Adolin will become a Stoneward

Dark_Sun77

As I have not keep up with the forums, I apologize if another has already suggested this theory.

Theory: If Adolin becomes an order of Knights Radiance I believe he will become a Stoneward.  Read the description.  He absolutely fits the description.   

Thoughts? Countertheories?

There is a lot of talk in the forums about him becoming an Edge Dancer. His blade, that is somewhat awakened is an Edge Dancer's blade. Both Adolin and his dad do display many traits of Stonewards though. But the way Adolin duels definitely reminds me of the description of Edge Dancers. Only like a month and week till we find out.

Stoneward oaths focus on team dynamics, on learning to work with others, and on being there for those who need them. They put the interests of others before their own, and will not bend their Ideals for the sake of convenience.

Stonewards are the infantry and ground troops of the Radiants and are renowned as their finest soldiers. (A title that, on occasion, the Windrunners dispute.) They tend to attract those who are most interested in warfare, prowess with weapons, or athletics of any sort. They like a challenge, and in times of peace are seen engaging in (and running) various sporting events of both a military and non-military nature. Many enjoy the outdoors, and you’ll find exploration enthusiasts among them, as well as those who just like the fresh air. They tend to be known for their can-do attitudes and for taking on enormous projects (sometimes more than they can handle). However, most agree that the primary attribute of the Stonewards is their dependability. Though sometimes gregarious, they are never flighty. If a Stoneward is your friend, they will be there for you, and that is a core tenet of their Order—to be there when they are needed. Another key attribute is their ability to take a difficult situation with few resources and make something better of it. Though not known as inventors or creators, they are good at improvising solutions to problems in the moment.

I bolded the parts that I thought were particularly applicable to Adolin, and underlined the parts that don't fit that well. Some parts fit quite well, and others not so much. Adolin's ambition of dueling shows a solo streak, not teamwork, but the prowess, athleticism, and competition are right in line. I don't know of him ever taking on tasks, or enormous projects, so that goes against him. We're seeing him as a friend, and that's clearly what you've picked up on.

Let's do the same for Edgedancer:

Edgedancer oaths are themed around remembering the ordinary people of the world—those who aren’t powerful generals or Radiants. Too often, the actions of the powerful have terrible effects on the people with no voice, and the Edgedancers consider it their solemn duty to remember that the people are the ones they truly serve.

The Edgedancers are known as being caring and graceful. Among the Knights Radiant, they see it as their duty to care for the people and are often less interested in war than they are about trying to improve the daily lives of the common folk. Often, a mid-sized town would have an Edgedancer or two on permanent assignment, where they’d use Regrowth to provide healing and would work for the common good of the town.

Edgedancers tend to be among the more religious of Radiants and are the Order where you’re most likely to find former religious leaders who end up bonding a spren. During wartime, they often act as the mobile medics, eschewing actual combat to heal or pull out the wounded or those trapped in terrible situations. However, there are some renowned for their graceful and skilled prowess in combat, occasionally used as scouts or special forces troops in conjunction with a team of Windrunners or Skybreakers. One should never assume the Edgedancers are in any way base just because they often ignore high society; they are renowned as some of the most refined and graceful of Radiants.

There are a few things, but not as much lends itself to Edgedancers, when compared to Stonewards.

I had a similar thought about Navani. Everyone seems to think she's going to bond the Sibling, which is a good guess, and there are reasons to think she will. But man, just read the Truthwatcher description and tell me it doesn't describe Navani to a T:

Truthwatcher oaths are themed around seeking to find ultimate truth and sharing it. They are very concerned with knowledge and the proper exploitation of it. Note that this should not be confused with the Lightweavers, whose oaths are themed toward personal truths about themselves, said for reasons of self-actualization. Truthwatchers are more concerned with the fundamental truths of the universe, and whether or not those in power are being truthful with the people they lead.

