Hello, I'm Whysper

Whysper

Hello, my name is Whysper. I'm a fan of Brandon Sanderson's books, particularly the Mistborn series. I'm currently reading The Way of Kings and really liking this new series.

The main reason I signed up for this site was that I heard about the Sanderson Elimination games. I've recently gotten into playing Forum Mafia and I got the impression that these games were in that category or very similar. So I'm trying to find out more about them and see about signing up for a game.

Hello Whysper I hope you can tell by this really tiny font here that I'm trying to whisper and keep it really quiet so I can fit with the name...

Lol, Welcome to the Shard! So happy to have you here! If you're a fan of Sanderson you have definitely came to the right place!

As for The Way of Kings, man you are in for a ride! Hope you enjoy that series to the utmost degree (and maybe even are caught up in time for RoW???). If you are all through with the Mistborn series I'm sure you would enjoy looking through that section of the forum and chatting it up. Would wait on entering any Stormlight Archive sections until you catch up there tho (unless you love spoilers, you do you!)

What aspect of either series makes it your favorite?

Ooh and I'm sure someone will be by to let you know all about Sanderson Elimination soonish! The most I can give you is that yes it exists and yes it is based off of Forum Mafia. Also a link to the Q & A section for it :P. Welcome again to the Shard!

1 hour ago, Whysper said:

Hello, my name is Whysper. I'm a fan of Brandon Sanderson's books, particularly the Mistborn series. I'm currently reading The Way of Kings and really liking this new series.

The main reason I signed up for this site was that I heard about the Sanderson Elimination games. I've recently gotten into playing Forum Mafia and I got the impression that these games were in that category or very similar. So I'm trying to find out more about them and see about signing up for a game.

Welcome... to heaven. XD

Aww man, I lost my first reply because it got flagged as newcomer spam since I quoted a link. Hope I can remember what I was saying the first time. :)

45 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

Hello Whysper I hope you can tell by this really tiny font here that I'm trying to whisper and keep it really quiet so I can fit with the name...

Haha, I almost skipped reading this. :) Never had anyone use the tiny font on me, but I deserve it with my name. :)

49 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

As for The Way of Kings, man you are in for a ride! Hope you enjoy that series to the utmost degree (and maybe even are caught up in time for RoW???).

Yeah, I'm definitely enjoying it. I can see where it might even be better than Mistborn as I've heard a number of other people say.

50 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

What aspect of either series makes it your favorite?

Well, actually Mistborn was my first series, and the only one until I recently decided to give the Stormlight Archives a try. I love the worldbuilding and the detailed mechanism for allomancy.

51 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

Ooh and I'm sure someone will be by to let you know all about Sanderson Elimination soonish! The most I can give you is that yes it exists and yes it is based off of Forum Mafia.

Ahh, thanks for the confirmation on what Sanderson Elimination is. I'll review the forum and look for how to sign up for a game. And thanks so much for the warm welcome. :)

10 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I recommend checking out the creator's corner. We Sanderson fans like to flex our creative muscles in there.

Ahhh, I'll check it out. I like the idea of doing something creative, but I'm not so good. Haha. But I'll see what others have done. :)

13 minutes ago, Whysper said:

Aww man, I lost my first reply because it got flagged as newcomer spam since I quoted a link. Hope I can remember what I was saying the first time. :)

Haha, I almost skipped reading this. :) Never had anyone use the tiny font on me, but I deserve it with my name. :)

Well, actually Mistborn was my first series, and the only one until I recently decided to give the Stormlight Archives a try. I love the worldbuilding and the detailed mechanism for allomancy.

Oof yeah you have a little anti-spam regulation on you when you first join. Should be gone soon tho!

Lol tiny font can often get lost in the message. Glad you found the yoke tho much gooders :P

Ah yeah totally! A core feature of all of Brandon's work is most definitely the expansive worldbuilding and detailed magic systems. And if you liked that about Mistborn you are gonna love SA!

Oh and totally lol I don't know too much about Sanderson Elimination but I'll ping a few people who do @Experience + @Matrim's Dice. I'm sure they can give a much more comprehensive explanation if you don't already get one from someone else!

7 hours ago, Whysper said:

Hello and welcome to the Shard!

Yes. Sanderson Elimination is forum mafia. There are currently two games running, but the signups for a new game should start in a week or so. I can tag you if you want? Here's the link to it: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/62-sanderson-elimination/.

I am currently running a game. Do you want be to send you a link to the spectator doc?

27 minutes ago, Experience said:

There are currently two games running, but the signups for a new game should start in a week or so. I can tag you if you want?

Ahhh yes, I would appreciate that. Thanks! :)

27 minutes ago, Experience said:

I am currently running a game. Do you want be to send you a link to the spectator doc?

