Eating hemalurgic spikes

Wind

Question

I feel like someone has asked this before, but what would happen if an allomancer ate a hemalurgic spike? We know that with eating metal minds it grants you a larger power than otherwise, but that power is feruchemical, so would you possibly get the allomantic or feruchemical ability from the spike, but greater for a while? If you think it is my theory, who would be able to burn them, would it be limited to people who burn that metal or would the investiture be open to anyone for the taking?

1 answer to this question

53 minutes ago, A Windrunner said:

I feel like someone has asked this before, but what would happen if an allomancer ate a hemalurgic spike? We know that with eating metal minds it grants you a larger power than otherwise, but that power is feruchemical, so would you possibly get the allomantic or feruchemical ability from the spike, but greater for a while? If you think it is my theory, who would be able to burn them, would it be limited to people who burn that metal or would the investiture be open to anyone for the taking?

Burning a metalmind only grants you more power if it's your *own* metalmind. When Vin tried to burn Sazed's metalminds, she got nothing extra out of it.

Wobs about burning spikes:

Czanos

Would anything interesting happen if an Allomancer Burned a Hemalurgic spike, or a Feruchemist Tapped one?

Brandon Sanderson

Er, well, it’s possible. But you’d have to be burning a Hemalurgic spike that killed you and took your power…

Just like you can’t gain anything by burning a metalmind unless you infused it yourself.

#tweettheauthor 2009 (July 8, 2009)

His thinking's evolve a bit on that, maybe.

Maru Nui

What happens when you burn a Hemalurgic spike?

Brandon Sanderson

Burning a Hemalurgic spike would have the effect of splicing your spiritual DNA to that of the person's that is in the spike, which would have some very strange consequences.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)

Or maybe it depends on whether you've just eaten someone's hemalurgic spike and burned it, or whether you've been spiked and are burning the spike that's in you. I think the latter - just taking someone's spike and eating it and burning it is uneventful, but if you get spiked and try to burn the spike that's now stapled to your spiritweb weird things happen.