Okay, am I crazy?

Aspiring Writer

39 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Lol! Aren’t we all? Especially people who read as much of HOME as they can get ahold of...

I love the Shard so much, but true Tolkien fans can make us look like wimps. Learning two dialects of a functional con-Lang? Why not? 13 books of HOME, the Silm, the letters, the Children of Hurin? Sure! Oh and LotR and the Hobbit? Please, that’s the bare minimum for entry.

You only watched the movies.... Begone foul spawn of Moringotto! Be banished to the Void beside your dark master and his servant Sauron! (Or Thauron. Or Gorthaur, but that’s usually tagged onto the former. Used to be Mairon, but that was before. Also called himself Annatar for a bit. Yes, every Tolkien character has, like, ten names. Yes, of course I know them all offhand. I am a fan...)

Moringotto?

I've heard

Morgoth

Melkor

And

Melko

But that one is new to me.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Moringotto?

I've heard

Morgoth

Melkor

And

Melko

But that one is new to me.

Noldorin version of Morgoth. Morgoth is S(Th)indarin. I’ve also seen it spelled Moringotho. (Possibly a thorn issue.) Also Morikotto. Either Tolkien couldn’t decide on a translation, or Feanor came up with multiple variants.  Melkore (two dots over the e) is an older variant.

Also: Bauglir. And Belegur and Belegurth. The latter two are related but the first is not, despite the seeming similarities...

Oh, and Melkor should be spelled Melcor due to Tolkien deciding to eliminate the K near the end. All Cs are hard.

Did I mention we Tolkien fans are crazy? And that Tolkien’s characters have lots of names?

45 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Noldorin version of Morgoth. Morgoth is S(Th)indarin. I’ve also seen it spelled Moringotho. (Possibly a thorn issue.) Also Morikotto. Either Tolkien couldn’t decide on a translation, or Feanor came up with multiple variants.  Melkore (two dots over the e) is an older variant.

Also: Bauglir. And Belegur and Belegurth. The latter two are related but the first is not, despite the seeming similarities...

Oh, and Melkor should be spelled Melcor due to Tolkien deciding to eliminate the K near the end. All Cs are hard.

Did I mention we Tolkien fans are crazy? And that Tolkien’s characters have lots of names?

I'm here thinking I'm on the heavier end of the Tolkienian fandom, well, this is what I get for associating with uncultured swine.

Spoiler

In all reality my friends are cool.

Just now, Frustration said:

I'm here thinking I'm on the heavier end of the Tolkienian fandom, well, this is what I get for associating with uncultured swine.

Hide contents

In all reality my friends are cool.

Lol! There’s just so. Much. Stuff. Like, every time I think I’m getting somewhere... nope, there’s five more essays I haven’t seen or an interview I never heard of, or a random letter sent to a recently deceased colleague that’s JUST been discovered...

Well, he wanted to write a mythology, and so he did.

Which HOME book is your favorite? Also, which child of Finwe? Which Feanarion? Nolofinweon? Arafinweon? Grand-Finweon in general? Who do you think is Gil Galad’s father? How do you explain Gildor? Do you think Glorfindel is one of Finwe’s grandkids (via the girls?) Who is the best singer, Dairon, Macalaure, or Tinfang Gellion?

My answers: Lays of Beleriand; Nolo; Macalaure; Findecano or Itarille; Finderatto. Elrond and Elros (great-great-great grand-Finweons) and their dad Earendil, also Glorfindel (see below); Artaresto; Finderato adopted him; yes, through Lalwen; Macalaure, but Dairon is the better bard. Cano overpowers his instrument. Tinfang is the best musician. Dairon blends both aspects best. 

I don’t meet enough fellow Tolkien fans.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Lol! There’s just so. Much. Stuff. Like, every time I think I’m getting somewhere... nope, there’s five more essays I haven’t seen or an interview I never heard of, or a random letter sent to a recently deceased colleague that’s JUST been discovered...

Well, he wanted to write a mythology, and so he did.

Which HOME book is your favorite? Also, which child of Finwe? Which Feanarion? Nolofinweon? Arafinweon? Grand-Finweon in general? Who do you think is Gil Galad’s father? How do you explain Gildor? Do you think Glorfindel is one of Finwe’s grandkids (via the girls?) Who is the best singer, Dairon, Macalaure, or Tinfang Gellion?

