corrupt and use the Sibling itself and is proven correct.  However despite Leshwi's worries Raboniel was not fighting for anything but rather against the desolation.  She just wanted things to end one way or the other so that both peoples would no longer have to suffer.
  • Jeshishin is a shanay-im of around the same rank as Leshwi.  He speaks at the council.
  • Zandiel is a fused most likely of the shanay-im.  Leshwi uses him to provide sketches of the fourth bridge.
  • El is a mysterious and high ranking fused who does not have a title.  It has been mentioned it was given to another.  He may have predicted Rayse's fall to Taravangian and is glad to serve a new master.  He is also responsible for transmitting Raboniel's anti-honor light to the other fused.

The Singers

Singer Forms.

There is apparently some difference between forms of power and regular forms.  The rules for distinguishing are not yet known although they are important to singer society.

• Envoyform allows a singer to understand most languages and even things like expressions or tones.  Envoyform is made by a singer bonding an unknown type of voidspren.  The form is tall and has a great deal of distinctive carapace that acts more as ornamentation then armor.  This is described as a form of power held by those called regals.
  • Stormform allowed the listeners to summon the everstorm.  It is made possible by bonding a stormspren, a verity of voidspren.  It is a common combat form used by singers for its ability to create lightning.  It is implied by Ulim that these are also forms of power.
  • Artform is granted by a singer bonding a creationspren.  This form may grant an artistic aptitude.
  • Warform is made with a painspren and grants aggression, strength, and carapace armor. 
  • Mateform is made with an unknown spren.  It grants sexual attraction and the ability to bear children.  Eshonai noted that most couples who want a child will adopt this form and then sequester themselves.  The spren needed for this form are lifespren.
  • Workform grants endurance.  Eshonai preferred this form as did those who wished to do heavy labor.  The spren bonded is gravityspren.
  • Dullform is what happens when a spren that does not grant a real form is bonded.  It is virtually indistinguishable from a parshemen and impedes the mind.
  • Nimbleform is used for non intensive labor.  The singers used this for their scholars and other work not requiring endurance.

Other Singer Things

• The fused know how to build towers that Venli believes should fall over.
  • Rlain showed the Alethi how to use stormlight to grow food in an inhospitable environment by beating a drum to a rhythm that attracts lifespren with infused gemstones nearby. 

The Tones

• Their are three pure tones, one for each of the three rosharan shards.  Each one is produced by a shard and is picked up by that shard's investature(although the transmuting medium is unclear). 
  • Each of the three tones has an anti tone.  An anti tone combined with a tone will produce total destruction.  This allows a fused or spren to be killed permanently for the first time in rosharan history.
  • Mixing tones allows you to combine investiture.  Towerlight is produced by the combination of Honor and Cultivation's tone.  Warlight is made through a combination of Honor and Odium's.  Another light I will call Wildlight could be made with Cultivation and Odium's and a final one I call Rosharlight could theoretically be made with all three.
  • There are many many more tones which could correspond to different types of spren.  One of these is used for Rlain's enhanced growth with stormlight trick.

Fabrails and Urithiru

Fabrails are a fairly new field and the amount of secrecy practiced by different groups of people who study them make me suspect a lot of what is known about them.  A study of Urithiru was started still more recently so it too is poorly understood.

Surge Fabrails

• Although WoBs confirm that every surge can be made into a fabrail only three have been seen on screen.  The soulcasters or Transformation fabrails are easily the most common with modern Vorins even using them at funerals.  In the cognitive realm they look like sleeping radiant spren.  The Progression fabrails have only ever been seen in Dalinar's visions where they were used by radiants to provide regrowth.  The final fabrail was an Adhesion fabrail used by Nale to revive Szeth. 
  • Apparently these Fabrails are created by trapping a sapiant spren in the real world.  For example manifesting an inkspren will create a soulcaster.

