When was that ruling group established?

Oltux72

Apologies for the title. Doing that without spoilers is hard.

We have seen the Nine. OK, they are creepy. Yet how old are they?

Their treatment would not work on normal people. You'd get bed sores, chafing, infection and finally sepsis. As soon as the end results of digestion appear, things get really ugly and lethal quickly. They depend on arcane means of nutrition and healing. Can they be a remnant of the government under Honor and Cultivation? Not really, they were forbidden the power of spren and surges. So it must come from Odium. So how old is it? Did they

• get Voidlight before their Surges?
  • did the Nine postdate the Surges among the Fused

This may have a connectuion to Shin religion. Is it possible that the Hallowed Stones date back to Odium being mankind's god?

6 minutes ago, earthexile said:

I don't think this is really a big problem, in terms of being something the Fused can set up. They have magic to alter their bodies and shape stone, and Voidlight probably heals and sustains life just like Stormlight does, and they're always full of it. 

Right. The Fused can set it up. The ancient Singers could not. So why did the Fused start it? And when?

18 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

We have seen the Nine. OK, they are creepy. Yet how old are they?

I can think of several possibilities.  One is that they used to be spren.  Roshar has a number of important and intelligent spren with given specialties that could be consulted by an intelligent people.  We know of nine that have changed.  I have a mental picture of a singer(the tenth) elected by their fellows to run the ruling council of spren.  Imprisoning them in gemstone keeps them in place and insures that they are working for you rather then wandering off.  Another is that this is a demonstration of power.  Perhaps the original leaders of the singers used thrones but the fused did this in the old days to remind the normies how powerful and fanatical they were and now it has stuck.

One possibility is that they started in a similar way of what we saw with the listeners and with millennia of war they evolved into this. 

They probably had a ruling group made of one individual of each of their forms at the time and when they achieved the forms of power was when they decided those are superior and the only ones which deserved being part of the elite. As they became cognitive shadows and all their lifes focused entirely on war maybe they needed some kind of metaphorical way of saying they were the ones more commited to the cause and to the war effort and started doing shows of power and, eventually, one of them maybe started that trend and in time it became a requisite to be able to sacrifice that much if you wanted to be part of this group. 

If I had to bet about it we are probably going to see that in the heralds flashback and how the fight evolved during the Desolations. 

I think they are more of an elected council that can change. In that chapter the new Fused said they stepped down from being one. This implies rotating leadership kinda similar to the Listeners, (the Five). Makes sense right? So the Nine are either all different forms of Fused or just maybe something else but are all on display the same way. I really like how Brandon is showing us the Evil side in a really cool and interesting way. His magics are always so intricate and I'm excited to see more of the Unmade and Voidbinding.