Can tin store pain?

Koloss17

so pain is separate from feeling, but works in the same way. Is it distinctive enough to count as a sense? And if it is, how would it store? I’d guess that it would be reduced while storing and increased while tapping, but at that point, you don’t need to tap. If this is true, tin ferrings just got a lot more powerful.

43 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

so pain is separate from feeling, but works in the same way. Is it distinctive enough to count as a sense? And if it is, how would it store? I’d guess that it would be reduced while storing and increased while tapping, but at that point, you don’t need to tap. If this is true, tin ferrings just got a lot more powerful.

I think yes, man have pain receptors after all.

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

51 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

I think yes, man have pain receptors after all.

Tin does not store certain feelings, they store the strength of the senses. So no, you can't technically store pain, but your pain receptors will be numb when being stored and increased when being tapped, making you increasingly vulnerable and sensitive to pain.

I believe it would work like the other senses if it works as a sense. When filling, that sense is lowered. When tapping, that sense is increased. Now that would be overpowered because you get no pain without any cost. Most of Feruchemy  need bad for there to be good, and in the case of atium, the problem never really leaves. So there are two patterns in Feruchemy that can’t go together in this case and I think that’s tough.

18 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I believe it would work like the other senses if it works as a sense. When filling, that sense is lowered. When tapping, that sense is increased. Now that would be overpowered because you get no pain without any cost. Most of Feruchemy  need bad for there to be good, and in the case of atium, the problem never really leaves. So there are two patterns in Feruchemy that can’t go together in this case and I think that’s tough.

@Bzhydack (Yes, I'm dragging you into this, too. All of you will be enlightened because I am a cremhole ( And yes, edited the an to an a so it would be correct grammar. Don't judge me.))

Pain isn't a sense. It the result of a sense. I think people have tin confused. Tin will only store the strength of a sense, so if your tapping tin, you would feel more sensitive to pain. However, this means you can store sense and come completely numb to all pain. You would not feel that pain later, as that's not what's being stored. There IS a way to do this though, and that's with COPPER. Coppermind's store memory, including the memory of an experience down to what you felt, which I can confirm in a line in Mistborn: Bands of Mourning for you people, because thank god my sister happened to not return the book.

"He heard his own boots on the dirty rock, the wind blowing, and felt cold." - Wax after tapping an unkeyed Coppermind

So no, Tin is not the metal you are looking for. 

Edited by Aspiring Writer

9 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

@Bzhydack (Yes, I'm dragging you into this, too. All of you will be enlightened because I am a cremhole ( And yes, edited the an to an a so it would be correct grammar. Don't judge me.))

Pain isn't a sense. It the result of a sense. I think people have tin confused. Tin will only store the strength of a sense, so if your tapping tin, you would feel more sensitive to pain. However, this means you can store sense and come completely numb to all pain. You would not feel that pain later, as that's not what's being stored. There IS a way to do this though, and that's with COPPER. Coppermind's store memory, including the memory of an experience down to what you felt, which I can confirm in a line in Mistborn: Bands of Mourning for you people, because thank god my sister happened to not return the book.

"He heard his own boots on the dirty rock, the wind blowing, and felt cold." - Wax after tapping an unkeyed Coppermind

So no, Tin is not the metal you are looking for. 

No no, this is Exactly what I was looking for. It’s the first metal where you can get the positive effect of the metal without having consequences. This also allows a new style of windwhisperers. Instead of having them as scouts or spies, you can have them as offensive warriors that need to discard metalminds when they are full. That is really good!

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

No no, this is Exactly what I was looking for. It’s the first metal where you can get the positive effect of the metal without having consequences. This also allows a new style of windwhisperers. Instead of having them as scouts or spies, you can have them as offensive warriors that need to discard metalminds when they are full. That is really good!

... I'm confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me, I can't tell.

Edit: You're probably agreeing with me, but I am typing this in the morning and really sleepy, so I can't tell right now.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

9 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

... I'm confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me, I can't tell.

Edit: You're probably agreeing with me, but I am typing this in the morning and really sleepy, so I can't tell right now.

I’m agreeing with you, my friend. I just needed validation because it makes sense with all logic, but not with the balance of the magic system. So I just wanted to be sure I’m not the only one that thinks that it’s okay that it breaks the balance.

and @Danex, I have found what you are looking for. It’s sort of an inverted metalmind, but not exactly.

Edited by Koloss17
Gotta give Danex some joy

Just now, Koloss17 said:

I’m agreeing with you, my friend. I just needed validation because it makes sense with all logic, but not with the balance of the magic system. So I just wanted to be sure I’m not the only one that thinks that it’s okay that it breaks the balance.

Yeah, no, your theory seems fine.

Just now, Koloss17 said:

Yay! Yet anothing thing to list as something tinminds store! 

and yet another point of data to show that f-tin is the superior everything....

Not sure how much I agree, but yeah, keep going, these are interesting applications for tin to think about. Also, make a name for your group of Tin superiority.

46 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Not sure how much I agree, but yeah, keep going, these are interesting applications for tin to think about. Also, make a name for your group of Tin superiority.

A new addition to the social group, guilds and clans forum? 

don’t mind if I do

edit: maybe not. It’s a bit to cosmereish to fit nicely into a guild. And I still have so much to inquire about F-tin. 

Edited by Koloss17

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, Koloss17 said:

Pain; Is it distinctive enough to count as a sense?

As Aspiring Writer put it, pain itself isn't a sense. That said, now that you've clarified, you're essentially talking about nociception(the thing behind feeling pain).

I'd say it's always been distinctive enough, but it'll only be storable once people's perceptions are altered enough for them to think that it's a distinct sense(individuals could've done it prior to Era 1, but the common man might have to wait for a "medical breakthrough" before they get clued in).

13 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

As Aspiring Writer put it, pain itself isn't a sense. That said, now that you've clarified, you're essentially talking about nociception(the thing behind feeling pain).

I'd say it's always been distinctive enough, but it'll only be storable once people's perceptions are altered enough for them to think that it's a distinct sense(individuals could've done it prior to Era 1, but the common man might have to wait for a "medical breakthrough" before they get clued in).

I can't wait for Shardworlds to have modern biological knowledge... It's going to be so interesting to see how that changes perception and therefore the powers they have access to...