How would a Mistborn video game work?

IvoryRoad

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which BS novel would work best in video game form?

• Mistborn series
    • Stormlight
    • Warbreaker
    • Elantris

So, as we've all probably heard, Brandon has said that a "promising movement" toward a Mistborn video game has been made. You can find a post on this somewhere in the Brandon News and Discussion forum - I'm too lazy to go back to it now.

I thought this was exciting, but as a general rule, I'm extremely cautious about this sort of thing. I don't want to see a hack n' slash or linear platformer made out of Mistborn; obviously, I want the best spanking thing the industry can crank out. The only book-to-video-game transition that I remember liking a lot was Sierra Entertainment's The Hobbit for PC... but it was rather simplistic in terms of design, simply because little Bilbo does not have the faintest clue about what Allomancy is, or even a whole lot about fighting. The game mostly focused on platforming and puzzle-solving interspersed with some decent combat, but the storytelling was phenomenal, and the atmosphere was also spectacular, especially in the Shire, Mirkwood, and the Misty Mountains.

But, on to my point. The Hobbit struck a pretty nice balance, but Mistborn in video game form would obviously have to be more complicated. How would allomancy transfer to a conventional control system, if such a thing is even possible? Would an FPC (First Person Coiner) be the ideal format? Linear level structure, or free-roaming (I think we can all agree this would be more awesomer, but also difficult to pull off)? How does Tin-burning affect your gaming experience? What about emotional allomancy? Assuming you're not burning copper, how would it affect your game? Would it be implemented at all?

Obviously, this a monumental thing to consider if the game is to be worth anything at all. One of the biggest issues I could forsee right away is the dynamics of Pushing. How can you push on a large number of objects without selecting them, one at a time? In some ways, a good game seems almost impossible. If that's the case, then, what about Stormlight? I think Windrunning would be easier to implement, but would Shardwielding be boring, since nothing challenges you at all?

These are the burning questions. I'm interested in what people think.

EDIT: "burning" questions... haha punz

Edited by IvoryRoad

I think the best way to implement this would be like the open 'sandbox' version of Spiderman (it was spiderman 2 i think).

I would want to be able to push and pull and fly through the air. To be able to roam Luthadel at will doing "missions" BUT have the cut scenes where the overall plan is discussed and agreed on, and what missions you do in the world have an effect on the plan. Say you steal or assassinate too many Lords, it would destabalize the city and bring about the house war. If you didn't, convince the skaa enough or have the arms ready, the Lord ruler would win.

I don't think i'm explaining this well.

I'd want an open sandbox type game, with all your actions effecting the world and plot.

In terms of controls I think Mistborn would be the hardest, but only if you're controlling a Mistborn. There are obvious shortcuts that can be taken. Tin, Copper and Bronze would be entirely passive; same with Pewter to a lesser extent, unless they use it as a replacement for Hit Points, which would work but feel off; "special" metals like Atium and Duralumin would fit into your inventory to reflect their more unique functions and thus have triggers associated with other items (though it looks like the game will take place before Duralumin was known, so Atium could fill a more normal role); Brass and Zinc would be purely non-combat tools perhaps becoming ineffective once enemies reach a certain "awareness" threshold, thus lending themselves to stealth and diplomacy, which is their real place; Gold and Aluminum...no; and Electrum, Cadmium, Bendalloy, Chromium, Nicrosil and Malatium would be unavailable due to their unavailability.

This leaves the player (and the developers) to focus on the real tricky part of a Mistborn's powers: Iron and Steel. I could the issue of selecting multiple things to push/pull on as using a kind of "paint" mechanic with your crosshair, meaning that you hold down the selecting button and move the crosshair over the intended targets. Or it could be more passive, in that you try to go a certain direction and it does the pushing/pulling for you, and if you don't have the anchors to do it then it doesn't work.

We dont really know enough about Stormlight to make a game of it, though it'd possibly fit well with a MMORPG set in the past during the time of the original Radiants, each of which is a class you can chose.

Elantris is all about drawing Aon's, which I guess could be done by a pseudo-macro based drawing thing. If you've played the early Harry Potter games, you'll know what I mean. To cast a common Aon, you scroll through your 'inventory' of practised ones, and click to cast. You practice them by drawing them over a template, which increases the speed/accuracy at which you draw them. More complex Aon's would either need to be done as a pop-up template when/where the're needed, or a set of instructions on which Aon's to combine.

Warbreaker would probably be the easiest, since you have to give specific and exact Commands, Though it would need a world where everything is interactable with, which is pretty intense, and you'd need a natural language interpreter, which is even more intense. Lol, so much for being the easiest...

I think I'd like to see a 'tech-demo' of Elantris' magic.