Regular Fabrails

• Most fabrails are made by trapping a spren in a gemstone and then touching that gem to metal.  Although most sharders agree that any of the allomantic metals would work and Brandon has confirmed that godmetals would as well not all of the metals and their effects are known. 
  • Trapping a spren is generally the most difficult part of the process.  Although the gemstone type is important you also need to have something the spren is attracted to.  For example making a fire to trap a flamespren.  The gemstone is then placed near the bait.  Experiments indicate 70% infusion is ideal.  To finish trapping the spren you have to rapidly drain the gemstone.  Apparently different methods of doing this are the most closely guarded secrets of each guild.  Larkin are the easiest and probably original method but they are nearly extinct. 
  • The Arnist Method in which even larger dun gemstones are placed nearby and exert a force(like vacuum) which pulls the stormlight out of the gemstone trapping the spren inside. Another method involves using tones to push stormlight from one gemstone into another.
  • Once you have trapped a spren you can use it.  The primary method is to attach it to a metal cage.  The type of metal determines what effect the fabrail will have.  Zinc and Brass control "expression strength" with zinc increasing and brass decreasing this.  Bronze is used for warning fabrails, Pewter for augmenters, Tin for diminishers, and Iron for attractors. Steel and Iron also "change polarity" although we do not yet know what this means.
  • Warning fabrails alert one to objects or entities nearby.  For example Rysn was able to detect approaching Shin with one.
  • Augmenters increase some attribute while diminishers decrease it.  Navani's painrail is an example.
  • Attractors pull some type of object to a source.  For example the ghoostbloods have a fabrail that draws smoke from across the room.
  • Conjoiners are created from dividing a trapped spren in two.  Spanreeds are an example.  Flamespran are traditionally used for this purpose as they divide easily.  It is unknown how to make their inverse.
  • Logicspren fabrails are interesting as they work not be having a spren express an attribute but by exploiting the fact that when draining logicspren gemstone at a controlled rate they pulse at regular intervals.  This is used to make clocks.

Other Fabrails

• Void Fabrails are not yet understood and we only know of two.  The fused call the first a suppressor and it prevents radiants from surgbinding or summoning blades.  How it works is unknown although it seems to be based on a similar fabrail in Urithiru that prevents voidbinding.  It is theorized that a powerful enough radiant can break through this field.
  • The second is the spears of the Shanay-im which drain stormlight from a radiant once they wound them.  These are not effectively fabrails at all as no spren is involved.  These spears are made from two metals.  One that blocks investiture and another that conducts it.  The blocking metal is aluminum and the conducting metal is Raysium.  Navani theorizes that the fused can pull investiture from a radiant by the same vacuum mechanic used in water pumps.

Urithiru

• Still working on this one help appreciated
  • Urithiru is located in a basically impassible group of mountains and is only truly accessible via tunnel or oathgate.  It is a highly defensible location both due to its location and its architecture.  The tower city had never fallen to invasion in its several thousand years.  Notable features of this tower include the oathgates(which offer travel to the 10 capitals of the silver kingdoms as well as the cognitive realm), specialized fabrails to aid in living(such as heating, pressurization and water pumps), and most notably a suppression fabrail that prevents the fused from surgebinding.
  • It has become clear recently that the tower can regular its temperature and pressure as well as detect oncoming storms.
  • The Tower has many doors designed to only be accessible to radiants that function by infusing spesific gemstones inside the walls. 
  • The sibling can see and hear through veins of strata that line the walls.
Edited by Karger

7 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

1 quick suggestion. I'd distinguish between the base singer forms, war, work, mate etc. and the greater Regals, envoy and storm. I believe it's the WoR epigraphs that have a bunch of info o  different Regal forms.

A good suggestion.  It is annoyingly one I am not sure how to implement though.  What makes a form "greater?"  Does every void form count?  Where all stormforms regal?  Thanks for reminding me of stormform though.

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

A good suggestion.  It is annoyingly one I am not sure how to implement though.  What makes a form "greater?"  Does every void form count?  Where all stormforms regal?  Thanks for reminding me of stormform though.

I'd draw the distinction at whether or not they have a void spren. Natural forms existed before Odium and bonded with "normal" spren even before H and C got there.  The epigraphs refer to voidspren bonds as "forms of power" and OB gives us the additional name Regals.

In the coppermind the Song of Listing gives the base forms.  The Songs of Wind and Secrets give the void/regal/power forms.

Edit for clarity here's the quote

The listeners recounted many common forms in the Song of Listing, which they only had access to only a small subset of. They also have songs which sung of dangerous forms of power in the Song of Secrets and the Song of Winds.

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

1 hour ago, StormFather! said:

Work form is a gravity spren

Thank you I missed that.

58 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I'd draw the distinction at whether or not they have a void spren. Natural forms existed before Odium and bonded with "normal" spren even before H and C got there.  The epigraphs refer to voidspren bonds as "forms of power" and OB gives us the additional name Regals.

That is perfectly reasonable however for now I think it best to just note the forms described as "forms of power."  I agree Odium probably would not bother making voidforms for other things but that does not preclude Honor and Cultivation's spren also having the ability to grant greater forms.

Another suggestion.

