Surge of Transformation

Niser Resin

It seems as if there are physical and spiritual aspects to each surge. The most obvious place we see this is in the surge of Adhesion, which we have seen both Kaladin and Dalinar employ in full lashings, but we have also seen Dalinar use it to learn someone's native language- some sort of spiritual adhesion or connection. This could also been seen in the moment you have mentioned- a spiritual transformation, and it has been theorised that both Renarin and Shallan have employed the spiritual side of illumination at different points in the text. I don't think there is a huge amount known about it right now, but I hope that clears something up

Every Surge Has physical and spiritual aspect - can affect Physical Realm and Spiritual Realm. Very good example is Adhesion, Physical aspect is manipulation od pressure, Spiritual aspect is Connecting people.

Edited by Bzhydack

From Pattern's PoV the difference is minimal.  Soulcasting is changing an object or person's fundamental nature.  Shallan changed the fundamental nature of these criminals.  Ergo she soulcast them.  The surges are not simply mystical or magical they are also a fundamental paradigm by which Rosharan's understand the universe to work at a practical level.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

From Pattern's PoV the difference is minimal.  Soulcasting is changing an object or person's fundamental nature.  Shallan changed the fundamental nature of these criminals.  Ergo she soulcast them.  The surges are not simply mystical or magical they are also a fundamental paradigm by which Rosharan's understand the universe to work at a practical level.

Sp she can soul cast people's personality? Does that mean she can soul cast Sadaes so he wasn't a dick? or Amaram? What?

30 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Sp she can soul cast people's personality? Does that mean she can soul cast Sadaes so he wasn't a dick? or Amaram? What?

Not sure what Sp means.  Can Amamram or Sadeas be changed?  Can Shallan change them?  I have no idea.

15 minutes ago, Karger said:

Not sure what Sp means.  Can Amamram or Sadeas be changed?  Can Shallan change them?  I have no idea.

Ah, you see, my good man, Sp was my brilliant way of misspelling the word so, a two-letter word you think Grammarly would correct, but NOPE. As for not knowing the limitations of surge binding people... that does not bode well.

She isn't Soulcasting people, she may or may not be using some form of the Surge of Transformation. This is what Lightweavers do: provide succor for the soul, make people feel hearty, keep up the morale, inspire people to be the best version of themselves that they can be in the same way Windrunners inspire others to follow them. The Surges they have access to sound like metaphors for how a member of an Order interacts with people: Illumination and Transformation, Adhesion and Gravitation: Lightweavers light up the atmosphere and inspire change, Windrunners cause other people to gravitate towards them and bind them together as a team. You can say that this is natural rather than magical and/or these are just the effects of the Order member's personality, though do keep in mind that in the Cosmere, ideal self and Connection with others is a real thing and magic is very natural.