Question Re: Part Heading Glyphs

dgreene196

I've tried searching, but I haven't found an answer.  I suspect it's been discussed and I've just missed it, but:

I've noticed on my reread that there are glyphs on the 'cover page' for each part of the novels.  Is there a pattern to these that has been identified?

In the physical books I have (Words of Radiance and Oathbringer), Parts 1 and 5 are both the glyph representing the book it is (Lightweaver for WoR, Bondsmith for Oathbringer).  I'm not sure I recognize all the other glyphs clearly, and the e-book (the only version of tWoK I have until I get the Kickstarter) doesn't include these glyphs.

Any clear significance?  Or just decoration?

Thanks for any answers that can be provided.

Without having checked all glyphs, the glyphs in Oathbringer seem to be Honorblade glyphs. The glyph for parts 2 and 4 depicts Jezrien's honorblade, e.g.

The glyph for part three in Oathbringer is the same one as the glyph in part two in Way of Kings. Common main viewpoint characters in these parts are Kaladin, Dalinar and Adolin - since the glyphs corresponding to Kaladin and Dalinar are accounted for (Jezrien Honorblade and Ishar Honorblade), the glyph decorating those parts would represent the honorblade of Adolin's order of Knights Radiant. 

Wait. He doesn't have one, does he?

On 10/4/2020 at 3:52 AM, Pattern said:

Common main viewpoint characters in these parts are Kaladin, Dalinar and Adolin - since the glyphs corresponding to Kaladin and Dalinar are accounted for (Jezrien Honorblade and Ishar Honorblade), the glyph decorating those parts would represent the honorblade of Adolin's order of Knights Radiant. 

I'm not entirely certain that this line of logic holds up, as the symbol in question is Nalan's, making it Skybreaker imagery. And though it's a bit of a pain to find, the Wiki has the symbols documented.

Book 1 had Glyphs for Jezrien, Nalan, and Chana. Book 2 had Glyphs for Shalash, Battar, and Kelek. Book 3 had Glyphs for Ishar, Jezrien, and Nalan. Oh...

It's numeric. Jeseh, Nan, Chach is 1, 2, 3. Shash, Betab, Kek is 6, 7, 8. Ishi, Jeseh, Nan is 10, 1, 2(which loops back around). If the pattern keeps up, it would actually take both remaining front five books to fill in the gaps(4 and 5 can be done in one, but 9 is too far away).

They are numeric Keteks.

In WOK(Kaladin's book), the symbols are: Jezrien(1), Nale(2), Chanarach(3), Nale(2), Jezrien(1).

In WOR(Shallan's book), the symbols are: Shalash(6), Battar(7), Kalak(8), Battar(7), Shalash(6).

In OB(Dalinar's book), the symbols are: Ishar(10), Jezrien(1), Nale(2), Jezrien(1), Ishar(10).

So ln ROW(Venli/Eshonai's book), it should be Kalak(8), Talenel(9), Ishar(10), Talenel(9), Kalak(8).