The spec chat is done through a doc? Like a Google Doc? Interesting. The other site I play on uses another private thread. But yeah, if you could include me in the spec chat, that would be great. That might help me see how things are done here. Thanks again. :)

7 hours ago, Whysper said:

Well, Experience beat me too it. Welcome to the Shard! I'll tag you when the signups go up for the next game, which might not be for a week or so. I'm not sure when the ongoing game will end.

10 hours ago, Experience said:

Yes. Sanderson Elimination is forum mafia. There are currently two games running, but the signups for a new game should start in a week or so. I can tag you if you want? Here's the link to it: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/62-sanderson-elimination/.

9 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Well, Experience beat me too it. Welcome to the Shard! I'll tag you when the signups go up for the next game, which might not be for a week or so. I'm not sure when the ongoing game will end.

Yay, glad you got an explanation! Just had to bring over the right people for the job lol. Thanks you two! Hope the next game is lots of fun as well Whysper!

Oh and one last step before you can be officially fully welcomed, someone has to make you feel really good inside by telling you did something wrong :P

Lol, no biggie but the mods discourage double posting. If you have something new editing your last post is the best. You can also tap the plus button next to "quote" on multiple people's posts to quote them all at once. Gargantuan posts ftw!

Edited by Scout_Fox

2 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Oh and one last step before you can be officially fully welcomed, someone has to make you feel really good inside by telling you did something wrong :P

Lol, no biggie but the mods discourage double posting. If you have something new editing your last post is the best. You can also tap the plus button next to "quote" on multiple people's posts to quote them all at once. Gargantuan posts ftw!

Oh really? That's interesting. :) Are you referring to the 2 posts in a row where I first replied to Emi about TWoK and then to Experience about Sanderson Elimination? I would think they should remain two separate posts because they are replying to two separate people about two separate topics.

In any case, if multi-topic multi-reply posts are preferred to keep down the number of posts, I will try to keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip. :)

1 minute ago, Mist said:

Welcome to the Shard! What site did you do Mafia on before? Looking forward to seeing you in SE! 

I played for about 2-3 months (4 games) on Forum of Lies. Recently I've been looking around at other Mafia sites like Mafia Universe to see what they have to offer.

2 minutes ago, Mist said:

Which character do you think would do best in a game of Mafia?

Do you mean a specific character from one of Sanderson's books? Hmmmm, good question. I would expect people have already done games with nobles, Mistings, and Mistborn. Seems like there could be some interesting roles and abilities, with Mistborn being the secret PRs.

1 minute ago, Whysper said:

I played for about 2-3 months (4 games) on Forum of Lies. Recently I've been looking around at other Mafia sites like Mafia Universe to see what they have to offer.

Do you mean a specific character from one of Sanderson's books? Hmmmm, good question. I would expect people have already done games with nobles, Mistings, and Mistborn. Seems like there could be some interesting roles and abilities, with Mistborn being the secret PRs.

If you want to read some old games, they're all there in the Sanderson Elimination subforum. 

And yes, I was asking about a specific character. 

https://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/62-sanderson-elimination/

19 minutes ago, Mist said:

Which character do you think would do best in a game of Mafia? 

9 minutes ago, Mist said:

And yes, I was asking about a specific character.

Hmmm, from TWoK...

Spoiler

I would think the character Shallan could play an interesting investigative role with her drawing ability. I haven't read far enough to know exactly what she sees and how she sees them.

Just now, Whysper said:

Hmmm, from TWoK...

Reveal hidden contents

I would think the character Shallan could play an interesting investigative role with her drawing ability. I haven't read far enough to know exactly what she sees and how she sees them.

That would definitely be interesting. Read And Find Out. :)

6 hours ago, Whysper said:

Oh really? That's interesting. :) Are you referring to the 2 posts in a row where I first replied to Emi about TWoK and then to Experience about Sanderson Elimination? I would think they should remain two separate posts because they are replying to two separate people about two separate topics.

In any case, if multi-topic multi-reply posts are preferred to keep down the number of posts, I will try to keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip. :)

Yupperdoodle those are the ones lol. Yeah, it totally makes more sense to me as well but that's how the prefer it. I would think it might have to do with how they are detecting spambots (as in an instance of 4 or more posts in a row would pop up a notification so they could take a look) and so they just encourage everyone to put it all in one. I'm sure it also helps keep post count down which is probably useful as well.

Yeah, no biggie just something to keep in mind. You get to be the EloquentEli that gives you a 5 paragraph response to whether or not they want pizza and not the PingmasterPaul who's seemingly incapable of texting more than 3 words in a message :P

5 hours ago, Mist said:

That would definitely be interesting. Read And Find Out. :)

And ooh yes definitely RAFO! Welcome again!

Edited by Scout_Fox