Ink based magic system

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Ok so a little bit ago I was thinking of a kind of magic system that revolves around ink and essentially the way it would work is certain types of ink do different things like there's bind-ink which sticks to anything that touches it until a inkmaker (magic user) touches it deactivating it or ever-ink which is invincible as well as anything that touches it so does anybody here have any ideas on the different types of ink and the way these magic inks are made?

Inks:

bind-ink, slip-ink 

ever-ink, mend-ink

Never-ink, Day-ink 

bright-ink, Night-ink

Edited by Somebody from Sel
Added ink :)

Well what I was thinking of was just the type of ink so currently here's the examples a cane coated with ever-ink can't be destroyed until after it is deactivated by a inkmaker. True-bind-ink a combination of bind-ink and ever-ink that stops a sword from cutting through it and sticks to the sword I've mostly just gone with the composition of the ink and not what it depicts (although when it is connected to especially strong memories it's power is increased) I'm mostly looking for other types of ink and what is used to make them on a slightly related topic I've come up this: only inkmakers can make magical inks but there are varying levels of skill so this got longer than I thought it would but thanks for the ideas 

I have to go to bed so I might only see any responses tomorrow but feel free to respond

Edited by Somebody from Sel

If your focus is on ink types, then perhaps using variations on the source can affect it, so plant based inks, animal inks, mineral based, and what is added. So plant based inks could be the sticky type if the plant it is made from is known to cling to surfaces, while the indestructible ink could be made from a type of very tough stone that has been reduced to a powder.

Maybe have the ink grow in power as it ages, at first it's really weak but it gets stronger. A nice check on anyone trying anything.

But as to composition

The earliest inks where made of plants, octopi and squid ink are of course ink, and during the revelutionary war soldiers used "dry ink" which was a powder that they could turn into ink when wet.

8 hours ago, Ixthos said:

If your focus is on ink types, then perhaps using variations on the source can affect it, so plant based inks, animal inks, mineral based, and what is added. So plant based inks could be the sticky type if the plant it is made from is known to cling to surfaces, while the indestructible ink could be made from a type of very tough stone that has been reduced to a powder.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Maybe have the ink grow in power as it ages, at first it's really weak but it gets stronger. A nice check on anyone trying anything.

But as to composition

The earliest inks where made of plants, octopi and squid ink are of course ink, and during the revelutionary war soldiers used "dry ink" which was a powder that they could turn into ink when wet.

So thank you for these I quite like @Ixthos's idea powder made from rock and mashed plants and should also tell you @Frustration that I'm going with a base ink that appears naturally, similar to oil deposits however it is drawn higher up when the other types of magic are used (will explain those in a bit) which is how modern day people have access to it (by modern day I mean mideival times) so here are some new ink ideas: bright-ink it glows often mixed in very small amounts with other inks to make it slightly easier to read. Yellow on its own but it is always over ridden by other colors. Never-ink or red-ink is a type of ink that is incredibly rare due to it being made out of the blood of twilight-born but when used it will disappear after anyone but the writer reads it. Red in color duh. Night-ink is even more rare than never-ink because it is made out of the blood of night-born although during the attacks of night it was much more common it stays invisible to everyone but the writer. Dark blue to black in color said to slightly absorb light around it. Day-ink has not been seen in centuries believed to be the ink of the gods and hasn't been seen sense although legend says that it was invisible to author and that it was used to keep the contract of no return hidden from the gods so they would not destroy and return to the world. Gold in color said to glow. Mend-ink is made from crushed aloe or nettle this ink works similar to bind-ink however it binds to itself and whatever it is attached to and will slowly turn back time on whatever surface it touches. Dark to light green in color (it does not work on living beings although it does work on skeletons although it will not return life to the skeleton!!!!) So ideas for more ink types?