Could Thaidakar be Yesteel?

Nightweaver

Now that we know what the Ghostbloods hope to accomplish, I can’t help thinking that the people who have the most to gain from being able to take stormlight off-world would be Nalthian Returned. We know that Vasher is able to evade the breath cost of the weekly divine breath tax by using stormlight instead. Maybe Yesteel, who would also have knowledge of Roshar, had the same idea as Vasher and decided to go to Roshar as well. On a more sinister note, perhaps Yesteel founded the Ghostbloods so that he could one day transport copious amounts of stormlight over to Nalthis and mass produce some Nightbloods.

The next sample chapter supposedly has Vasher in it and is going to be pretty cosmere aware. I think having a Nalthian leader for the Ghostbloods makes it easier for Vasher to have an actual role in the Stormlight books. Maybe the whole reason Vasher travelled to Roshar in the first place was to hunt down Yesteel. Plus, we know Vivenna is looking for someone too so maybe Yesteel escapes at the end of the Warbreaker sequel and ends up on Roshar? His longevity would certainly help him live long enough to establish a secret organization like the Ghostbloods.

The last thing I want to point out is that Yesteel was the inventor of the ichor-alcohol for Lifeless. Essentially, blood for dead things. Ghost-blood?

1 hour ago, Nightweaver said:

The next sample chapter supposedly has Vasher in it and is going to be pretty cosmere aware. I think having a Nalthian leader for the Ghostbloods makes it easier for Vasher to have an actual role in the Stormlight books. Maybe the whole reason Vasher travelled to Roshar in the first place was to hunt down Yesteel.

I feel you are multiplying entities without need. Take the simplest approach. Zahel is a cover. Thaidakar is Vasher.

Edited by Oltux72
Thought I was replying to a reply

I had a similar thought:

On 10/12/2020 at 1:27 AM, Nightweaver said:

The last thing I want to point out is that Yesteel was the inventor of the ichor-alcohol for Lifeless. Essentially, blood for dead things. Ghost-blood?

This is the single best piece of evidence I could possibly hope for. It's too perfect.

I'll just throw out something I remember from the Warbreaker annotations about Yesteel. If the coup had gone on successfully, Yesteel would have reacted, probably with more swords like Nightblood. Either way, he's been waiting just over the mountains for quite some time.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:27 AM, Nightweaver said:

Now that we know what the Ghostbloods hope to accomplish, I can’t help thinking that the people who have the most to gain from being able to take stormlight off-world would be Nalthian Returned. We know that Vasher is able to evade the breath cost of the weekly divine breath tax by using stormlight instead. Maybe Yesteel, who would also have knowledge of Roshar, had the same idea as Vasher and decided to go to Roshar as well. On a more sinister note, perhaps Yesteel founded the Ghostbloods so that he could one day transport copious amounts of stormlight over to Nalthis and mass produce some Nightbloods.

The next sample chapter supposedly has Vasher in it and is going to be pretty cosmere aware. I think having a Nalthian leader for the Ghostbloods makes it easier for Vasher to have an actual role in the Stormlight books. Maybe the whole reason Vasher travelled to Roshar in the first place was to hunt down Yesteel. Plus, we know Vivenna is looking for someone too so maybe Yesteel escapes at the end of the Warbreaker sequel and ends up on Roshar? His longevity would certainly help him live long enough to establish a secret organization like the Ghostbloods.

When I started reading this theory, I was all like, psssht, c'mon.

But then, hmm.

And then, Huh.

And finally. WHOAH.

vO4PSXAd6O2lkjjkZZHP2dRjYH8=.gif

Edited by robardin

On 10/12/2020 at 4:27 AM, Nightweaver said:

Brilliant. It's so Sadnersonesque- all the information is there , but you have to make the connections to see how it fits together.

How did you even think of this? Did you start by thinking maybe he's Yesteel or by wondering what "Ghostblood" referred to?

Edited by Hearty_Joe

On 10/14/2020 at 8:08 AM, Rainier said:

I had a similar thought:

This is the single best piece of evidence I could possibly hope for. It's too perfect.

I'll just throw out something I remember from the Warbreaker annotations about Yesteel. If the coup had gone on successfully, Yesteel would have reacted, probably with more swords like Nightblood. Either way, he's been waiting just over the mountains for quite some time.

You beat me to it! Good point on the annotations, I really should go through them again to see if there are any clues.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:18 AM, Karger said:

He is sneaky, cosmere aware, alive, and probably on roshar.  Sounds like he fits our perp.

Glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks this is possibility!

9 hours ago, robardin said:

When I started reading this theory, I was all like, psssht, c'mon.

But then, hmm.

And then, Huh.

And finally. WHOAH.

vO4PSXAd6O2lkjjkZZHP2dRjYH8=.gif

Now we just need to see Thaidakar on screen whispering commands to verify it!

2 hours ago, Hearty_Joe said:

Brilliant. It's so Sadnersonesque- all the information is there , but you have to make the connections to see how it fits together.

How did you even think of this? Did you start by thinking maybe he's Yesteel or by wondering what "Ghostblood" referred to?

So Brandon hinted on reddit that Vasher would be in chapter 15 and there would be some cosmere aware stuff in it. All of Mraize’s discussion with Shallan was still floating around my brain so I started wondering if the reason Vasher was coming into play was because he was scared that the transport of stormlight to Nalthis could lead to more Nightbloods (I was wrong about this but it sent me thinking in an interesting direction). Who’s one of the only people who knows how to create something like Nightblood? Yesteel.

After looking at the coppermind to refresh my memory I remembered that Yesteel is the one who made ichor alcohol and it clicked for me that it’s essentially Ghost-blood. Reading about his competitive streak with Shashara made me think it he might just be the kind of person to name an organization after one of his biggest discoveries, or that Rosharan languages don’t actually have a word for ichor and Ghostblood is a result of weird translation (probably not since the alcohol part should have translated properly). Either way, things seemed to fit and that’s how I arrived at the theory!