Making a setting 01 - getting started - [POLL CLOSED]

Ixthos

Links to other topics in this series.

[POLL CLOSED] 

RESULTS:

5f8721f95aeee_Makingasetting012.thumb.png.23ae6fc40c9783b53494c0e2090b7344.png

Hi everyone :-)

As I've mentioned before I am working on a multiverse (sort of - multiverse isn't the right term) and I have several stories I'm working on. Some of these are focused on single parts of the setting that are isolated from one another, others about the communities that are mapping and interacting with parts of the setting AND one another, and some are a mixture. A big thing I would really like to do is eventually have those distant settings interacting with the communities later on, so making all the stories part of the third type.

(I like magic systems, but my main interest is alien aliens and cultures, and their relations to the cosmic organisms that are fundamental to the system.)

This is about making a setting that is mainly isolated from the others, self contained except for possible parts of its background and future. This may or may not end up as one of the settings visited in later stories, and even if it does so it probably will be heavily changed as all of the settings I have been working on since 2003 have been changed a lot subsequently. However, this could be fun, and a chance to show how I go about building settings for my main setting, and go about making aliens - more on that later.

As part of my settings certain things will be applied - such as the rules for a dream world - but I will only mention them where relevant. I will also try to make it different from my other settings. Variety is a most fascinating spice.

So, how would I like this to work? This topic is mainly about getting the initial seed for the setting to work on, and providing links to the other topics I hope to make. I have included a poll here, please vote on what you would like to see, or ask any clarifying questions you would like, and when ready I will make a new topic summarising the details for these parts, add its link to this post, and continue from there, building off of the suggestions provided.

Of course, if no-one votes or makes any suggestions I will just pick at random later and continue as normal :-P

The main seed right now: the type of setting and the planet.

God willing this will be well.

God bless

Edited by Ixthos
Added links

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

So so far we have for type of setting we have low fantasy and soft science fiction for world we have single world solar system so single world in a solar system in a nanoscale world and for story type we have quest and politics focus and because of the rule of story there will be romance

9 hours ago, Condensation said:

Aw, I was the only one who voted for Relationship Focus! :)

It looks like Somebody from Sel heard your plea :-P It won't be a major plot, but I have an idea, involving one of the contemporary part of the setting's inhabitants, and a warrior from the more fantasy-side part - mostly will be hints, rather than anything concrete, but well see how that goes.

6 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

So so far we have for type of setting we have low fantasy and soft science fiction for world we have single world solar system so single world in a solar system in a nanoscale world and for story type we have quest and politics focus and because of the rule of story there will be romance

Yup :-) it might seem like an eclectic combo, but I have a pretty solid idea for how to work all those elements together. I want to wait until early next week to see if any more votes will come in to change the percentages, but I already know how to work all these elements together. To give a brief hint: the nanoscale setting will combine with most of the high fantasy and soft science fiction to be an alien civilisation with a single city shared across multiple worlds, the heart of civilisation in many beings minds, a city the size of a coin spread across worlds, culturally what all civilisations should be even if they can't directly visit that single multiple planet-spanning city in their own bodies due to it being designed for nanoscale beings.

I don't want to get into too much more detail right now, but the main idea with the emphasis on a quest plot and a slightly less important politics plot, and a contemporary setting being a minor element, would be the contemporary world starting to exploit discoveries while keeping them secret from most other parts of the contemporary world, and the debat as to how to handle this by those worlds which are already enmeshed in the multiple-planetary setting.

(Also, no FTL for humans, all are confined to that solar system - and most in the darker, colder parts, but the nanoscale civilisation can make use of teleporters for their own city, but only their own city.)

Edited by Ixthos
your, not you

3 hours ago, Ixthos said:

It looks like Somebody from Sel heard your plea :-P It won't be a major plot, but I have an idea, involving one of the contemporary part of the setting's inhabitants, and a warrior from the more fantasy-side part - mostly will be hints, rather than anything concrete, but well see how that goes.

Yup :-) it might seem like an eclectic combo, but I have a pretty solid idea for how to work all those elements together. I want to wait until early next week to see if any more votes will come in to change the percentages, but I already know how to work all these elements together. To give a brief hint: the nanoscale setting will combine with most of the high fantasy and soft science fiction to be an alien civilisation with a single city shared across multiple worlds, the heart of civilisation in many beings minds, a city the size of a coin spread across worlds, culturally what all civilisations should be even if they can't directly visit that single multiple planet-spanning city in their own bodies due to it being designed for nanoscale beings.

I don't want to get into too much more detail right now, but the main idea with the emphasis on a quest plot and a slightly less important politics plot, and a contemporary setting being a minor element, would be the contemporary world starting to exploit discoveries while keeping them secret from most other parts of the contemporary world, and the debat as to how to handle this by those worlds which are already enmeshed in the multiple-planetary setting.

(Also, no FTL for humans, all are confined to that solar system - and most in the darker, colder parts, but the nanoscale civilisation can make use of teleporters for their own city, but only their own city.)

That sounds awesome!

It looks like the percentages have settled, so I'm going to go with these:

5f82d0ae4e0b5_Makingasetting01.thumb.png.0d065c73b638c4bb36b1611b9f4d37a8.png

This indicates ~52% fantasy, 41% science fiction, ~7% contemporary, so most of the setting will have a fantasy flair, but with technology strongly interwoven into it, and the planet mostly like Earth as a major element, mainly visiting the parts that know about the nature of the solar system's other groups. The plot will mostly be on the unaware planet - so most of the story will be set on the mostly unaware planet, with about equal amounts of attention as is given to that planet shared with all the other, the nanoscale heart likewise visited but less focused on directly than the rest. Indeed, the quest elements and low fantasy parts will be focused mainly on the unaware planet, and the politics plot will be mostly covered in the human cities near the nanotech civilisation, the mystery woven into all the plots, tying them together even as the politics plot will be about the need for the quest, and the interplay between a local from the unaware planet and one of the sellswords will cover the romance and relationship part.