The Truthwatchers are seen as quiet, largely known as the most scholarly Order of Knights Radiant. They tend to attract scientists primarily, but also scholars or thinkers of all types. This extends to some who might not normally be known as scholarly but instead as someone often consumed by their own thoughts. In general, they tend to be reserved, particularly in person, though a small minority of Truthwatchers are greatly concerned with the actions of the powerful and might be likened to investigative reporters. These make their opinions known loudly and forcefully, particularly if they think someone in power is abusing that power or lying about fundamental truths. Note that, as with all Knights Radiant, there is great disagreement within the Order about what is the truth. However, Truthwatchers tend to approach these discussions with enthusiasm, even if they generally prefer to write their opinions rather than speak them. Among the Knights Radiant, the Truthwatchers tend to be those who hold the knowledge and secrets of Surgebinding and are the ones to discover many of the newer advances in things like fabrial technology.

I think her examination of fabrials is likely to draw a Truthwatcher spren.

I'm with you in one way, at least: I don't think Maya will be willing to bond Adolin, unless it's the only way to revive her in any capacity. 

1 hour ago, Rainier said:

I bolded the parts that I thought were particularly applicable to Adolin, and underlined the parts that don't fit that well. Some parts fit quite well, and others not so much. Adolin's ambition of dueling shows a solo streak, not teamwork, but the prowess, athleticism, and competition are right in line. I don't know of him ever taking on tasks, or enormous projects, so that goes against him. We're seeing him as a friend, and that's clearly what you've picked up on.

Let's do the same for Edgedancer:

There are a few things, but not as much lends itself to Edgedancers, when compared to Stonewards.

I had a similar thought about Navani. Everyone seems to think she's going to bond the Sibling, which is a good guess, and there are reasons to think she will. But man, just read the Truthwatcher description and tell me it doesn't describe Navani to a T:

I think her examination of fabrials is likely to draw a Truthwatcher spren.

I'm with you in one way, at least: I don't think Maya will be willing to bond Adolin, unless it's the only way to revive her in any capacity. 

Thanks for the fantastic addition to my post.  Since Renarin is already a Truthwatcher and he is being set up to play a big role in the book, and we already have Dalinar as a bond smith, I imagine that Navanii will be a Dustbringer.  She fits the description.  It is my assumption that each of Sanderson's books will feature someone from a different order of Knights Radiance.  10 books,10 main characters (who are featured), 10 Orders of knights explored. But we will see.

I've said this before, but fitting the description well doesn't necessarily mean that a character will be a member of a particular order. The descriptions in the blog post are very general, and meant to give a basic idea of the ideals, duties and attitudes of the different orders, but in no way represent every member of any particular order. At the same time any one person could fit well into several orders, because people can't be neatly fit into different boxes.

Take Sigzil for example, as a Worldsinger he explored and learned from various cultures across Roshar, although he can handle a spear his true talents lie in his mental and organizational skills, which is why he served as Bridge 4's clerk. He'd probably make a decent Willshaper or Truthwatcher, but he became a Windrunner due to his proximity to honorspren as a squire of Kaladin. In the end the order someone joins is more due to whichever spren finds them first rather than which is the "best fit", and spren can find people for seemingly any reason. Adolin will most likely be an Edgedancer because he's already mostly bonded to Maya, and we already know she likes him to some degree. We don't even know if there are any peakspren willing to bond humans at this point in time.

As I’ve been reading the preview chapters and seeing the powers of being radiant balanced with the “side effects” of being radiant I have been grateful that Adolin seems grounded in normalcy. I truly hope that he does not become radiant and does not have to deal with the negative side of holding those radiant powers. We need someone to helps out those radiants when they become depressed, or can’t remember who they are. 

8 hours ago, JoyBlu said:

As I’ve been reading the preview chapters and seeing the powers of being radiant balanced with the “side effects” of being radiant I have been grateful that Adolin seems grounded in normalcy. I truly hope that he does not become radiant and does not have to deal with the negative side of holding those radiant powers. We need someone to helps out those radiants when they become depressed, or can’t remember who they are. 

Yeah . Exactly. 

8 hours ago, JoyBlu said:

We need someone to helps out those radiants when they become depressed, or can’t remember who they are. 

So we need someone who will:

1. Remember those who are forgotten.

2. Listen those who are ignored.

Adolin is storming Highprince, and he remember every soldier and every peasant.

9 hours ago, JoyBlu said:

Those aren't the result of having radiant abilities, Kaladin's depression and Shallan's DID are just part of their personalities. It would be an issue regardless of whether or not they bonded spren.

20 hours ago, Dark_Sun77 said:

It is my assumption that each of Sanderson's books will feature someone from a different order of Knights Radiance.  10 books,10 main characters (who are featured), 10 Orders of knights explored. But we will see.

