can nightblood have its emotions pushed

EggArdent

Question

8 answers to this question

Questioner

I've got a list of various Cosmere bits of metal and I was wondering if you would rank them from like one to ten or just easy to difficult on how hard it would be to steelpush on them. So with one being just a regular coin, ten being like when the Lord Ruler was moving bits of glass on the floor, so like metal inside a person's body.

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on how strong the Investiture in them is.

Questioner

Is that gonna be the answer for all of these?

Brandon Sanderson

Probably!

Questioner

How about a spike charged with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

A spike charged with Hemalurgy... that depends on...

Questioner

Not in a person.

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on how strong, yeah, a spike is moderately, (in the realm of these kinds of things) moderately easy to push on because a spike does not rip off very much Investiture. Only enough to short circuit the soul, and less it over time. I would put that at the bottom, with the top being very hard, to be one of the easier things.

Questioner

How about a metalmind that is full?

Brandon Sanderson

That is full? That is going to be middle of the realm of the, yeah. Generally easier than, for instance, a Shardblade which is going to be very hard.

Questioner #2

A Shardblade is [inaudible] actually metal? [metal]-ish?

Brandon Sanderson

Ish. Is Lerasium a metal? Yeah.

Questioner

So that'd be the same for Shardplate too?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardplate and Blade are very hard. Blade is probably gonna be a little harder.

Questioner

A Half-shard?

Brandon Sanderson

A Half-shard shield? That's gonna be moderate.

Questioner

Nightblood? I imagine that being hard.

Brandon Sanderson

Hard, of all the things you've listed, that is going to be the hardest. Far beyond even a Sharblade.

Questioner

Far beyond metal inside a person? 

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, yes. Depending on how invested the person is.

Questioner

If somebody was invested as much as Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, for instance the God King, right. At the end with all those Breaths. Pushing something inside of him, getting through all of that? Gonna be real hard. Average person on Scadrial? You've seen how hard that is. A drab? Much easier.

Questioner

That was my next one, or no, sorry not a drab. A lifeless?

Brandon Sanderson

A Lifeless, yeah. Even... yeah. Lifeless are kind of weird because they've had their soul leave but then they've had a replacement stuck in in the form of Breath which leaves them in a very weird position compared to a drab which has had part of their Investiture ripped away but a majority remains, so, anyways. I'm going to give you one more. Pick your favorite.

Questioner

A soulstamped piece of metal?

Brandon Sanderson

A soulstamped piece of metal is going to be on the lower, easier side. Not a lot of Investiture going on in a soulstamp.

Salt Lake City signing (March 29, 2014)

Nightblood is very highly Invested so affecting it by Investiture is going to be very, very, very difficult near impossible. On top of that it eats Investiture.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, EggArdent said:

but because it is sentient is it possible to push or pull nightbloods emotions?

okay, the problem with this is that Nightblood is an awakened object. Unless awakened objects can be soothed or rioted, which i think they can't, the asnwer is no.

Nightblood seems to display emotion but never rely shown to have any emotion besides the desire to destroy evil and is thought to only have learned to fake her emotions in order to seem more human, so no I don't think you can actually push on the emotions of Nightblood or any awakened object for that matter.

On 10/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, EggArdent said:

I know nightblood is extremely hard to be pushed, but because it is sentient is it possible to push or pull nightbloods emotions?

Totally, yes! Buuut...is anyone (other than maybe Harmony) strong enough to actually do it? Probably not.

Love him or hate him, Nightblood is a living creature. He didn't ask to be born incredibly powerful and corrupt. :lol:

On 10/25/2022 at 9:30 AM, spirit, said:

Nightblood seems to display emotion but never rely shown to have any emotion besides the desire to destroy evil and is thought to only have learned to fake her emotions in order to seem more human, so no I don't think you can actually push on the emotions of Nightblood or any awakened object for that matter.

We've already gotten a WoB that says otherwise. It would be extremely difficult. A Lerasium mistborn might be able to do it with duralumin. If not, they would need some other means of increasing investiture. Does anyone know if this has been in any books yet?