The best way I would see the controls working is a talent based system. Over time, you would learn more and more advanced techniques combining different metals and actions. For example, you could start with basic talents like a Steeljump, where you drop a coin, then push off of it into the air, and later learn to push enemies (that are wearing metal), brace yourself, deflect swords and (some) arrows, shoot coins, and combine it with iron effectively.

Pewter could be both a "boost" mode, where you do everything better, as well as a resource used up by some talents.

Tin would work similarly to Pewter, being used some by talents, and some by a toggleable extra senses mode.

Bronze could be integrated into the UI, at first as a text box/indicator light, later as an overlay.

Copper would be a straight on/off stealth mechanic. I think that the game would need to increase its burning rate if it wanted to make it an actual decision.

Brass and Zinc could see limited use in combat, mostly for crowd control (taunting and making enemies back off, as well as rallying allies). They would probably mostly be used in conversations.

Steel and Iron would be hard to do well, as they are the flashiest and most unique parts of Mistborn.

I'm not sure what the setting would be, I would like to see it set in Luthadel about 50-500 years before the books, so as not to be interacting with material from them too much.

Elantris is all about drawing Aon's, which I guess could be done by a pseudo-macro based drawing thing. If you've played the early Harry Potter games, you'll know what I mean. To cast a common Aon, you scroll through your 'inventory' of practised ones, and click to cast. You practice them by drawing them over a template, which increases the speed/accuracy at which you draw them. More complex Aon's would either need to be done as a pop-up template when/where the're needed, or a set of instructions on which Aon's to combine.
There was a DS game called LostMagic that worked a lot like that. I think it was actually an RTS, but you could pop up a screen for drawing runes to cast spells at stuff.

There was a DS game called LostMagic that worked a lot like that. I think it was actually an RTS, but you could pop up a screen for drawing runes to cast spells at stuff.

I had that game for a while. The RTS part sucked, but the spell drawing was really cool!

I think Mistborn is tailor made for being turned into a Lego game. It wouldn't be as awesome as a "real" game, but it would be hilarious and fun, and it would work really well.

This is an awesome idea. LEGO INQUISITOR.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always thought that an Assassin's Creed/Force Unleashed hybrid game would work beautifully for the Mistborn universe. Assassin's Creed for it's open-endedness, style(someone could totally make a mod out of one of the larger cities as Luthadel), and certain aspects of gameplay (3rd person is totally the way to go for a Mistborn game, hiding, parkour style of movement, and to some extent combat) and the Force Unleashed for it's over-the-top Force powers, "mana" system, and 3rd person mode again. Fighting in general would be similar to that of Assassin's Creed, though more streamlined, with reaction-based attacks. When you activate any of the more common metals, you have a time bar that slowly depletes and then regenerates afterwards (from Force Unleashed) and for the rare metals (mostly atium) you start with a limited amount of the metal at the beginning of the scenario; it doesn't recharge but you can obtain more of it during the course of the mission (which are open-ended for the most part so if you wish, you can run/jump around Luthadel for hours on end and then go back to the plot of the game.)

Metals:

Copper - Would be on almost constantly, though some scenario's might require you to go without any Allomancy or with a reduced amount of Copper, forcing one to use it carefully around other MB, Seekers and Inquisitors.

Bronze - Pulses are heard through the speaker system and possibly a vibration in the controller if it is on a console. There may also be a visual "pulse" emanating from the source (a colored concentric circle shape would probably work best, as it wouldn't interfere with the blue lines of Steel/Iron.)

Pewter - Might be able to flare this for additional strength, jump height and balance, but is otherwise passive; it would allow one to run faster, jump higher, recover quicker and stay balanced on narrow objects.

Tin - When it is on you can see through mist (duh), see everything in sharper detail and one can flare it to zoom in on the direction one is looking.

Brass/Zinc - Mainly for social interactions ala a Bioware/Obsidian style RPG and possibly for use against Koloss (if they ever entered the game)

Steel/Iron - Ah the hard ones...I like Silus' idea for a generally passive ability, movement wise: if you can push/pull on something in that direction then the game will do the selecting for you, you just need to choose a direction that has enough metal to push/pull on, and if there won't be enough metal, you will be able to see the reduction in blue lines and either: turn around, stop and hover with anchors (possibly show your character throw down a coin or two if you stop moving, then pull them back to your hand as you start to move again) or continue going and drop in an arc to the ground/rooftop/etc. You can stop Pushing/Pulling on metals by deactivating Steel/Iron and then drop to the ground at any time so you can drop on a roof and then enter through a door in the roof (of your hideout, if you are part of the Rebellion, for instance.) For combat...um, something similar to telekinetic Force powers? You will be able to see the blue lines (or lack thereof) and know whether or not you can push/pull other characters/objects or one could shot coins from a pouch at opponents. You could also have some ability to boost a jump in combat by Pushing/Pulling on a metal object...