I'd argue that Shanay-im are the Skybreaker equivalents.  Each radiant order has a primary and secondary surge.  We know this because the primary is always listed first.  Windrunners primary surge is adhesion; gravitation is the Skybreakers.  Going around the circle this makes the (currently unintroduced) Division wielders match up with Dustbringers, abrasion with Edgedangers, progression with Truthwatchers, illumination using Mavset-im for Lightweavers, transformation (presumably the Fannahn-im) with Elsecallers, the transportation wielding Nex-im match Willshapers, an unintroduced tension wielder (slim chance this is actually the Fannahn-im) for Stonewards, we skip Bondsmiths and cohesion, and we have a final unintroduced Windrunner equivalent with adhesion.

Edit: Just saw your theory on the Fannahn-im.  Its a good argument, but I still think they're most likely Elsecaller parellels .

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

1 hour ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Edit: Just saw your theory on the Fannahn-im.  Its a good argument, but I still think they're most likely Elsecaller parellels .

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I'd argue that Shanay-im are the Skybreaker equivalents.

Your argument could easily be valid.  The analogy I was pointing to was thematic not mechanical.  Leshwi is clearly a foil for Kaladin and is our Shanay-im representative.  I don't think we will have a one to one match up in any event.

1 hour ago, Vuvnak said:

Thank you for your work !

Your welcome.  It was as much for my reference as other people's.   Thank you for contributing.

1 hour ago, Vuvnak said:

I think you forgot one of the Fused, those who use progression to grow weapons or tools from their carapace.

I did not.  I listed it under other fused but it took a while to find.

1 hour ago, Vuvnak said:

And also, maybe lifespren are more appropriate for Mateform.  

Do we have a reference for that?

Okay, first off, this is really impressive Karger! You've put a lot of work into this!

On 10/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, Karger said:

Lezian the Pursuer is a fused from the order of nex-im.  According to legend he was the first fused to be killed by a human and after being reborn went to kill only the many who killed him.  He has done this every desolation and from it the tradition has been formed that any fused who is killed by a human in battle may claim that human as a quarry.  Leshwi finds this unprofessional and foolish as his missions often undermine careful plans.  He is also prideful and refuses to acknowledge his own mistakes or failings even going so far as to lie about important events in a manner that could be detrimental to the war effort. 

I believe that Lezian is the only fused who goes "pursues" the person who kills him, Lewshi calls the practice "His tradition".

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

I believe that Lezian is the only fused who goes "pursues" the person who kills him, Lewshi calls the practice "His tradition".

It is but

The man who killed the Pursuer has killed me. I claim prior privilege to the life of Stormblessed. The Pursuer must, in this case, wait upon my pleasure.”

So it has become kind of a thing.  It is still his tradition because its origin is with him but now others have started emulating it and it even seems to have some legal weight.

2 hours ago, Nameless said:

Okay, first off, this is really impressive Karger! You've put a lot of work into this!

Thanks.  Also thank you for taking the time to read and point out a potential problem.

Maybe under 'Surge Fabrials' have a brief pice on Regrowth and Transformation fabrials (The Regrowth fabrial that Nale uses on Szeth, and seen in one of Dalinar's visions. Transformation fabrials are more commonly known as Soulcasters) and how they have appeared on screen, with a small comment on Soulcasters and the extra restrictions they have compared to a Radiant using Transformation?

Excellent work you've done here, I've found it really helpful to just be able to read over all that we know or have seen that relates to RoW so far, and be able to see different ways it can be put together to create different theories!

On 10/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, Karger said:
  •  A friend of mine who knows some ancient Hebrew says that im is usually a prefix but it plurals a word and Shanay sounds a bit like the word for sky or heaven.

It's a suffix, actually. One chatul, two chatulim and so forth. The word for heaven is shemayim... come to think of it, that has a plural-sounding ending for some reason. *deletes irrelevant linguistic speculation*. Uh, anyway. Yes, it is very similar.

33 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

It's a suffix, actually. One chatul, two chatulim and so forth. The word for heaven is shemayim... come to think of it, that has a plural-sounding ending for some reason. *deletes irrelevant linguistic speculation*. Uh, anyway. Yes, it is very similar.

Care to try with the others?

On 10/7/2020 at 0:38 AM, DiamondMind said:

We got more names! Let's make a chart

Surge

Fused

Hebrew Origin

Hebrew Meaning

Adhesion

Gravitation

shanay-im

Shamayim

Sky

Division

Abrasion

Progression

Illumination

mavset-im

Masveh

Mask

Transformation

Fannahn-im

Hafoch?

Change

Transportation

Nex-im

Cohesion

Tension

Any idea what Nex could be?

On 10/9/2020 at 10:11 AM, Nathrangking said:

Shanayim could also play off of the hebrew word Shnayim which means two. That could reference their propensity to the one on one style of fighting. 

Nex-im could be be nes or perhaps nisa- the word for traveling. 

@Necessary Eagle

There is a names of the fused thread these are from there.