Best magic system combo

Koloss17

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Wait... Ok I just got MASSIVE deja vu reading this. I swear to everything you've put these words somewhere I've read them before, maybe a Reddit post? :huh:

Yup, I made a reddit post. Only recently decided that I should be part of 17th Shard too.
Then again, these words aren't engraved in metal, so...

Edited by Benkinsky
forgot the joke

On 10/3/2020 at 1:35 AM, Aspiring Writer said:

...You are not @Koloss17. That's surprising. Have you considered joining the Tin Theology (Name WIP)? It is a group bent on proving the superiority of Tin above all other metals. Koloss17 is the leader and I'm an advisor with interest in their preaching.

Sign me up! 

I dub us the Stannumites, dedicates of Stannumony (lit. "The Law of Tin") and members of the Stannumorium!  ["Stannum" = Tin (latin)]. 

Know ye our works, for we are the Masters of the 50 Senses!  [Tin=Atomic Number 50].

(I probably need more coffee.  Or less, hard to say)

Seriously though, while I cant rule out some of the Spiritual metals being stupid cool in application, Tin is otherwise the Ascendant Compounding Combination.  In nearly every other case, having both sides of the same metal means infinite Feruchemy, and you may or may not ever bother to use the Allomantic version. The two distinct versions of Tin patch each other's limitations nicely, and Feruchemy's ability to fill all but a targeted sense would let you Flair far more safely.  And since it's long established that F-Tin works in a scaled/quantitative manner (rather than discrete storage like F-Copper or Nicrosil Medallions) there's no reason you shouldnt be able to fill Tin with Life Sense and then Compound/Flair/Super-Tap it for some sort of ridiculous overcharged effect.  You might even be able to similarly compress/augment the Perfect Color and Perfect Pitch senses into something weird and/or Spiritual, if you Tap enough of it.   

20 minutes ago, Quantus said:

You might even be able to similarly compress/augment the Perfect Color and Perfect Pitch senses into something weird and/or Spiritual, if you Tap enough of it.   

I made a post on that! You should check it out (I’m not shamelessly self-promoting, you are!).

also I’ll make the guild soon enough. Should it be in the social groups and guilds forum or in the mistborn/cosmere forum?

Edited by Koloss17

20 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I made a post on that! You should check it out (I’m not shamelessly self-promoting, you are!).

also I’ll make the guild soon enough. Should it be in the social groups and guilds forum or in the mistborn/cosmere forum?

I dont have any experience on the Social groups side of the site, I tend to mostly haunt the cosmere theory side of things.  Im open to either though.

Edited by Quantus

2 hours ago, Benkinsky said:

how so? And why? Soulcasting the metals one needs?

That and it gives you the most coverage of abilities

You don't need Feruchemy as Stormlight provides most of the abilities from there, Steel lets you fly, Dur-aluminum can be used in conjunction with surgebinding, it just gives you everything you could want.

6 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Elantrian Steelrunner.

Hey, no stealing mine! XD Get your own combination.

5 hours ago, Frustration said:

That and it gives you the most coverage of abilities

You don't need Feruchemy as Stormlight provides most of the abilities from there, Steel lets you fly, Dur-aluminum can be used in conjunction with surgebinding, it just gives you everything you could want.

That, and having the surge of transportation with duralumin is really useful for a world hopper. You can go anywhere!

56 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

That, and having the surge of transportation with duralumin is really useful for a world hopper. You can go anywhere!

you assume. barring something in the RoW preview chapters, which I wouldnt know about because i've been avoiding them, the only thing we actually seen that the surge of transportation can do is hop between cognitive and physical realms.  presumably it can do more, but I'm not aware of any details.

2 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Elantrian Soulbearer.

Didn't say that one. That one is yours. not sure how it work, but I' sure it would be interesting.

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

you assume. barring something in the RoW preview chapters, which I wouldnt know about because i've been avoiding them, the only thing we actually seen that the surge of transportation can do is hop between cognitive and physical realms.  presumably it can do more, but I'm not aware of any details.

I never look into the preview chapters. Why torture myself with seeds? But being able to go into the cognitive to the physical and vise versa without needing a perpendicular is incredibly useful for a world hopper, especially on a world without one. 

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Didn't say that one. That one is yours. not sure how it work, but I' sure it would be interesting.