Gold - Uh...plot device?

Atium - Slows down everything but you (and other Atium users, obviously) and creates shadows based off of the future movements, as calculated by the in-game computer (wouldn't work for a multiplayer game...you might have to go with increased movement and attacking speed ala Jedi Outcast/Academy multiplayer.) For opponents also burning atium, shows multiple shadows and they travel at normal speed.

Any other metal - Could be added, probably wouldn't be too hard, though by adding the other metals (other than Duralumin and Electrum), you would have to change the time period that the game takes place in (or break the current plot structure.)

Being able to play as a Feruchemist or, heaven forbid, an Inquisitor or Feruchemist/Allomancer hybrid, could also be incredibly fun (and painful for the game designers.) :D

No, I haven't thought about this a lot. :P

The OPs remark about playing as a Shardbearer being boring: just think of it as being a Dynasty Warriors type of game...actually, Dynasty Warriors would fit very well with any medium to large scale battles in the Roshar universe: Shardbearers would be the leaders of groups, and Windrunners or any of the other orders of the Knight's Radiant as they become more common could also fulfill this role...dang, that sounds really fun... :D

Had to vote Mistborn because of all of the crazy possibilities... If I really sat down and thought about it, there is probably a "power" in other random video games that could crudely correlate to those of the allomantic metals...

Copper and Bronze could be set up like the "detective mode" in the Batman: Arkham games (basically hit a button to look through a system that highlights different interactive characters/objects that are in your vicinity in different colors ie. red=bad:blue=good... you get the idea)...

Pewter could basically be a mellowed out, extended version of getting a star in Mario Bros...

Steel and Iron could be almost just like a grappeling hook or other device (I just played Batman so I'm thinking like that again(I know, I'm a dork))that pops up on all sorts of metal things and just needs a button prompt...

Agree with most who said that brass/zinc would have to be more of a tool for conversation

Atium is like Matrix mode...

I could see some promise for Stormlight if it was set up in a full on battle mode (like you're a general/god's eye-view) and maybe also letting jump into one on one combat as your Shardbearer... Could start battling in the border disputes, then promoted to the taking of gemhearts, and then who knows... Could have lots of interesting side stories to delve into, now that I think about it, maybe it would be a bit much, but still has a lot of promise imo

I could see some promise for Stormlight if it was set up in a full on battle mode (like you're a general/god's eye-view) and maybe also letting jump into one on one combat as your Shardbearer... Could start battling in the border disputes, then promoted to the taking of gemhearts, and then who knows... Could have lots of interesting side stories to delve into, now that I think about it, maybe it would be a bit much, but still has a lot of promise imo

@pv3Hpv3p: damnation you. Now you have me thinking of a stormlight MMO. you suck. rating you up

Edited by Catalyst21

Hmm... I coulda sworn I've seen a topic like this somewhere else. Lots of good ideas. Some thoughts:

- I love RTSes more than life itself, so I'm in full agreeance. Don't care what part of the cosmere, I'll play it (though WoK is sounding like the most likely candidate; for Mistborn a 1st/3rd-person Something makes the most sense)

Speaking of which:

- Steel/Iron Lines: perhaps in addition to the lines (thickness/brightness/length), the game could provide a special coloration of the target to show mass/proximity/direction? (i.e. metals grounded/heavier than you are red, metals free/lighter than you are blue, etc)

- Fatigue Meter: I think due to the presence of Pewter, you would almost have to include some kind of "Fatigue Meter" like in most detailed RPGs (Oblivion, D&D, Harvest Moon, etc); i.e. a meter that is full (stamina) and depletes as you do things or get hurt; burning Tin could make you fatigue slightly faster, but Pewter's main use would be to extend fatigue (as well as to defend against possible OHKO's... the list goes on!!)

- Game in General: something like the Ratchet & Clank (<3) "Quick-Select menu"; you hold a button and the game goes into a "light-pause" (can still see the action, but dimmed, with a lightly-UIed menu up), showing a menu of either Metals to Burn (set up a sequential list) or Objects to Pull/Push (similar), you 'make your order', then it works like a toggle; release the button and the game "unfreezes", menu disappears, and you enact the actions.

- Game in General: Most of all, I would want this game to not be a "God of War" remake. All sorts of respect to a well-made game, and granted, Mistborn is decidedly gruesome in many of it's descriptive fight/kill-scenes, but I honestly don't think that's necessary or even good in a game like this. IMHO.

Edited by Triumvirate

I think Stormlight would be better suited to be a RTT game not a RTS game, at least with the details we have now.

Real Time Tactics? Is that what the other T stands for?