My answers: Lays of Beleriand; Nolo; Macalaure; Findecano or Itarille; Finderatto. Elrond and Elros (great-great-great grand-Finweons) and their dad Earendil, also Glorfindel (see below); Artaresto; Finderato adopted him; yes, through Lalwen; Macalaure, but Dairon is the better bard. Cano overpowers his instrument. Tinfang is the best musician. Dairon blends both aspects best. 

I don’t meet enough fellow Tolkien fans.

HOME? I don't know the acronyms  sorry.

My favorite so far is The Silmarilion, nothing else compares, though I haven't read 'The adventures of Tom Bombadil, or The Complete Hisory of Middle Earth yet(I can't find them!) so that's it for now

Feanor, Meadhros, N/A N/A Gil-Galad's father? I don't remember, I had one but it's been almost a year, I do have more time now so I could do a Silmarilion re-read. Glofindel? maybe he is a Noldorian Lord though I never would have thought of that.  As for singer, I'm sorry but best music must go to Ulmo(My spelling sucks for English this must be butery) His music is described to never leave the ear once heard so I can't let anyone compete(Maybe that one dude(yes my memory sucks usually I only have to read a book once to memorize it,) who threw the Silmaril into the Sea.

6 minutes ago, Frustration said:

HOME? I don't know the acronyms  sorry.

My favorite so far is The Silmarilion, nothing else compares, though I haven't read 'The adventures of Tom Bombadil, or The Complete Hisory of Middle Earth yet(I can't find them!) so that's it for now

Feanor, Meadhros, N/A N/A Gil-Galad's father? I don't remember, I had one but it's been almost a year, I do have more time now so I could do a Silmarilion re-read. Glofindel? maybe he is a Noldorian Lord though I never would have thought of that.  As for singer, I'm sorry but best music must go to Ulmo(My spelling sucks for English this must be butery) His music is described to never leave the ear once heard so I can't let anyone compete(Maybe that one dude(yes my memory sucks usually I only have to read a book once to memorize it,) who threw the Silmaril into the Sea.

HOME is Histories of Middle Earth. There are thirteen of them. Getting ahold of Morgoth’s Ring was a pain, and I still don’t have all of them.

That dude is Maglor, lol. I meant elven singer from the Lay of Leithian. That’s why I named those three. Dairon is said to be the best of the three... but he may also have written the lay...

You don’t have a favorite Arafinweon or Nolofinweon? Glorfindel is a Noldorin lord who has golden-blond hair, something only Indis’ descendants were said to had. Hence the ‘he’s Lalwen or Findis’’ opinion.

Gildor names himself Gildor Inglorion in LotR. Inglor was Finrod. He’s not Finrod’s kid. So who is he?

Gil Galad has two state’s fathers: Findecano (Fingon) and Artaresto (Orodreth.) The latter is generally held to be more accurate and Chris admitted he made a mistake in the published Silm. However, Tolkien also considered the possibility that Gil Galad was a grandson of Feanor... 

Do you think Feanor killed Amrod? Do you prefer round world or flat world cosmology? Favorite name for the moon? The sun?

Yes;Round (I know, I’m weird); Phanaikeluth; Atharaigas (the Valarin names are the most accurate.)

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

HOME is Histories of Middle Earth. There are thirteen of them. Getting ahold of Morgoth’s Ring was a pain, and I still don’t have all of them.

Vol. 1 is what's giving me pain, My library has 2 & 3 but I'm not willing to read them out of order

2 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

That dude is Maglor, lol. I meant elven singer from the Lay of Leithian. That’s why I named those three. Dairon is said to be the best of the three... but he may also have written the lay...

You mean the Lay of Luthien? I haven't read that so point to you.

3 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

You don’t have a favorite Arafinweon or Nolofinweon? Glorfindel is a Noldorin lord who has golden-blond hair, something only Indis’ descendants were said to had. Hence the ‘he’s Lalwen or Findis’’ opinion.

I don't really get favorite characters unless they do something worthwhile, Feanor is the only one of his line(besides Celebrinbor & Meadhros) who I care for. 

5 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Gildor names himself Gildor Inglorion in LotR. Inglor was Finrod. He’s not Finrod’s kid. So who is he?

A member of Finrods clan would be my best bet, or maybe adapted into it.

