Metalmind Shardplate?

Aspiring Writer

Once again, I am back with more theories and questions. So, if a feruchemist got a set of Plate, could he store whatever trait that metal allowed, or would the shard plate interfere or feed off it? Because Plate feeds off investiture and Metalminds are considered another type of investiture that can be fed on (Check Nightblood age, it mentions he could feed of it, and I have a feeling the same might go for Plate.) But can it feed on its own investiture, or this not considered its own investiture? Strange thing to consider, hmm?

Is Shardplate made from metal active in Metalic arts?

No.

Or theoreticly yes, but this is tricky - We know about Allomancer, for Feruchemist will be similar, Connection to Honor is needet, if you want to use Honor Godmetal allomanticly (or feruchemicly). So someone need to be Connected to Preservation, Ruin AND Honor. After that, yes, Feruchemist will be able to store in Tanavastium whatever can be store.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:07 AM, Frustration said:

If it's their plate then they totally could.

Are you sure? We don't even know if radiants can lash themselves in plate, and Kaladin had his stormlight sucked away when having a helmet on in WoR. I am really suspicious of how it would interact with becoming metalmind.

29 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Are you sure? We don't even know if radiants can lash themselves in plate, and Kaladin had his stormlight sucked away when having a helmet on in WoR. I am really suspicious of how it would interact with becoming metalmind.

It's keyed to their identity, so they could use it.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

It's keyed to their identity, so they could use it.

I'm not saying they can't use it, I think that the shardplate will feed upon whatever they store in the plate like it does with stormlight. We know that being the wearer doesn't matter because of kaladin. 

I am pretty sure there is some WOB out there saying that investiture resists its own, such as why it takes a very strong allomancer to push metals inside of someone's body, it is the same with trying to soulcast or lash someone in shardplate, or someone infused with stormlight.

What I am trying to get at is that I don't think the feruchemical charge would take to it because it would be invested, unless the plate was completely drained of stormlight.

43 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I'm not saying they can't use it, I think that the shardplate will feed upon whatever they store in the plate like it does with stormlight. We know that being the wearer doesn't matter because of kaladin. 

This is what I was referring to

17 minutes ago, HoidWasTaken said:

I am pretty sure there is some WOB out there saying that investiture resists its own, such as why it takes a very strong allomancer to push metals inside of someone's body, it is the same with trying to soulcast or lash someone in shardplate, or someone infused with stormlight.

What I am trying to get at is that I don't think the feruchemical charge would take to it because it would be invested, unless the plate was completely drained of stormlight.

It would take if the plate was the Feruchemist's as it is keyed to their identity.

21 minutes ago, HoidWasTaken said:

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

This is what I was referring to

It would take if the plate was the Feruchemist's as it is keyed to their identity.

Feruchemist used Atium pretty well, which is another god metal. Granted, Atium breaks a lot of rules with God metals, but the metallic arts due seem to also make a few exceptions with god metals in general. I think Plate is invested even without stormlight, and the dead plate is the one that needs investiture to keep working. And how is Plate their plate, exactly? Plate isn't bonded to the user unless you mean Plate from a spern bond, which complicates things, especially since we still haven't seen one.

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Feruchemist used Atium pretty well, which is another god metal. Granted, Atium breaks a lot of rules with God metals, but the metallic arts due seem to also make a few exceptions with god metals in general. I think Plate is invested even without stormlight, and the dead plate is the one that needs investiture to keep working. And how is Plate their plate, exactly? Plate isn't bonded to the user unless you mean Plate from a spern bond, which complicates things, especially since we still haven't seen one.

I am referring to living plate

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

I am referring to living plate

Then possibly. We don't know if living plate will allow it's user to use surges on themselves yet, and even then, that is different then consuming investure. The armor resists it, but I'm sure a feruchemist can use his own armor as a metalmind. i just wonder if the armor will just start consuming that as it does with stormlight, assuming it needs it.

12 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Then possibly. We don't know if living plate will allow it's user to use surges on themselves yet, and even then, that is different then consuming investure. The armor resists it, but I'm sure a feruchemist can use his own armor as a metalmind. i just wonder if the armor will just start consuming that as it does with stormlight, assuming it needs it.

