17th shard

Hoid the Former Drifter

Question

5 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

Okay, so being that the site is named after a group that Hoid is part of called the 17th shard, what is that group and what do they do?

1 minute ago, Experience said:

I don't think we know very much about them as of now. I'm pretty sure they do have non-intervention policy, but other then that I'm not sure. We do know some of their members. Hoid, like you said, and I'm pretty sure Demoux and Galloden. And Mraizes masked master. 

Hoid is not a member of the 17th Shard, and is, in fact, being hunted by them, apparently under Frost the Dragon's instructions. Mraize's master (Iyatil) is a member of the Ghostbloods, not 17th Shard. Demoux (from Mistborn), Galladon (from Elantris) and Baon (from White Sand) are members of the 17th Shard whom we saw in the Purelake interlude in Way of Kings, as is Demoux's wife Aslydin, possibly the Terriswoman nurse we saw in Warbreaker. Yes, they support non-intervention but we don't know much more about them than that.

I don't think we know very much about them as of now. I'm pretty sure they do have non-intervention policy, but other then that I'm not sure. We do know some of their members. Hoid, like you said, and I'm pretty sure Demoux and Galloden. And Mraizes masked master. 

1 minute ago, Honorless said:

Hoid is not a member of the 17th Shard, and is, in fact, being hunted by them, apparently under Frost the Dragon's instructions. Mraize's master (Iyatil) is a member of the Ghostbloods, not 17th Shard. Demoux (from Mistborn), Galladon (from Elantris) and Baon (from White Sand) are members of the 17th Shard whom we saw in the Purelake interlude in Way of Kings, as is Demoux's wife Aslydin, possibly the Terriswoman nurse we saw in Warbreaker. Yes, they support non-intervention but we don't know much more about them than that.

Oh, ya. Wasn't Iyatil previously part of the 17th Shard though?

On 10/4/2020 at 8:19 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

Okay, so being that the site is named after a group that Hoid is part of called the 17th shard, what is that group and what do they do?

Brandon has described them as kind of being Cosmere Starfleet, if you're familiar with Star Trek. Here's a short version of the big WoB we have:

"We're watching, we're studying' we're investigating, and we're trying to prevent-- ...They're like Starfleet, right? They've got some Starfleet stuff right? "We're gonna go research and study these people, but we shouldn't be involved." It's less about Prime Directive, and more about "What if something we do causes-- exacerbates the conflict between the Shards." The Shards split up for a reason, is what they think, right? Shards split up for a reason, they should continue to be split up, we should not dabble in bringing them together.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

So basically, they're studying the worlds but they don't want to interfere overtly because they're worried about what might happen. They're going after Hoid (not a member) because they're worried he and they are at cross-purposes and that he'll interfere.