6 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Gil Galad has two state’s fathers: Findecano (Fingon) and Artaresto (Orodreth.) The latter is generally held to be more accurate and Chris admitted he made a mistake in the published Silm. However, Tolkien also considered the possibility that Gil Galad was a grandson of Feanor...

Orodreth, that's it, that's the one I liked, thanks

7 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Do you think Feanor killed Amrod? Do you prefer round world or flat world cosmology? Favorite name for the moon? The sun?

Yes;Round (I know, I’m weird); Phanaikeluth; Atharaigas (the Valarin names are the most accurate.)

No, Well it was flat and then became round in he Downfall of Numenor, Tel---(What's his name... the Maia who took it up was cool, though I prefer the Lamps.) Temparion was the tree though, right?

Alright my turn for a question

Do You think that the Arkenstone was Meadhros's Silmaril?

No, it’s not. Tolkien said so. Also, Cano didn’t slaughter the dwarves for it, which is a pretty good indication.

HOME can be read in any order. Thankfully. Morgoth’s Ring is one of my favorites, after the Lays.

Lay of Leithian. Which is the story of Beren and Luthien. Yes, it’s confusing. It means Release from Bondage, supposedly.

Fingolfin fights Morgoth 1on1, and permanently wounded him, which I thought pretty awesome. And you really feel Elrond, Elros and Earendil did nothing? What about Aragorn? (I refuse to even TRY counting the greats, but he counts!) Also, Fingon did rescue Maedhros. And Galadriel did plenty!

Telperion was the tree. Phanaikeluth translates to mirror (essentially) which is pretty accurate! Round world is that the world was always round, and the flat world is a myth.

Why do you think Feanor did not kill Amrod? (Aside from not having read the Shibboleth?)

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

2 hours ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I always imagined it as a bluish green color. Similar to oxidized copper, but more blue and a little shinier. And lerasium I imagined looking kind of like lead. Don't know how it started, but I'll always imagine atium as bluish green.

Flip reverse those for me. Huh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 7:06 PM, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I always imagined it as a bluish green color. Similar to oxidized copper, but more blue and a little shinier. And lerasium I imagined looking kind of like lead. Don't know how it started, but I'll always imagine atium as bluish green.

1 hour ago, HipsterStick said:

Holy cow, same! For me, Atium has always been a darker metal- but it has a certain unnatural sheen/iridescence about it as well. Kind of like an oil spill? I suppose?

And Lerasium is green. Full stop. 

Atium for me was silver. Lerasium? Also silver. But...different? I dunno how, but they be different silvers okay?

On 10/7/2020 at 0:10 AM, Aspiring Writer said:

Okay, I just need to see if I'm the only one who had this thought or knows why I have this thought. For some reason, during my reading of Mistborn Era 1, in my head, I started seeing Atium as orange rather than silver. This ended up carrying to when I thought of Ruin, orange was always in the back of my mind. And the odd thing is, I think I saw Atium is silver at first, then something changed that image in my head and I don't know what or why. Am I the only one? Has anyone else fallen to this or something similar, or is it just me?

I mean, I pictured atium as gold, but that's (probably) because I'm a synesthete and the letter A looks yellow to me.

45 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

What does this mean? I am unfamiliar with this word.

It's when you've got extra neural connections between your senses, so you might see music or smell colors or whatever. I have a fairly common type where I have specific colors for letters and numbers. 

12 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

It's when you've got extra neural connections between your senses, so you might see music or smell colors or whatever. I have a fairly common type where I have specific colors for letters and numbers. 

That's a thing? Like, I'm pretty sure i have it to, but there's a word for it?

1 hour ago, Necessary Eagle said:

I mean, I pictured atium as gold, but that's (probably) because I'm a synesthete and the letter A looks yellow to me.

A fellow synesthete! I ‘see’ certain emotions and sensations as colors. I can ‘hear’ some of them too. Hear is really the wrong word though. It’s more ‘I feel sonic vibrations’? (Or maybe I’m a human who can attune to the Rhythms?) Kind of wish I could turn the sound? off now though; I’m stressed, so I keep feeling a rapid beat, like someone has their bass turned up too high.

Other perceptions tend to vary; certain musical pieces cause me to ‘feel’ different sensations and I can ‘hear’ some visual stimuli. I also ‘feel’ temperature changes when I experience strong emotions. Only the first two are consistent though.

It also seems like my synesthesia has gotten weaker as I got older. But that may just be my perception, or I’ve gotten better at ignoring it.