Somebody your a Torai!

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Ok so I'm going to make a magic system based slightly on the elements that's going to have telekinesis laser and energy beams spontaneous creation and destruction of objects and the ability to control various things about yourself like weight senses strength etc. All magic is drawn from the elements so telekinesis from air laser and energy beams from fire spontaneous creation and destruction of objects from earth and control of bodily attributes from water the magic is called Toraiik and a user of the magic is called a Torai hence the title any ideas?

21 minutes ago, Frustration said:

For what?

The magic system and different things the magic can be turned into and ideas for the parts of it I've explained so far

10 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

The magic system and different things the magic can be turned into and ideas for the parts of it I've explained so far

How closely do you want to tie it to the elements, or how distant do you want it to be from the elements? For example, do you want the air based power of telekinesis to only work where their is air, so you can't affect things underwater, or in space, or remove items within another item from its container if the first isn't exposed, and if it is exposed then only as though pulling on the exposed portion? How precise and how small or large can the things affected be? Do you want the fire based lasers to appear and behave like fire, only focused into a beam? Do you want to earth based materials to be metals, crystal, sand, and stone, or any solid? Does the water based body modification apply only to creatures with liquid blood or fluids, and can it be used to affect their bones, as even though bones are the most solid part of someone they are also where a lot of blood is made? How much does the body changes affect genetics?

Also, powers shouldn't be treated in a vacuum and isolated from the setting. Shape and be shaped, powers interact with the world. Are these powers in the hands of humans, aliens, or elemental beings, so that this is the power that various "elementals" have, that they learned how to control and use in these ways as human society developed, as humans gained scientific knowledge the elementals learnt how to use these their abilities to affect things that humanity discovered, and using the rules humanity learned.

6 hours ago, Ixthos said:

How closely do you want to tie it to the elements, or how distant do you want it to be from the elements? For example, do you want the air based power of telekinesis to only work where their is air, so you can't affect things underwater, or in space, or remove items within another item from its container if the first isn't exposed, and if it is exposed then only as though pulling on the exposed portion? How precise and how small or large can the things affected be? Do you want the fire based lasers to appear and behave like fire, only focused into a beam? Do you want to earth based materials to be metals, crystal, sand, and stone, or any solid? Does the water based body modification apply only to creatures with liquid blood or fluids, and can it be used to affect their bones, as even though bones are the most solid part of someone they are also where a lot of blood is made? How much does the body changes affect genetics?

Also, powers shouldn't be treated in a vacuum and isolated from the setting. Shape and be shaped, powers interact with the world. Are these powers in the hands of humans, aliens, or elemental beings, so that this is the power that various "elementals" have, that they learned how to control and use in these ways as human society developed, as humans gained scientific knowledge the elementals learnt how to use these their abilities to affect things that humanity discovered, and using the rules humanity learned.

So my thought process is this isn't elemental magic you just draw power from so you can steal heat and use it to make lasers you can destroy objects in order to make slightly smaller objects you absorb moisture from around you and then use it to increase your physical abilities you absorb more air then usual and you can use it's magic to make objects move

As for how water works it's ambiguous but my thought process is all races can use it even ones without blood it's just taking the innate magic within water and uses it to improve physical abilities 

Well I don't but I make magic then the setting then work and the magic some more 

2 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

So my thought process is this isn't elemental magic you just draw power from so you can steal heat and use it to make lasers you can destroy objects in order to make slightly smaller objects you absorb moisture from around you and then use it to increase your physical abilities you absorb more air then usual and you can use it's magic to make objects move

As for how water works it's ambiguous but my thought process is all races can use it even ones without blood it's just taking the innate magic within water and uses it to improve physical abilities 

Well I don't but I make magic then the setting then work and the magic some more 

Ahhh, so are you more interested then in possible powers based on this such as exactly what telekinesis, physical boosting, can do, as well as uses for those powers, and limitations of those powers?

19 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Ahhh, so are you more interested then in possible powers based on this such as exactly what telekinesis, physical boosting, can do, as well as uses for those powers, and limitations of those powers?

Yes my bases for this magic system is an elemental based magic system that isn't a elemental magic system although I'm not just interested in the 4 subsections above I'm more interested in the possible powers each time of magic has like air is telekinesis but it can also be used to hold your breath longer 

Oh I almost forgot I'm also trying to find out how to make telekinesis less overpowered

Edited by Somebody from Sel

2 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Yes my bases for this magic system is an elemental based magic system that isn't a elemental magic system although I'm not just interested in the 4 subsections above I'm more interested in the possible powers each time of magic has like air is telekinesis but it can also be used to hold your breath longer

Okay, so powers related to each element? Some ideas:

Air:

• Telekinesis - using store of wind from absorbing wind, so standing in a windy place and absorbing the wind blowing on you
  • Holding breath - using store of air from hyperventilating in an area with clear air
  • Knocking out those around you - using store of smoke from absorbing smoke
  • Hearing and smelling - a byproduct of absorbing, so done anytime absorbing for other abilities, even when not trying

Fire:

• Heat lasers - using store of heat
  • Freezing items - absorbing heat
  • Surviving in cold environments - using store of heat
  • Surviving in hot environments - absorbing heat to fill store
  • Increased speed - using store of electricity, (could be in air rather than fire) (see water)

Earth:

• Forming material depending on what was absorbed - so making stone objects requires stone to be absorbed, making things quickly results in cruder items but doing it more slowly means it takes longer to make something large  

Water:

• Increased strength / toughness - using store of ice / absorbing ice
  • Increased senses - using store of water / absorbing water
  • Increased reflexes / speed - using store of steam / absorbing steam