I agree with this, but Navani isn't going to be one of those ten, regardless of if she's a Bonsmith, a Truthwatcher, or she never gets a spren at all. She's simply not one of those ten.

The front five are, in order: Kaladin (Windrunner), Shallan (Lightweaver), Dalinar (Bondsmith), Venli (Willshaper), Szeth (Skybreaker)

The back five are: Jasnah (Elsecaller), Renarin (Truthwatcher), Lift (Edgedancer), Taln (Stoneward), Shalash (Dustbringer)

There's plenty of speculation on Shalash as Dustbringer, mainly the fact that she goes around destroying all images of herself, but she's confirmed one of the ten, and Dustbringer is the only one without an obvious answer. So no Navani, and regardless of whether she bonds a spren, she's not going to be counting towards the Ten backstory characters.

5 hours ago, LuckyJim said:

Kaladin's depression and Shallan's DID are just part of their personalities

I wouldn't confuse the trauma someone suffers with their personality. Strength before weakness, after all.

39 minutes ago, Rainier said:

I wouldn't confuse the trauma someone suffers with their personality. Strength before weakness, after all.

Depression is part of Kaladin's personality.

Leinton (paraphrased)

So for Kaladin's depression and Stormlight's healing abilities, does Kaladin remain depressed because of his view of himself, or is it a limitation of Stormlight's abilities to heal, or something else?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Disorders like depression are a part of a person's personality, and thus aren't diseases and cannot be cured. He talked a lot about this, and he talked about how a hyper kid annoys people but that doesn't mean there's something wrong.

Firefight San Diego signing (Jan. 20, 2015)

Adolin just doesn't strike me as a Stoneward, especially from what we know of Taln who I think is meant to be the complete encapsulation of an ideal Stoneward.

Taln is resolute, stubborn to a fault, and stands up for what he thinks is right even when the costs to himself are extreme.

Adolin (especially early on) is not like that.  He's portrayed as the guy who is friendly and liked by everyone, but unable to make real and deep connections with anyone.  He is introduced as kind of a flake - one of the first things we learn about him is that he's unfaithful to the current woman he is trying to court.  He definitely grows as a person throughout the series and he does have his moments of being more Stonewardlike such as the time he imprisons himself in solidarity with Kaladin.  But I think the intent of the Knights Radiant is that generally your order reflects something deeply inherent in who you are as a person.  For example, Kaladin always wanted to protect people throughout his life.  It wasn't a learned behavior in the year leading up to him becoming a Windrunner.

All that said, the Stoneward description from the official personality test thing does match Adolin surprisingly well.  At least, it matches the Adolin we're seeing in early RoW.  Adolin is not really like Taln, but maybe not every Stoneward has to be.

On 10/10/2020 at 1:42 PM, Nameless said:

Depression is part of Kaladin's personality.

This is one of those tautologies that's meaningless. Of course it's part of his personality. Kaladin suffers from depression, and he also suffers from PTSD, and he also suffers from a savior complex. These are aspects of his character, and necessarily part of his personality. That's what personality is in the first place: an aggregation of characteristics and traits.

What Brandon was saying in that quote is simply that Stormlight isn't going to cure PTSD, because one of the things Brandon is trying to do, with Kaladin and Shallan specifically, is to deal with the consequences of the trauma realistically. To have no flaws, or flaws healed by Stormlight, is cheap and unsatisfying. So Kaladin suffers as you or I would suffer had we charged the Parshendi lines too many times to count, and dragged some people through it but lose others. So Shallan suffers as you or I might suffer had we been abused so terribly as a child, and killed both our parents in different circumstances. Stormlight isn't going to just heal that away like it would a flesh wound.

But if you think Kaladin's depression is anything other than a weakness, like the kind from the first Oath, then I'd like to hear why. For me, watching Kaladin succumb to PTSD is realistic, but it's also contradictory to the first oath: it's weakness before strength. I believe the same can be said for Shallan indulging her multiple personalities and refusing to acknowledge her past or recall the memories she's willfully and constantly suppressed. These are the weaknesses that our characters cannot let come before their strengths, and while the story demands our characters have these weaknesses, we should not root for our characters to succumb to them. Kaladin could break his oath with Syl by languishing in his own mind as easily as he did by making contradictory commitments, and Shallan is trying her damnedest to kill Pattern by refusing all opportunities to gain self-awareness.

