What is Truth?

Condensation

In my opinion, there is a distinction to be made between scholarly truth and personal truth. In my own definition, scholarly truths are ideas that are fixed in reality and are not questioned at the time of their prominence. This definition encircles ideas such as equations, which include simple concepts like the addition of two and two, which unquestionably equals four. This idea is logically sound and cannot be argued upon by any scientific means. 

On the other hand, personal truth is one’s belief in something that they hold to be correct. They maintain this statement so strongly that they don't feel the need to question it at all. This truth is part of their identity and their fundamental views about life. They believe that this truth is unshakeable and unwavering; nonetheless, over time, peoples’ personal truths may begin to shift. This is comparable to a child’s opinion on their favorite color. Upon being asked their favorite color, a child may respond, unhesitating, that blue is their favorite. However, during the next few years, they may discover that they enjoy looking at the color red. If the child is asked if he likes the color blue during this period of change, he will probably respond that blue is still his favorite, although perhaps with some delay. One’s once steadfast and concrete confidence may weaken into a smaller, more abstract idea that has less of an impact on a person’s opinions: this is exemplified by the metaphor given above. As the influence of this truth on personal ideas is minimized  stronger “truths” come to be more prominent in a person’s set of ideals. Eventually, as in the child's favorite color metaphor, one's favorite color may change to red when it was once blue. This cycle continues over a person’s life, and different opinions and “truths” replace each other in an endless sequence of change.

I am of the opinion that different people have different personal truths. One may find themselves believing that they are a shy person. They repeat it constantly to themselves until, eventually, this becomes a personal truth for them. Another may have the belief that they are confident, and this may become a personal truth for them. These ideas may change over time, yet a person is always in possession of a personal truth of themselves, whether they like a certain genre of music, or a style of clothing, or have a certain perception about the world. 

Sorry, this post ran a little longer than I intended. I began to answer with a different opinion in mind, but as I mulled it over, I changed my mind. What do you think, @Condensation?

Edited by MusicalReader

1 minute ago, MusicalReader said:

In my opinion, there is a distinction to be made between scholarly truth and personal truth. In my own definition, scholarly truths are ideas that are fixed in reality and are not questioned at the time of their prominence. This definition encircles ideas such as equations, which include simple concepts like the addition of two and two, which unquestionably equals four. This idea is logically sound and cannot be argued upon by any scientific means. 

On the other hand, personal truth is one’s belief in something that they hold to be correct. They maintain this statement so strongly that they don't feel the need to question it at all. This truth is part of their identity and their fundamental views about life. They believe that this truth is unshakeable and unwavering; nonetheless, over time, peoples’ personal truths may begin to shift. In simpler terms, this is comparable to a child’s favorite color. Upon being asked their favorite color, a child may respond, unhesitating, that blue is their favorite. However, during the next few years, they may discover that they enjoy looking at the color red. If the child is asked if he likes the color blue during this period of change, he will probably respond that blue is still his favorite, although perhaps with some delay. One’s once steadfast and concrete confidence may weaken into a smaller, more abstract idea that has less of an impact on a person’s opinions: this is exemplified by the metaphor given above. As the influence of this truth on personal ideas is minimalized, stronger “truths” come to be more prominent in a person’s set of ideals. This cycle continues over a person’s life, and different opinions and “truths” replace each other in an endless sequence of change.

I am of the opinion that different people have different personal truths. One may find themselves believing that they are a shy person. They repeat it constantly to themselves until, eventually, this becomes a personal truth for them. Another may have the belief that they are confident, and this may become a personal truth for them. These ideas may change over time, yet a person is always in possession of a personal truth of themselves, whether they like a certain genre of music, or a style of clothing, or have a certain perception about the world. 

Sorry, this post ran a little longer than I intended. I began to answer with a different opinion in mind, but as I mulled it over, I changed my mind. What do you think, @Condensation?

See, this is what I thought. I feel like there is a difference between external truths and internal truths, while my class argued that truth is fact, with no difference. If something is proven to be untrue, it was never true in the first place. This is a perfect way of stating my ideas, thanks!

3 minutes ago, Condensation said:

See, this is what I thought. I feel like there is a difference between external truths and internal truths, while my class argued that truth is fact, with no difference. If something is proven to be untrue, it was never true in the first place. This is a perfect way of stating my ideas, thanks!

No problem! I enjoyed thinking about it! Thanks for creating this thread! It was really helpful for me to understand it; I didn't really have a concrete comprehension over "truth" before I wrote this and thought it over. 

Edited by MusicalReader

5 minutes ago, MusicalReader said:

No problem! I enjoyed thinking about it! Thanks for creating this thread! It was really helpful for me to understand it; I didn't really have a concrete comprehension over "truth" before I wrote this and thought it over. 

It was no trouble, I thought it would be a good thing to ponder.

Just now, Condensation said:

Does it? Or does it go (you know what, just look at this: https://omniglot.com/language/animalsounds/cows.htm )

what's up with Bengali? hamba?

also i'm derailing the purpose of this thread so let me just say i agree with everything that's been said byeeeeeeeeee

3 minutes ago, Doomstick said:

Yes, in many instances 

So would the statement, "truth is subjective" be true?

1 hour ago, Karger said:

A subjective conceit made up by humans so that they can justify their overinflated egos.

Is this the truth?

Edited by Scarletfox