Advantages from Storing Traits in Metalminds-Discussion

Aspiring Writer

Well, it been a while since I have made another topic. Let's see how long I can keep this up as a weekly thing. So, during the week, I was on a thread talking about certain mechanics of Feruchemy regarding Tin (*Cough* @Koloss17 *Cough* Tin Theology *Cough Cough*) and it brought up how by storing most of your senses, you can make yourself numb to pain, and this got me thinking, what advantages come, rather from tapping your metalminds, from storing in them instead? there are the basic ones, of making yourself light so your faster and the numbing pain I mentioned, but I think there are other benefits we may be missing or haven't thought of, so I made this thread. What kinds of benefits can you think of?

There’s storing time stuff like smell and turning off your hearing if someone is annoying. There’s also atium, which is obvious. Storing anything helps an act if you are impersonating someone. Hmmmm. Nicrosilminds are used for making unsealed metalminds. Aluminumminds, if empty, allows you to steal other’s metalminds. If you store connection, you can go unnoticed through the crowd.

thats all I got! I’m holding off on the tin theologians because there’s more to learn. I’ll eventually get to it, but I also dunno if it will fit in the mistborn, cosmere, or social groups n’ guilds forums.

I have the philosophy that storing can be just as useful as tapping.

Steel makes moving slowly easier, I don't know if you've tried it but taking a slow pace is actually kind of painful.

Iron: slow Fall

Pewter: decrease size and strength, good for acts of getting into small spaces.

Tin: I don't have to precive anything I don't want to.

Copper: we all have those things we just can't unsee.....

Bronze: SLEEP!

Zinc: this could also help sleep, or help you act dumb.

Brass: if it's too hot, I can be cold.

Atium: act old, no be old

Malatium: ???

Gold: acting sick has never been so easy.

Electrum: ever unable to sit still? No you can't move! Or make it easier to maintain calm.

Cadmium: How better to act stressed.

Bendalloy: make your money back at all you can eat.

Aluminum: I have all the powers

Dur-aluminum: you feel nothing when talking to me, nothing (what better way to deesscilate a situation.)

Chromium: now I really will be surprised(or hide that you're cheating at cards, depends on how it works Brandon is confusing on this point)

Nicrocil: Blend in with the Nalthian street population, or pretend you don't have powers.

Lerasium: ???

I could see nicrosil being very useful for a world hopper, there are many times where it would be easier to blend in without magic, also hiding from various detection abilities throughout the cosmere. Also, don't know if this is how it works exactly, but it has been said the more abilities you have the less resonance show up, so if you could get rid of abilities if you had multiple magic systems, you might be able to use some of the resonances you otherwise couldn't.

1 hour ago, OmniBident said:

I could see nicrosil being very useful for a world hopper, there are many times where it would be easier to blend in without magic, also hiding from various detection abilities throughout the cosmere. Also, don't know if this is how it works exactly, but it has been said the more abilities you have the less resonance show up, so if you could get rid of abilities if you had multiple magic systems, you might be able to use some of the resonances you otherwise couldn't.

Resonances form from the combination of two powers, getting rid of them might form a resonance, but it will disappear again when you use the other powers again.

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

Resonances form from the combination of two powers, getting rid of them might form a resonance, but it will disappear again when you use the other powers again.

Exactly, so storing in nicrocil could be quite useful then. Again, don't know if that is exactly how it would work, but I personally am fond of thinking about it that way. You would gain a resonance when storing then lose it again after you stopped, effectively giving you more variety of powers even if you cant use them all at once. 

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I can use other Feruchemist metal minds, which means, I have all the powers!

(Sorry if that wasn't clear.)

You can use other people's metalmind, but you still need the right type of investiture for that. Very useful for a Full Feruchemist, or a Trueself with F-Spike, but not so much for a Trueself only. A Trueself could only use other aluminumminds (and only if they really store Identity).

Edited by Raphaborn

20 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

You can use other people's metalmind, but you still need the right type of investiture for that. Very useful for a Full Feruchemist, or a Trueself with F-Spike, but not so much for a Trueself only. A Trueself could only use other aluminumminds (and only if they really store Identity).

Well, that is very useful for a worldhopper! That lets their spiritual identity be another’s, tricking shards and hoids alike. That would be cool.

2 hours ago, OmniBident said:

Exactly, so storing in nicrocil could be quite useful then. Again, don't know if that is exactly how it would work, but I personally am fond of thinking about it that way. You would gain a resonance when storing then lose it again after you stopped, effectively giving you more variety of powers even if you cant use them all at once. 