Actualy, we know that. We saw in Dalinars Visions Dustbringer using Abrasion to move faster in water, being in Plate.

Technicly, Plate hase the same Identity as Radiant (and Blade) soit should be possible to use ir as Metalmind. Also, Armor dont need Stormlight, unless is damaged.

More interesting question is, in my mind, what happend with stored Atribute (whatevet this is) if Plate will be dismissed?

1 minute ago, Bzhydack said:

Actualy, we know that. We saw in Dalinars Visions Dustbringer using Abrasion to move faster in water, being in Plate.

Technicly, Plate hase the same Identity as Radiant (and Blade) soit should be possible to use ir as Metalmind. Also, Armor dont need Stormlight, unless is damaged.

More interesting question is, in my mind, what happend with stored Atribute (whatevet this is) if Plate will be dismissed?

Interesting. I wonder what trait they would get from the armor and if it is worth doing in combat? And to answer your question, i think we can assume it would keep it, as it is the same blade and plate, is it not?

20 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

We don't know if living plate will allow it's user to use surges on themselves yet

8 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

I would've expected you to reference the slightly more conclusive Vision where the Windrunner is Lashing themselves to fly towards the town attacked by the Midnight Essence while still wearing their Plate. The other Radiant that they were Lashing with them did have to remove their Plate though. This has to do with the Identity of the Radiant and their plate, and that when the Plate is 'keyed' to them (the same way a metalmind is keyed to a Feruchemist) they are able to use Investiture uninhibited. I can't specifically find the WOB that state this, but I'm 99% sure I've seen one of it before. Will edit if I do manage to find it

Investiture resists investiture, even if the investiture belongs to the same person. Honor+Cultivation's investiture would interfere with trying to store Preservation+Ruin's investiture. And living Plate is certainly going to be, well, living. It'd be like trying to store in something already alive.

The existence of atiumminds (a god metal) is an interesting point to focus on; after all, if god metals are a special case of "pure Investiture made solid", then why couldn't a Shardblade (Radiant spren made solid) or Shardplate (Radiant auxiliaryspren made solid?) also be used as a metalmind by a Full Feruchemist (not saying they would spin out Ferrings or Mistings for that metal), possibly for some attribute related to the Shard they derived from?

When Sanderson wrote Mistborn with atiumminds as a plot element, he hadn't quite built this entire system yet, and he's admitted he'd do atium differently if he could go back and rewrite it - and has done so in his Mistborn screenplay. He made burnable not just by Mistborn or Seer Mistings, but by any Allomancer (as it's "godly" and the basis of the Metallic Arts of Scadrial are ultimately derived from a combination of Preservation and Ruin, to different degrees in expression but not of basis). There is be no need then to say how Preservation "jiggled" the Allomantic table to spin out Seers, as the sixteen metals are just be the same set for all time.

So you could make it so that atium's usability as a metalmind is built in to the Metallic Arts, because both are built into Scadrian sDNA which were created ex nihilo by the combination of Preservation and Ruin, but other god metals or spren metals would not be.

Very minor RoW spoiler

Spoiler

Halyo_Alex

Greetings! I just have one or two little questions I thought of after reading some of the RoW preview chapters and their epigraphs on fabrials.

Firstly, you've said before that Soulcasting can't create Atium or Lerasium ( https://wob.coppermind.net/events/136/#e2661 ) which makes sense since they're made of Investiture from other Shards. But could a Soulcaster, perhaps in the proximity of Dalinar's perpendicularity, provide enough Stormlight to Soulcast something into Honor's Godmetal (Tanavastium)? What about Cultivation's metal, or an alloy of both, like Shardblade metal?

And secondly, on the topic of Shardblade metal, could that be used as the metal cage for a Fabrial with an actual effect like the mundane metals we've seen so far?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! :D

Brandon Sanderson

What excellent questions.

So, creating a God Metal is not something that's done easily in the Cosmere. HOWEVER, it is possible. You'd need a ton of Investiture, and being near Dalinar's perpendicularity is unlikely to be enough. I'd say Soulcasting, or something akin to it, has the means to do this if it could obtain the proper power charge.

Shardblade metal could be used in a cage, if you could figure out how to do it, and it would have an effect--though I won't say what.

Thanks for reading! And for your interest.
Brandon