Howdy

smartycope

Hello everyone! I'm smartycope. I'm a gigantic Sanderson geek, and have been meaning to make an account for a long time. I'm sick with covid and not doing anything else, so I figured now is a good time.

I've listened to every Sanderson book at least 8 times (on average, Oathbringer is about 3, and The Alloy of Law is about 30), and have a large list of questions. I'm super excited

I just listen to them like people listen to music. One of my biggest passions is audiobooks, and Michael Kramer and Kate Reading (the people who narrate most of Sanderson's novels) are my favorite narrators.

I can't pick just one! But if I had to choose, I'd say either The Alloy of Law, because it's just so fun, or The Way of Kings, because I can relate to it a lot. 

My favorite magic system would probably be Scadrial's, just because we know so much about it, and it makes so much sense. I really love Sel's as well though (Elantris's specifically)

1 hour ago, smartycope said:

Hello everyone! I'm smartycope. I'm a gigantic Sanderson geek, and have been meaning to make an account for a long time. I'm sick with covid and not doing anything else, so I figured now is a good time.

I've listened to every Sanderson book at least 8 times (on average, Oathbringer is about 3, and The Alloy of Law is about 30), and have a large list of questions. I'm super excited

Hello, and Welcome to the Shard!

What's your favorite cosmere novel?

3 hours ago, smartycope said:

Good to know, thanks.

I don't know, I've never been super big on things like that, as evidenced by me only now getting a 17th Shard account. Do you have a link?

Here’s a link to the official quiz, but there are lots of other ones too.

Welcome to the Shard smartycope! Happy to have you join us! Gigantic Sanderson geeks and the Shard are like one and the same so you have come to the perfect place. So, so sorry to hear you are sick! I sincerely hope it is taking it easy on you and/or you will be better as soon as possible!

Super interesting to hear you like audiobooks so much! What makes them better than physically reading the book to you or what about them makes them your passion? It's reminding me of how Dalinar and others have their books read to them lol

On 10/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, smartycope said:

Nice morse code text, that made me laugh

NO WAY!! Lmao I had never even noticed that @I Am A Fish you're a genius. And @smartycope that's big brain for noticing that lol

Edited by Scout_Fox

20 hours ago, smartycope said:

Nice morse code text, that made me laugh

Favorite novel for being in the Cosmere, would probably be Mistborn: Secret History, because it ties so many things together and hints at even more.

Happy to distribute humor!

6 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

NO WAY!! Lmao I had never even noticed that @I Am A Fish you're a genius. And @smartycope that's big brain for noticing that lmao

I try my best...

I am sooooo excited for Rhythm of War to come out!! 

On 10/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, Mist said:

Which character not from Roshar would make the best Radiant?

Good question! I've never thought about that before. It would depend on which order we're talking about, and whether you're limited by solely cosmere characters or not, but off the top of my head I think I might say Ender, from Ender's game. He would make a good Radiant. 

On 10/11/2020 at 0:35 AM, Scout_Fox said:

What makes them better than physically reading the book to you or what about them makes them your passion?

I initially got into audiobooks because I have ADHD and Tourrete's syndrome, which makes it hard to focus on a page and not loose my spot constantly. With it in your ears, it's just there, and if I miss something, I often re-listen to books anyway. Another thing is the convenience of it. I can listen to books at work, while cleaning, or while riding my bike (I like going on bike rides a lot). I'll also listen to books at 3x, 3.5x speed, so I can listen to books far faster than I can read them now. 

2 hours ago, smartycope said:

I initially got into audiobooks because I have ADHD and Tourrete's syndrome, which makes it hard to focus on a page and not loose my spot constantly. With it in your ears, it's just there, and if I miss something, I often re-listen to books anyway. Another thing is the convenience of it. I can listen to books at work, while cleaning, or while riding my bike (I like going on bike rides a lot). I'll also listen to books at 3x, 3.5x speed, so I can listen to books far faster than I can read them now. 

Oh no way that makes total sense! That's so awesome you have been able to fold it so wonderfully into your routine and it works so well for you! They are such amazing books it would be a shame to have them not be as big a part of your life. Are you getting to the point of Dalinar-esque memorization??

I most definitely agree on how convenient they are to do while doing other things. We've had discussions on perhaps having flying books to hover in front of us but that presents minor issues with like... roads and cars and other things... but yknow nothing we couldn't handle... *screeeeeeech* "Watch it!!"

And dang for 3x to 3.5 times speed that's impressive! Definitely makes things go by snappy and is probably far closer to reading. That's the one thing about audiobooks is they are always paced a bit slow to be clear but you get impatient when used to reading.

What type of biking do you enjoy most? (mountain or road or combo??)