smartycope

Rithmatist: The Game

34 posts in this topic

I'm going to learn Unity and attempt a month long game jam to see what I can get done before I leave for 2 years. Wish me luck!

It'll just be a 2D game for now, if I can get a line of vigor to bounce off a line of forbiddance and break a line of warding I would be ecstatic 

I mean, I *prefer* Godot, because it's open source and free, but yeah, that would be WAY cool!

I don't know really anything about Godot but I'll look into it. I'm using the free version of unity (idk how much the paid one changes but it might not be much) and once I'm in college I should be able to get the student version.

Anyway I've been brainstorming ideas and problem solving and I have lots of cool concepts in mind, but I need input on some concerns!

I'd like to take this to discord if you have that so it would be easier to communicate but here's my idea vomit from a note on my phone:

Screenshot_20220920-130057.thumb.png.be632ff2144f2e346fddde7477f0028c.png

I imagine you would press a key to change what kind of line you were going to draw (like changing your mouse function in Photoshop) and then click to place it.

My next biggest questions would be about controls for your character. I think the right click controls like for MOBAs would work nicely but I also kinda hate those so idk.

I'd be happy to help pitch in. I'm currently working on another math project involving formulas, but once I finish that up, but triangle finding from bind point location is my next up, along with the strenght at a point of warding using the 3d Area theory.

Well I'm trying to crank out what I can on Godot over the next 2 days (I leave on Monday!) but there's just a couple things I could use input on.

First, how would one animate a vigor line? For that matter what do they even look like when they move? I always assumed they would wiggle with the front point moving forward and the back one erasing as it goes. But it never said that did it? The whole thing might just scoot in the direction you point it which would also make sense, especially with reflecting off of forbiddance lines. But anyway animating the movement and reflections sounds annoying. I'll just use a single point for now.

Second is a bigger deal. As I said before I'm leaving on a mission for 2 years. I don't want my game to just sit around in case anyone else wants to work on it, but I also don't just want to put it out on the internet for anyone to use in case I want to take ownership back when I come home. So does someone here want to take it when I'm done? You can share it with people here or discord or wherever but I ask you don't put it anywhere public.

Lastly, does anyone know what the heck they're doing with netcode for Godot? I have absolutely no clue how any of that would work. There's a lot to go before I should even worry about it but I'm just asking ahead of time.

On 3/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, smartycope said:

Honestly, I had some vague concept of taking a few points before and after a given point and getting their slope, but using calculus makes way more sense. 
As for chalklings, yeah, I have no idea. I’ve just been ignoring them for now, because they’re the looser bit of the magic system. I have a vague idea of using something in place of chalklings, like an x, or some other small shape that I can evaluate, then creating a premade chalkling in place of it. 
Also, I think I’m gonna rewrite it all in python, because python is just so easy. 

I don’t know if this would work in programming or anything, but you could offer several choices of chalklings that take different amounts of time to draw, have different stats (speed, attack, defense, you know the drill), and are differently detailed. Maybe you could offer a very large variety and when it’s time for a battle, the player picks three or four or some amount for use in the battle. 

I don’t know how that would work in programming. I’m not smart enough for that. I don’t know if my idea is helpful, or just wouldn’t work at all, so yes. 

—Haly 

I still stand by the chalking library (in which a user creates chalklings that are judged either through programming or upkeep).

For some reason I wasn't notified when there was a response here, so sorry for taking so long. I'd be happy to take over it for now, but may have to shelve it for a while.

I believe that vigor lines move like light waves (you described it as wiggling) due to WoBs stating it acts like light and the way the redirecting picture is drawn (pre-chapter arithmetic diagram).

If it were in some other languages I might be able to help, but sadly I do not know C++

Also how far from finished is this game, if you feel ok with telling us?

Edited by Ookla the Monk