Pretty sure resonances take time to form, so it won't be an instantaneous switch whenever you go from one power to the next. You will need to spend a lot of time using two powers for little reward. 

51 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Pretty sure resonances take time to form, so it won't be an instantaneous switch whenever you go from one power to the next. You will need to spend a lot of time using two powers for little reward. 

I read that on the coppermind after posting. Makes sense, but kind of disappointing. Might still be worth it for some of the more useful resonances, namely one of the ones from stormlight, plus we haven't seen that many yet, there could be more that are useful enough to jump through some hoops to get them.

58 minutes ago, OmniBident said:

I read that on the coppermind after posting. Makes sense, but kind of disappointing. Might still be worth it for some of the more useful resonances, namely one of the ones from stormlight, plus we haven't seen that many yet, there could be more that are useful enough to jump through some hoops to get them.

I feel like resonances are more passive, so I don't see how useful they can be to make them worth that effort. Also, welcome to your fifteen days after joining the shard. 

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

I feel like resonances are more passive, so I don't see how useful they can be to make them worth that effort. Also, welcome to your fifteen days after joining the shard. 

Well, I don't want to get into stormlight here, but if one was a twinborn and a radiant, having access to a particular order's resonance I personally would consider very worth it. Also, thanks.

Just now, OmniBident said:

Well, I don't want to get into stormlight here, but if one was a twinborn and a radiant, having access to a particular order's resonance I personally would consider very worth it. Also, thanks.

You're welcome, and also, twinborn count as two powers, same for being radiant, so they wouldn't form a resonance easily.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

You're welcome, and also, twinborn count as two powers, same for being radiant, so they wouldn't form a resonance easily.

That is why Nicrocil for getting rid of the allomancy temporarily. Any way, it could be a possible benefit, though niche, if someone wanted to use it. It is useless almost always, but occasionally spending a lot of time without powers to gain a particular resonance might, maybe, be worth it... maybe. Probably not. But maybe.

I was thinking about storing Strengh in pewterminds. This should be advantage during training - you dont need many various weights, you need just one, and just store more and more of strengh during training.

Also, this can be good method for "looking harmlessly" and also as camouflage - you can literaly change size, so you can wear whatever you wants (mean, size).

16 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

I was thinking about storing Strengh in pewterminds. This should be advantage during training - you dont need many various weights, you need just one, and just store more and more of strengh during training.

This reminds me of an idea I saw somewhere for Pewter Ferring super-soldiers. Basically you’d just have them be constantly filling strength, and then put them through a normal training regiment. They’d (theoretically) increase in strength while also filling their Metalminds. So eventually they’d be at normal person strength, but only a small percentage of their own because they’re still filling. Then, stop filling, and boom, super-soldier. Also they’d have a ton of strength stored up at that point, so if their default is already super strength, imagine them tapping all the strength they’ve been storing up. 

5 hours ago, Danex said:

This reminds me of an idea I saw somewhere for Pewter Ferring super-soldiers. Basically you’d just have them be constantly filling strength, and then put them through a normal training regiment. They’d (theoretically) increase in strength while also filling their Metalminds. So eventually they’d be at normal person strength, but only a small percentage of their own because they’re still filling. Then, stop filling, and boom, super-soldier. Also they’d have a ton of strength stored up at that point, so if their default is already super strength, imagine them tapping all the strength they’ve been storing up. 

Only problem is that physical size is stored to, so eventually the extra muscle will get in the way. 

Well.

Brass : As a guy from India , let me tell  u I wouldn't mind having to store all that excess ambient summer heat 

______

Copper : The best according to me. Store Traumatic memories. Throw it away. 

Store the memory of any great book u read. Read it now as if it is the first time you are reading it. I wouldn't mind trying this trick to reread the ending of HoA. 

Then u can tap the first reads back. 

Works with other media too. Might work for maintaining romance too. Although it would require far more detailed and subtle storing away of memories. 

Also no need to fear spoilers !!!!!! 

_____

Bendalloy : well , staying thin has never been easier. Also u could become super skinny as a disguise or to fit in small cramped places. 

____

Chromium : enter into the Guinness world records as the unluckily man alive. Lol

_____

Zinc : cure for anxiety. Might also help a lot in meditation. 

____

Iron : literally jump on someone to hug them without breaking thier bones. ❤️❤️

Jump from 2-3 floors up to impress ppl . 

_____

Tin : use it to eat healthy but terrible tasting foods. 

_____

Bronze : sleep at command. 

_____

Electrum : use it whenever u r feeling like you are gonna make a decision you will regret. Whether it be that extra helping of icecream or a tattoo . 

___

Duralumin : read a book in peace without anyone interrupting u. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing