Hello, Hello!

Mallory

Hi everyone, you can call me Mal or Mallory, whatever works. I'm a high schooler and very new to the Cosmere and Brandon Sanderson in general, but I'm loving what I've read so far (Stormlight Archive books 1-3.) I definitely started in the wrong order, since I had no idea everything was connected when I stumbled upon the book, but that just means I have more to read while I wait for the rest of the series! Anyway, I'm so excited to be in the community and hear other people's takes on the books, I also love roleplaying so that should be fun. Thanks so much for reading, journey before destination! 

Welcome to the Shard, Mal! Don’t worry about reading things out of order, as long as you read it all eventually you’ll generally get the references. I’m glad you like roleplaying, we have a robust RP community! :D 

Thank you everyone! :) My favorite character... I love most of Brandon's characters, but Kaladin, Renarin and Wit are probably my top three. And I've seen a lot of the RPs, I'm not really sure which to join since there are so many, I definitely need to look further into it and see which ones I could do without having read the other Cosmere books (yet.) But if you have any advice, I'd love to know how the RP system works. Thank you! :)

Both very good questions. The only person I could think of who might be defeated by a cat would be some kind of spren, like Syl or Pattern or Wyndle (because they would either be fascinated or confused or just too kind to fight an animal, though that's assuming they'd never seen one.) But I thought about that for an impressive three seconds so I'm not totally sure lool. What about you?

As for Shallan, it's complicated? I didn't like her in the first book, I loved her in the second, and I was torn in Oathbringer. She's completely brilliant, creative minds are wonderful, and I live for her quips, and girl power is great; but she can be whiny and unproductive and... yep, annoying at times. She is growing on me though. I hope that's not too ghastly an opinion haha. 

If I could be in any order, I'd probably be an Edgedancer. It would be super awesome to have their abilities. I'm glad someone else read Stormlight first too lol. Um... I might just go in the order they were published, though if there's one that I absolutely should read next, I'd totally do that. Like I said, I'm very new to the Cosmere so I'm not exactly sure where everything fits chronologically. Thank you all for the warm welcome, everyone has been so nice and this seems like such a great community. 

Welcome to the Shard! Happy to have you join us! Newbies and oldbies (... yeah that doesn't quite look right but *shrug* :P) to the Cosmere are all completely welcome!

Perfect that you are loving it so far. You have definitely come to the right place then! Don't worry about the order too much. The whole point of everything being interconnected is that you can start anywhere! Directly from Brandon's website:

I recommended reading the books in sequential order rather than trying to dive into the second book in a series without having read the first book. That said, it really doesn’t matter which Cosmere series you start with

so you'll be fine wherever. And yeah, the more reading the better!

Super cool you love RP so much. Perhaps @Condensation + @Channelknight Fadran can give you a better explanation of the RP system if you don't already get one from someone else. I also believe that they both have RPs that don't require complete Cosmere knowledge so they can probs give you more info on that as well. Hope you have an amazing time!

Edit: And @Koloss17 another round of brilliant questions lol (and a great answer Mallory!)

Edited by Scout_Fox

4 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Welcome to the Shard! Happy to have you join us! Newbies and oldbies (... yeah that doesn't quite look right but *shrug* :P) to the Cosmere are all completely welcome!

Perfect that you are loving it so far. You have definitely come to the right place then! Don't worry about the order too much. The whole point of everything being interconnected is that you can start anywhere! Directly from Brandon's website:

Super cool you love RP so much. Perhaps @Condensation + @Channelknight Fadran can give you a better explanation of the RP system if you don't already get one from someone else. I also believe that they both have RPs that don't require complete Cosmere knowledge so they can probs give you more info on that as well. Hope you have an amazing time!

Edit: And @Koloss17 another round of brilliant questions lol (and a great answer Mallory!)

Thanks! And @Mallory, I’m happy to return the favor. I like your assessment, but it really does depend on whether they are in the Cognitive Realm or not. I’d think that in the Physical Realm, windless would probably be to confused you fight, and run away as soon as the cat attacks. Syl could just fly away, not allowing the cat to nap at it. Pattern is a pattern, so no chance of hitting him. And even then, that is ignoring the fact that they can’t be touched in the PR (Physical Realm). In the cognitive, spren are much bigger and much more powerful, so even though you can touch them, it would still be tough. The only exception would probably be Wyndle. He is a wuss and might jab at the cat, but then hide behind lift, who would totally beat the cat. But without lift and in the CR, Wyndle is screwed. 

that is my very serious analysis of cats vs spren. Thank you for the opportunity for me to go over it! I generally just get to ask the silly questions, not answer them myself.

maybe I should make a thread about asking such silly questions to all of the other members of the shard...

Edited by Koloss17

4 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

AHH! I'VE BEEN SUMMONED!!!

Oh, RP help, you say? Another one for the flock?

Come, @Mallory; I will teach you all there is to know of roleplaying.

5 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Yes, hello! @Mallory, if Fadran hasn't already taught you, I would love to! I'm so glad you thought of me, Scout_Fox! :)

Oh my gosh, y'all are so nice and helpful, thank you. :) My least favorite character? I really don't like Taravangian, he sucks and he's annoying and I feel absolutely no sympathy for him lool. I think the most fascinating concept to me is the spren and the way they function and all the different types, they're just fascinating. I think I would rather live on a ship than in the chasms, that way I wouldn't be in constant danger of being eaten. 

Also, some RP help would be awesome if you have the time. I haven't had the chance to read all the guides and figure it out yet, so I'd love some tips. :) (And a thread for silly questions would be amazing, I would be there for it lol.) 

9 minutes ago, Mallory said:

Also, some RP help would be awesome if you have the time. I haven't had the chance to read all the guides and figure it out yet, so I'd love some tips. :) (And a thread for silly questions would be amazing, I would be there for it lol.) 

As Ghanderflaffle said, I’d love to help you get started with RPs. I can definitely answer any questions you have, but would also recommend checking out these threads for information about the Alleyverse, the largest RP universe on the site (the first two you can ask questions in):