Another cover to look at for Rhythm of War, part 2

Oltux72

Translated version of the Stormlight Archive are usually split into two books. The second release needs a new cover, so we have more covers to look at.
Rhythm of War, part 2, German edition, direct link to the publishers subsidiary

This shows the cover of the German second book. Does anybody have a version without text?

Anyway, this looks to me like somebody is attacking a strong fortress. We have double walls with the crenellations done the right way. This actually looks very strange for Roshar. No preparations for High Storms and no preparation to defend against Shard Blades. The attackers are using siege towers. They take a long time to build. Longer than High Storms and the Everstorm should give you.

It looks like somebody is attacking a fortress in Shadesmar. The theme of high square towers is picked up again.

You need to remember that the cover artists (esp. in other countries) are usually asked to draw a scene and they probably just get the description of that scene if anything. I wouldn't put too much thought into the architecture on the covers (if original polish covers are anything to go by - the armor on them was just to not-SA vibe), they might as well just have been told to draw a siege and that's what they did.

Though the title of the second book (google translate says it's The tower of light correct me if its wrong) does bring to my mind Lasting Integrity and we know there will be some action going on there. Though I guess this could also refer to Uruthiru once they figure out how to turn it on.

I found the person in the red cape more interesting at the beginning but then I remembered German covers always have it for some reason - is it supposed to be Kaladin? 

Brandon has said that the German covers are the ones that he has the least control over (and so are the least likely to actually portray scenes from the book), but assuming that this is from the book it looks like either a siege on Urithiru (very likely as this is likely a time when they'll finally discover the secrets of the Sibling and activate it or something like that) or Lasting Integrity, which may well come under fire either from the Parshendi or from the Ghostbloods?

Either way, looks like a cool cover.

1 hour ago, Chana said:

Though the title of the second book (google translate says it's The tower of light correct me if its wrong) does bring to my mind Lasting Integrity and we know there will be some action going on there. Though I guess this could also refer to Uruthiru once they figure out how to turn it on.

"The Tower of Light" is a misleading translation (not that I blame Google to do it on purpose :p).

A more literal translation is: "The Tower of the Lights" or maybe "The Tower of Lights"   

Very strange. It doesn't look like a spren fortress to me (neither does the surrounding) and the blurp also mentions Urithiru ...  So I don't think Lasting Integrity is depicted. 

The German translators have a very bad reputation with scifi-tv-show-fans at least. They regularly spoil important "things" in their titles instead of staying true to the English original title that is generally far more ... nebulous. So if someone betrays the team in the show you can bet that the German title will call the episode "deadly treason" while the English title is something like "New Grounds" (that tells you absolutely nothing). Yeah, that was an actual example from SG1 ^^

Edited by Schneeente

23 minutes ago, Crylorenzo said:

but assuming that this is from the book it looks like either a siege on Urithiru (very likely as this is likely a time when they'll finally discover the secrets of the Sibling and activate it or something like that)

Been there, done that, failed. And that even while controlling an oathgate. Laying siege to a fortress with oathgates in it is, frankly, ridiculous. You'd have to storm it. And that would leave you with only the Heavenly Ones against all the crew of Urithiru, fighting in an environment where flight is pretty useless and the defenders have the inner lines.

In other words: suicide (well, technically body loss while the Everstorm is blowing)

17 minutes ago, Schneeente said:

The German translators have a very bad reputation with scifi-fans at least, because they regularly spoil important "things" in their titles instead of staying true to the English original title that is generally far more ... nebulous. 

Except for Oathbringer, the translation look fairly literal to me.

1 minute ago, Oltux72 said:

Except for Oathbringer, the translation look fairly literal to me.

I'm looking at the other books right now, I translate them (literally) for you, then you can judge for yourself:

1. The Way of Kings (=The Way of Kings)

2. The Path of Winds

3. The Words of Light  (=Words of Radiance)

4. The Storms of Rage/Anger/Fury

5. The Call of Blades (=Oathbringer)

6. The Splinters of Power 

7. The (female) Dancer on the Edge / Abyss  (=Edgedancer)

8.  The Rhythm of War (=Rhythm of War)

9. The Tower of Lights

I never looked at the German book titles before. It's seems someone forces them to be ... symmetric. And I have to admit, they don't spoil nearly as much as they do with their scifi-title-translations. I wonder why they named the second book "The Path of Winds", does anyone have a theory? 

Looking at the titles, comparing them with each other and with the knowledge we already have, one thing seems clear: This "Tower of Lights" (whatever it is) will play a significant role during the second part of the RoW. 

12 hours ago, Schneeente said:

I'm looking at the other books right now, I translate them (literally) for you, then you can judge for yourself:

1. The Way of Kings (=The Way of Kings)

2. The Path of Winds

3. The Words of Light  (=Words of Radiance)

4. The Storms of Rage/Anger/Fury

5. The Call of Blades (=Oathbringer)

6. The Splinters of Power 

7. The (female) Dancer on the Edge / Abyss  (=Edgedancer)

8.  The Rhythm of War (=Rhythm of War)

9. The Tower of Lights

I never looked at the German book titles before. It's seems someone forces them to be ... symmetric. And I have to admit, they don't spoil nearly as much as they do with their scifi-title-translations. I wonder why they named the second book "The Path of Winds", does anyone have a theory? 

Looking at the titles, comparing them with each other and with the knowledge we already have, one thing seems clear: This "Tower of Lights" (whatever it is) will play a significant role during the second part of the RoW. 

Splinters of Power is somewhat spoilery, but only if you’re from this forum...

Yeah, the German covers are basically unrelated unless you look really hard. There's always enough there to make me think it's not some cover ripped from a completely different book, but they must give their artists almost nothing to work with.

From this cover, I don't think we can assume anything more than "there's a tower in the book" and "there's a war or battle".

There's an argument to be made that Chapter 14 shed's some light on what it is depicting... But who the heck knows what the artist is going for with these versions.