I never look into the preview chapters. Why torture myself with seeds? But being able to go into the cognitive to the physical and vise versa without needing a perpendicular is incredibly useful for a world hopper, especially on a world without one. 

its useful, but the post I was replying to was specifically about pairing it with Duralumin to enhance it somehow, and I'm not certain its clear how that would work or if it would actually help at all.  basically the transportation surge is useful on its own, for worldhoppers at least, but it isnt clear that pairing it with mistborn actually helps any.

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

its useful, but the post I was replying to was specifically about pairing it with Duralumin to enhance it somehow, and I'm not certain its clear how that would work or if it would actually help at all.  basically the transportation surge is useful on its own, for worldhoppers at least, but it isnt clear that pairing it with mistborn actually helps any.

It's  theory that with duralumin, you'd be able to transport from anywhere, unlike with jasnah couldn't without the perpendicular 

5 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

It's  theory that with duralumin, you'd be able to transport from anywhere, unlike with jasnah couldn't without the perpendicular 

What makes you think Jasnah needed the perpendicularity?  the two times we see her port into/out of shadesmar there is no idnication that there is a perpendicularity anywhere near.

2 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

You would store the part of yourself that makes you an Elantian, effectively making you a normal person. When you tap your nicrosilmind, you would become a much more powerful version of an Elantrian. Your Daa would hit like a nuke and your Edo would be unbreakable.

Really any kind of Feruchemy is probably going to be strong with an Elantrian. Any attribute you store would probably be compensated for by your Elantian nature. For example if you stored strength, the Dor would probably fill in what you lost so that you would effectively be a compounder.

I think that any Radiant/Duraluminum combo would be mostly useless, as the main benefit of duraluminum is that Mistborns and Mistings have an upper limit on how much power they can use at one time. Radiants, however, have no such limitation. Kaladin can use however many lashings he wants to at a time, he just needs to have enough stormlight. Jasnah couldn't soulcast people easily because of the perpendicularity, she could do so because she had enough stormlight to waste on brute forcing them to change, rather than convincing them.

23 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I think that any Radiant/Duraluminum combo would be mostly useless, as the main benefit of duraluminum is that Mistborns and Mistings have an upper limit on how much power they can use at one time. Radiants, however, have no such limitation. Kaladin can use however many lashings he wants to at a time, he just needs to have enough stormlight. Jasnah couldn't soulcast people easily because of the perpendicularity, she could do so because she had enough stormlight to waste on brute forcing them to change, rather than convincing them.

for what its worth, I think the perpendicularity helped too, by putting her closer to the cognitive realm.  but yes, having boatloads of stormlight at hand definitely did its part.

you might be right on the other.  I'm not sure that we've seen anyone try to push their entire stormlight reservoir into a single surge, but we also havent heard anything about the sort of limits that stop allomancers from doing huge pushes most of the time, so it might be possible, and just not something they've needed to try as yet.

10 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

you might be right on the other.  I'm not sure that we've seen anyone try to push their entire stormlight reservoir into a single surge, but we also havent heard anything about the sort of limits that stop allomancers from doing huge pushes most of the time, so it might be possible, and just not something they've needed to try as yet.

They have a limit to how fast they can burn their metals, otherwise Vin wouldn't have cared when duraluminum was discovered.

3 minutes ago, Nameless said:

They have a limit to how fast they can burn their metals, otherwise Vin wouldn't have cared when duraluminum was discovered.

There is a limit to Stormlight as well, there are a couple WoB about this I'll link one in a bit.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

There is a limit to Stormlight as well, there are a couple WoB about this I'll link one in a bit.

I mean, we have this WoB:

Questioner

What’s the upper limit of Lashing, is it Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it’s--  Well define for me what you mean by upper limit?

Questioner

Like, um, a mountain?

Brandon Sanderson

That would take a lot of Stormlight.

Questioner

So it’s something about the Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Definitely.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

Which implies that all that limits a Radiant is how much stormlight they have.

9 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I mean, we have this WoB:

Which implies that all that limits a Radiant is how much stormlight they have.

I meant like this

Paladin Brewer

If a person had the power of Mistborn and other powers like Surges, could he use duralumin to power the Surges?

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

13 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I mean, it would work, but it wouldn't do anything useful. Just an uncontrolled burst when you could do the same thing without that.

I think it might, dur-aluminum gives more power to allomancy I see no reason it wouldn't with Surgebinding.