Personally, "tactics" and "strategy" seem close enough to each other in meaning that they're interchangeable. Which then, (again, to me), just means that "RTS" is the wrong name to use for games like Starcraft. Those games aren't very strategic, to be honest. Not like chess or go. They're much closer to "he who clicks the fastest, wins".

I'm biased, definitely, but to me there's a greater chance of using tactics and strategy if the game is turn-based rather than real-time.

Real Time Tactics? Is that what the other T stands for?

Personally, "tactics" and "strategy" seem close enough to each other in meaning that they're interchangeable. Which then, (again, to me), just means that "RTS" is the wrong name to use for games like Starcraft. Those games aren't very strategic, to be honest. Not like chess or go. They're much closer to "he who clicks the fastest, wins".

I'm biased, definitely, but to me there's a greater chance of using tactics and strategy if the game is turn-based rather than real-time.

Yeah the other T stands for tactics. In a nutshell it's kinda like a RTS with the resource gathering removed.

Also, there's a lot more strategy involved in RTS games than it may seem on the surface. While you do need to be able to click fast in order to play at the highest levels, knowing when and where to click is far more important. Whenever I play a RTS I have an idea of how I want my production facilities and my army to look at endgame, so I then develop a strategy to get me there. It's not the same as chess or go, but that doesn't mean it lacks strategy.

- Game in General: something like the Ratchet & Clank (<3) "Quick-Select menu"; you hold a button and the game goes into a "light-pause" (can still see the action, but dimmed, with a lightly-UIed menu up), showing a menu of either Metals to Burn (set up a sequential list) or Objects to Pull/Push (similar), you 'make your order', then it works like a toggle; release the button and the game "unfreezes", menu disappears, and you enact the actions.

I like the idea of the quick-select sort of thing. Maybe a Zelda-esque setup, where you set the active metals to a button or trigger of your choice? Then you could just choose whether to have copper, zinc, or tin on.

Well, some of them (like Pewter/Tin) would be on a toggle switch all of it's own; their just used so often (or rather, never turned off in many cases) that they should be easy to use like that. Others would require more micro, and thus would be on their own button.

(I think I said that backwards...)

I swear, I saw this discussion somewhere else, and someone said some really smart things. Gah. :P

Well, some of them (like Pewter/Tin) would be on a toggle switch all of it's own; their just used so often (or rather, never turned off in many cases) that they should be easy to use like that. Others would require more micro, and thus would be on their own button.

(I think I said that backwards...)

I swear, I saw this discussion somewhere else, and someone said some really smart things. Gah. :P

Maybe it was on TWG.

I was actually thinking that tin should not be a passive metal. Sure, you can toggle it on and off, maybe, but having it always on should have negative effects as well. Just like the book - "Consequences, Vin."

I feel like tin should be used purely for scouting or stealthy operations, and if something overloads your senses with it on, your screen shakes, blurs, sounds get tinny or something else equally punishing. Think the new suppressing fire mechanic in BF3. Someone doesn't necessarily have to hit you for your vision to be affected.

Pewter, I think could be toggled too, but it would run out lots faster than tin. Ooh, I just had a mini-economic concept where you can pause at any time to replenish metals, but you've got to ration vials because you have to purchase them from vendors. :rolleyes:

Maybe it was on TWG.

I don't think I ever visited there' date=' actually.

I was actually thinking that tin should not be a passive metal. Sure, you can toggle it on and off, maybe, but having it always on should have negative effects as well. Just like the book - "Consequences, Vin."

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't very clear. You should definitely be able to turn it on or off; some metals, though, would be important enough to have their own button (alongside the regular "punch/kick/action/whatever" buttons), such as (potentially) Tin and Pewter. Others, like Bronze/Copper//Brass/Zinc (the Mental ones) might even be relegated to use primarily/only in talking to other people (sorta similar to the Persuasion wheel-mini-game in Oblivion).

Maybe something like Copper would always be on (because until Duralumin gets involved, their's no reason to ever take that off, until you sleep).

I feel like tin should be used purely for scouting or stealthy operations' date=' and if something overloads your senses with it on, your screen shakes, blurs, sounds get tinny or something else equally punishing. Think the new suppressing fire mechanic in BF3. Someone doesn't necessarily have to hit you for your vision to be affected.

[/quote']

Oh, definitely. That's a big part of the "Fatigue Meter" I suggested, where you would gain Fatigue (or lose Stamina, depending on which way you look at it...) from external stimuli (getting hurt, getting blinded, etc), exacerbated burning Tin and mitigated by burning Pewter.

Never played "BF3", but I agree with the mechanic.

Ooh' date=' I just had a mini-economic concept where you can pause at any time to replenish metals, but you've got to ration vials because you have to purchase them from vendors.[/quote']

Definitely. That's an important facet of the universe; can't just ignore when your metals are running low.