Can also combine abilities, such as needing to be stronger so draining heat from some water to make it ice, then using the ice to become tougher and stronger, then needing to get away so using the heat to boil the remaining water to gain steam to use to run

1 hour ago, Ixthos said:

Okay, so powers related to each element? Some ideas:

Air:

• Telekinesis - using store of wind from absorbing wind, so standing in a windy place and absorbing the wind blowing on you
  • Holding breath - using store of air from hyperventilating in an area with clear air
  • Knocking out those around you - using store of smoke from absorbing smoke
  • Hearing and smelling - a byproduct of absorbing, so done anytime absorbing for other abilities, even when not trying

Fire:

• Heat lasers - using store of heat
  • Freezing items - absorbing heat
  • Surviving in cold environments - using store of heat
  • Surviving in hot environments - absorbing heat to fill store
  • Increased speed - using store of electricity, (could be in air rather than fire) (see water)

Earth:

• Forming material depending on what was absorbed - so making stone objects requires stone to be absorbed, making things quickly results in cruder items but doing it more slowly means it takes longer to make something large  

Water:

• Increased strength / toughness - using store of ice / absorbing ice
  • Increased senses - using store of water / absorbing water
  • Increased reflexes / speed - using store of steam / absorbing steam

Can also combine abilities, such as needing to be stronger so draining heat from some water to make it ice, then using the ice to become tougher and stronger, then needing to get away so using the heat to boil the remaining water to gain steam to use to run

Ok so these are awesome ideas but for absorbing from ice maybe it makes dry ice? Not sure on how dry ice works for absorbing steam maybe fog instead because I think it would absorb moisture not things from water. For absorbing smoke maybe it makes cold smoke??? (This could be replaced with steam) for stone to stone I'm thinking it's a 2:1.00009 ratio (this is because I'm hesitant to have a true mass conserving material changing magic system) and it's mass conserving not material conserving. And for having multiple abilities it scales so you either have all of the abilities of one element, 3 abilities each of 2 elements, 2 abilities of each for 3 elements or 1 ability each of all 4 elements

10 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Ok so these are awesome ideas but for absorbing from ice maybe it makes dry ice? Not sure on how dry ice works for absorbing steam maybe fog instead because I think it would absorb moisture not things from water. For absorbing smoke maybe it makes cold smoke??? (This could be replaced with steam) for stone to stone I'm thinking it's a 2:1.00009 ratio (this is because I'm hesitant to have a true mass conserving material changing magic system) and it's mass conserving not material conserving. And for having multiple abilities it scales so you either have all of the abilities of one element, 3 abilities each of 2 elements, 2 abilities of each for 3 elements or 1 ability each of all 4 elements

That works :-) you have to go with what makes the most sense for you, though just remember dry ice is made from carbon dioxide, so it would probably require additional effort to make, possibly with those who have fire based abilities freezing CO2 gas to make the dry ice, adding in an economic element to the story. Dividing up the number and distribution of abilities also seems like a move with interesting story possibilities, as well as ways groups of people can work together to produce effects.

Ok so here's some world building:

Once, before magic was discovered, the world had mountains, now the chain of islands we call Archeionus is a series of plains and quarries. Magic has been used to mine out every mountain and some of the islands underground. Tales are told of a far off land where there are mountains, rivers and valleys, a land without magic and that makes it all the more magical.

Ok so third person time this world is made up of 2 super continents and some islands the most inhabited places are the western most continent and the western islands the super continents called Màjoes and Elderra (Màjoes is the western most) the separation between the islands and Màjoes is about far enough where a well made ship could make it there and back the the distance between Màjoes and Elderra is a little bit larger there is also a large island (about half the size of Australia) where they are science fiction level advanced however they do not understand or even know of magic at all contrasting that the people of Archeionus are very advanced in magic but are roughly equal to the mideival period but are closer to the early mideival period in some areas and closer to the later mideival period in others that's about all my brainstorming has come up with

20 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Ok so here's some world building:

Once, before magic was discovered, the world had mountains, now the chain of islands we call Archeionus is a series of plains and quarries. Magic has been used to mine out every mountain and some of the islands underground. Tales are told of a far off land where there are mountains, rivers and valleys, a land without magic and that makes it all the more magical.

Ok so third person time this world is made up of 2 super continents and some islands the most inhabited places are the western most continent and the western islands the super continents called Màjoes and Elderra (Màjoes is the western most) the separation between the islands and Màjoes is about far enough where a well made ship could make it there and back the the distance between Màjoes and Elderra is a little bit larger there is also a large island (about half the size of Australia) where they are science fiction level advanced however they do not understand or even know of magic at all contrasting that the people of Archeionus are very advanced in magic but are roughly equal to the mideival period but are closer to the early mideival period in some areas and closer to the later mideival period in others that's about all my brainstorming has come up with

Sounds cool :-) are you going with a technology versus magic angle with the island culture eventually interacting with the magical cultures, or are they mainly going to remain separate, each its own setting, sharing a planet but not trading knowledge and resources?

4 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Sounds cool :-) are you going with a technology versus magic angle with the island culture eventually interacting with the magical cultures, or are they mainly going to remain separate, each its own setting, sharing a planet but not trading knowledge and resources?

No my idea for how any books would be constructed would be every other part will be the technological island and anything in between would be the magical island but I realize when I did the world building last time Archeionus will have to be further along then I thought so Archeionus is a hundred or so years before discovering guns and the sci-fi place is only really interested in space exploration