Look at one other Radiants with this in mind and you can see the shapes their arcs will take. Szeth's weakness has been his complete submission of his own conscience, deferring to his customs and/or law. Nale has told us what the Fifth Oath entails: Becoming Justice Personified. Szeth isn't going to get there by doubling down on his weakness. He's not going to reach fifth level by blindly following Dalinar, he has to make those judgements himself, and learn to live with them. Strength. Stormlight isn't going to just banish the voices he hears, he needs to find a way to live on his own, and that will allow him to fulfill the fifth ideal.

Lift next. Her weakness is her immaturity and selfishness, which is what originally brought her to Cultivation. "When all else is changing, I want to still be me," she asked, trying to never grow old. Her progression as a character, and as an Edgedancer, has been putting that desire to look out for others. Her selfishness is part of her personality, and isn't just going to be cured by Stormlight. Neither will her stubborn independence, which I expect to see used to get her in trouble when we get more of her later.

Rolling back to Adolin, and his potential Radiancy, we come across a problem: he's flawless, and thus has no weakness to overcome. Adolin suffers from a lack of weaknesses for his strengths to be put before.

13 minutes ago, Rainier said:

This is one of those tautologies that's meaningless. Of course it's part of his personality. Kaladin suffers from depression, and he also suffers from PTSD, and he also suffers from a savior complex. These are aspects of his character, and necessarily part of his personality. That's what personality is in the first place: an aggregation of characteristics and traits.

What Brandon was saying in that quote is simply that Stormlight isn't going to cure PTSD, because one of the things Brandon is trying to do, with Kaladin and Shallan specifically, is to deal with the consequences of the trauma realistically. To have no flaws, or flaws healed by Stormlight, is cheap and unsatisfying. So Kaladin suffers as you or I would suffer had we charged the Parshendi lines too many times to count, and dragged some people through it but lose others. So Shallan suffers as you or I might suffer had we been abused so terribly as a child, and killed both our parents in different circumstances. Stormlight isn't going to just heal that away like it would a flesh wound.

But if you think Kaladin's depression is anything other than a weakness, like the kind from the first Oath, then I'd like to hear why. For me, watching Kaladin succumb to PTSD is realistic, but it's also contradictory to the first oath: it's weakness before strength. I believe the same can be said for Shallan indulging her multiple personalities and refusing to acknowledge her past or recall the memories she's willfully and constantly suppressed. These are the weaknesses that our characters cannot let come before their strengths, and while the story demands our characters have these weaknesses, we should not root for our characters to succumb to them. Kaladin could break his oath with Syl by languishing in his own mind as easily as he did by making contradictory commitments, and Shallan is trying her damnedest to kill Pattern by refusing all opportunities to gain self-awareness.

Oh the terror of typing a single sentence and then seeing someone respond with a wall of text. 

When I said that depression is part of Kaladin's personality, I don't mean him succumbing to it is. I'm saying that Kaladin has chemical depression:

Questioner

I'm curious about Kaladin. Did you write Kaladin as having depression? It never distinctly says it.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he has depression. I purposefully didn't distinctly say it, because it's not like they can diagnose in their culture. But yes, Kaladin has depression. Straight-up depression. And it's not even... Like, there's PTSD stuff in the third book, but that's not the cause of it. He just has chemical depression. Even going back to when he was a teenager. And it's not like the story is... In some ways, it's about him overcoming it, but it's not about it going away. It's about a hero who lives with depression.

Questioner

And I personally, I have depression, so I relate with Kaladin so much when I read it. So I just think it's really cool ,that... Most people don't write about heroes that have depression.

Brandon Sanderson

I wanted to do it, in part, because I have some dear loved ones that... You know, this is just part of their everyday life. It was something I just didn't see being touched upon. And I remember my wife talking about it and saying, "It's kind of frustrating to read a book about someone with depression because that's the only thing about them. Books, they're like, problem novels. Can't I just read a book about somebody who has depression?" So, she was a big help.

That bolded sentence there is a huge one. Kaladin's depression won't ever be cured. that doesn't mean that he will succumb to it, but even when he reaches the fifth ideal, he will still have depression. He will have conquered it, he won't succumb to it, but it will be with him until he passes on to the Beyond.

The discussion on personality and mental illness could easily become a tangent that overwhelms the thread, so I'd recommend we cut it off here.

Mental illness is a very complicated topic, and it's difficult to discuss in a healthy, non-stigmatizing way. We could talk for hours about this, and it would probably be worthwhile since there could be a lot to learn here, but it would probably be best to leave it out of this particular thread so we don't derail the original topic.

Edited by LuckyJim

14 hours ago, Rainier said:

Rolling back to Adolin, and his potential Radiancy, we come across a problem: he's flawless, and thus has no weakness to overcome. Adolin suffers from a lack of weaknesses for his strengths to be put before.

I think in terms of Adolin he does have a few flaws.  His character is treated different from the others since he's more of a "secondary" character who doesn't get his own dedicated flashback book, but I think he still does have some key character flaws.

1) Set in his ways/Traditionalist: He is shown continually throughout the series to value the status quo and traditional Alethi values, which gets him into trouble numerous times.  Early on in WoK and WoR, he wants to stick to the hotheaded and overly confrontational Alethi values.  Whenever a problem comes up, he thinks that fighting is the best solution.  Dalinar has to hold him back from provoking duels with Sadeas that would have destroyed the Alethi political alliance.

2) Flakey/Shallow: Up until his relationship with Shallan deepens in OB, he's generally shown as a guy who is pretty flakey.  All his friends other than his own family know they can't really depend on him.  He goes through girlfriends faster than one a week.  He's well liked by people who don't know him very well because he's friendly and likable, but he's not the kind of guy who you call on when the chips are down.  He kind of overcomes this a bit through WoR and OB as he develops more sincere relationships with both Shallan and Kaladin.  But he's still the guy even in early RoW that wants to be seen as everybody's friend, even if those friendships are mostly for show.

3) Morally Questionable: Killing Sadeas, is a topic that is a hot debate on these boards, but in world would be considered murder.  He chose to break the law and his family's moral codes to protect his family.  He himself is shown to question that decision in the early RoW chapters we've seen.  His choice to kill Sadeas also seems to be a bad moral influence on Shallan as she seeks to find her identity.  I think at her core, she feels it's wrong to assassinate someone the way Sadeas was killed, but because it's something her husband did she also has parts of her that feel she has to justify it.  The darker parts of her think it's OK to murder people in an ends justify the means type of logic and those darker parts are reinforced because of what Adolin did.

As a secondary character, we don't get to learn as much about his internal strife as the others.  I think his character's narrative purpose is to give us an outside perspective of Shallan, Kaladin, and Dalinar so he doesn't get a lot of time to focus on himself during his POVs.  But I think his flaws are still there.

3 hours ago, agrabes said:

I think his character's narrative purpose is to give us an outside perspective of Shallan, Kaladin, and Dalinar so he doesn't get a lot of time to focus on himself during his POVs.

Yes, exactly, which is another reason why I don't expect him to become a Radiant. It would take too much time and attention away from our main characters. I think his journey with Maya is not for his own benefit, but to foreshadow what will need to be done with the Sibling, but I'm expecting him to die, since he's a character we're emotionally Invested in whose death wouldn't derail the story being told.

3 hours ago, agrabes said:

But I think his flaws are still there.

I think back to their journey through Shadesmar. Kaladin, having failed Elhokar, failed Kholinar, and failed to protect anything he tried to, desperately strives to protect Dalinar, and at the moment of should be triumph, cannot speak his next oath. Shallan, losing herself in other personalities and barely holding herself together, with help from Hoid, navigates them through Shadesmar but fails to take them through the Oathgate, stranding them in Shadesmar. Adolin, deprived of his wardrobe, is forced into tailoring his own clothes from scraps he could procure from the spren.

One of these things is not like the other.

1 hour ago, Rainier said:

I think back to their journey through Shadesmar. Kaladin, having failed Elhokar, failed Kholinar, and failed to protect anything he tried to, desperately strives to protect Dalinar, and at the moment of should be triumph, cannot speak his next oath. Shallan, losing herself in other personalities and barely holding herself together, with help from Hoid, navigates them through Shadesmar but fails to take them through the Oathgate, stranding them in Shadesmar. Adolin, deprived of his wardrobe, is forced into tailoring his own clothes from scraps he could procure from the spren.

He also has to deal with the fact that he's now next in line to be king, while knowing that he's not fit for that role. His concerns that he doesn't measure up to his father, the world is changing around him and he isn't as impressive as he used to be, and he assassinated a man and doesn't really feel bad about it.

When trying to get through the Oathgate, he's powerless to do anything against the Fused that guard the gate and he nearly dies.

Edited by LuckyJim

On 10/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, Dark_Sun77 said:

As I have not keep up with the forums, I apologize if another has already suggested this theory.

Theory: If Adolin becomes an order of Knights Radiance I believe he will become a Stoneward.  Read the description.  He absolutely fits the description.   

Thoughts? Countertheories?

He definelty is a viable canidate for the Stonewards, but he is also one for the Edgedancers.  Given his relationship with Maya though I defeintly think he would go Edgedancer, even if he matches the Stonewards a bit more neatly.

2 hours ago, Rainier said:

Yes, exactly, which is another reason why I don't expect him to become a Radiant. It would take too much time and attention away from our main characters. I think his journey with Maya is not for his own benefit, but to foreshadow what will need to be done with the Sibling, but I'm expecting him to die, since he's a character we're emotionally Invested in whose death wouldn't derail the story being told.

Very true - Adolin has definitely not faced challenges or shown flaws on the same level as Kaladin, Shallan, or Dalinar.  Or the other main front five characters of Szeth and Venli.   But when it comes to being a Radiant I also think of Teft, or Lopen, or several others.  They don't have to go through the same kind of deep tragedies that Kaladin and Shallan do, but are still able to become Radiants.  

Yeah, becoming radiant isn't a major milestone in the books anymore. People with way less on-screen character development than Adolin have become Radiant (in fact, so many that we don't even know all their names, like all the nameless edgedancers).

I think the POV that Adolin has no flaws and is boring is mostly due to the fact that he's a secondary character and isn't being developed as much as the protagonists. Which makes sense! He's not a main character, he's a supporting one. The books are big enough as it is, and if Adolin were given the same screentime as Kaladin they'd be way too big.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:34 AM, Bzhydack said:

So we need someone who will:

1. Remember those who are forgotten.

2. Listen those who are ignored.

Adolin is storming Highprince, and he remember every soldier and every peasant.

Very true! I just love this. Adolin totally does those things. Maybe he doesn’t need to be a Radiant because he is already that good! He doesn’t need to work on that. Please just let him stay normal. 

I still think that there are costs (other than use of storm light) associated with radiancy that we don’t understand yet. The fused degenerate each time they are reborn. There is likely something similar with Spren bonds and use of Stormlight. 

spoilers for Mistborn & Warbreaker

Spoiler

In Mistborn Spook had to cover his eyes because he burned too much metal. In Warbreaker the color drains when breath is used. You still need breath but there is another side effect. 

I believe that there is a physical effect on the radiants that we don’t fully understand yet. Something that happens when Stormlight isn’t actively being sucked in. Perhaps it has something to do with addiction. Perhaps it’s something to do with the number or proximity to squires.  Perhaps it is coordinated with what ideal the radiant has reached (similar to a heightening). It could be something as simple as the type of gemstone the radiant last accessed Stormlight through. It could be about a trait of the bonded Spren. So many possibilities of what it could be — but I do believe there is something. And if Adolin can be free of that side effect (whatever it is) then he will be able to listen, remember, and strengthen those poor radiants around him. (Which I think they are going to need). 

On 10/9/2020 at 3:40 PM, Rainier said:

they see it as their duty to care for the people and are often less interested in war

I think somewhere it was said that adolin doesn't actually enjoy war, or fighting for the kill in general. adolin likes dueling, and unless completely necessary dosent really like killing and he does care about people he just also is kind of uninformed about how darkeyes are treated because he hasnt known anything besides bieng in the highest class. (I would love to see adolin having to disguise himself as poverty for a extended time or even something like what vivena went through in warbreaker.)

sadeas was definitely an outlier though

i still do belive that adolin wouldnt fit with the edgedancers but would enjoy seeng him trying to figure out sliding around.

Edited by EggArdent