I'll be adding the preliminary worldbuilding topic later, with a few additional options for voting on - next step: aliens, magic, and a few of the cultures.

Edited by Ixthos

8 hours ago, Ixthos said:

It looks like the percentages have settled, so I'm going to go with these:

5f82d0ae4e0b5_Makingasetting01.thumb.png.0d065c73b638c4bb36b1611b9f4d37a8.png

This indicates ~52% fantasy, 41% science fiction, ~7% contemporary, so most of the setting will have a fantasy flair, but with technology strongly interwoven into it, and the planet mostly like Earth as a major element, mainly visiting the parts that know about the nature of the solar system's other groups. The plot will mostly be on the unaware planet - so most of the story will be set on the mostly unaware planet, with about equal amounts of attention as is given to that planet shared with all the other, the nanoscale heart likewise visited but less focused on directly than the rest. Indeed, the quest elements and low fantasy parts will be focused mainly on the unaware planet, and the politics plot will be mostly covered in the human cities near the nanotech civilisation, the mystery woven into all the plots, tying them together even as the politics plot will be about the need for the quest, and the interplay between a local from the unaware planet and one of the sellswords will cover the romance and relationship part.

I'll be adding the preliminary worldbuilding topic later, with a few additional options for voting on - next step: aliens, magic, and a few of the cultures.

Wait don't forget my sweet baby artificial

Maybe change the title to 102 or part 2 to represent the next step?

14 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Wait don't forget my sweet baby artificial

Maybe change the title to 102 or part 2 to represent the next step?

I haven't - artificial is very important, mainly tied to the nanoscale city and at least one moon. More on that in the next one.

I'm planning on making a second post to cover the next stage, as I don't know if changing the poll will prevent people from voting again. I will link to the new topic when I've made it though.

7 hours ago, Ixthos said:

I haven't - artificial is very important, mainly tied to the nanoscale city and at least one moon. More on that in the next one.

I'm planning on making a second post to cover the next stage, as I don't know if changing the poll will prevent people from voting again. I will link to the new topic when I've made it though.

Delete this poll save then add a new poll links are wonky

49 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Delete this poll save then add a new poll links are wonky

I can understand that approach, and it would eliminate the issue of people later voting on the poll once a new topic is made, but it would also likely cause confusion if someone saw something titled 02, and then couldn't find an 01. I'm also worried that deleting the poll wouldn't be enough to cause the system to allow others to vote again, and it might also cause confusion if they see they have already voted on something new. I appreciate the suggestion, but I feel making a new topic and then adding links to it would solve a lot of potential problems - I've done so in the past and didn't have issues with adding links to the site. If you like, I could tag you in the post, and anyone else who voted, so they know when the new topic is posted, if that is okay with everyone.

14 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

I can understand that approach, and it would eliminate the issue of people later voting on the poll once a new topic is made, but it would also likely cause confusion if someone saw something titled 02, and then couldn't find an 01. I'm also worried that deleting the poll wouldn't be enough to cause the system to allow others to vote again, and it might also cause confusion if they see they have already voted on something new. I appreciate the suggestion, but I feel making a new topic and then adding links to it would solve a lot of potential problems - I've done so in the past and didn't have issues with adding links to the site. If you like, I could tag you in the post, and anyone else who voted, so they know when the new topic is posted, if that is okay with everyone.

Ok I understand the reasoning but for future reference one of the mods told somebody that deleting saving then adding a new poll will reset it but I understand your issue just might wanna close the poll when you create the new one

30 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Ok I understand the reasoning but for future reference one of the mods told somebody that deleting saving then adding a new poll will reset it but I understand your issue just might wanna close the poll when you create the new one

Ahh! I didn't know that. Thank you :-) I will bare that in mind for the future :-)

8 minutes ago, Danex said:

This is like 1 vote away from just being Stormlight 

assuming you just take the top 2 of each category,

Hey it would save @Ixthos some work wouldn't it?

On 10/12/2020 at 11:21 PM, Danex said:

This is like 1 vote away from just being Stormlight 

assuming you just take the top 2 of each category,

I was thinking of it more as reversi star wars, but okay :-P

On 10/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, Somebody from Sel said:

Hey it would save @Ixthos some work wouldn't it?

:-P

[Edit] Rather than make a new topic I'm going to modify this bottom post to provide an update. It looks like several new votes came in after I last checked and so I have incorporated the new percentages into the setting, though that is requiring me to check to see how to better fit them in. I have now closed the poll, but hope to be adding three new topics soon with a new poll, each covering a different subsection for additional feedback. Once those have been completed I will be posting a non-poll post with the setting details, then a new topic for feedback on guiding the plot. Until then I hope you have a great day everyone! God bless!

Edited by Ixthos
Rather than making a new post I am repurposing the bottom one

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update to let you know that next week I am hoping to post an update :-P so next week expect to see the general framework of the story and setting, as well as a few "what could have been" settings and stories based on the options.

Hope your weekends go well!

On 10/30/2020 at 11:08 AM, Ixthos said:

Just a quick update to let you know that next week I am hoping to post an update :-P so next week expect to see the general framework of the story and setting, as well as a few "what could have been" settings and stories based on the options.

Hope your weekends go well!

Gimme polls gimme polls now also gimme more polls with more options

Oh and you can add more than one poll to a thread so you don't really need to make three wouldn't want the mods to get angry and put your content under consideration looking at the mods who did just that to Aspire