Ookla the Headmuncher

Best magic system combo

75 posts in this topic

If you were to have a person that has a mix of two aspects of a magic system, what would they be? (eg. elscaller elantrian, Copper cloud with fifth heightening) 

I think a eleantrian that can store connection might be able to manipulate where he can pull the dor, which would be nice. 
 

a copper cloud with a large amount of breath could probably suppress the color aura to make them less suspicious. 
 

a coinshot windrunner would be the zoomiest thing. I think that’s my favorite. You could half your weight, fly about in so many ways, it would be great. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

If you were to have a person that has a mix of two aspects of a magic system, what would they be? (eg. elscaller elantrian, Copper cloud with fifth heightening) 

I think a eleantrian that can store connection might be able to manipulate where he can pull the dor, which would be nice. 
 

a copper cloud with a large amount of breath could probably suppress the color aura to make them less suspicious. 
 

a coinshot windrunner would be the zoomiest thing. I think that’s my favorite. You could half your weight, fly about in so many ways, it would be great. 

Crashers can already do the last. I’d take Transformation and A Bendalloy. Unending supply of fast time. Plus, I can make a fortune on gold, silver, platinum, etc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tin Twinborn of the 5th Heightening.  I perceive ALL THE THINGS!!!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if an elantiran ferruchemist could store the effects of specific aons into nicrosilminds to be pulled out at will?  it might not work that way, but it seems vaguely plausible.  if so it would allow you to take the time to construct aons ahead of time, in Elantris for full effect, then unleash them later.  it probably wouldn't work that way though.

Elantrians have the most versatile set of abilities, so long as they are near elantris, but there are ways to get past that restriction, but it isn't clear how well they combine wiht other abilities.  Surgebinders, especially 5th oath surgebinders, are pretty much the top for raw power after compounders, but they need a readily available investiture source, like stormlight (i wonder if they'd be able to absorb it from sunlight on Taldain or from the mists on Scadrial?).  Allomancers and ferruchemists just need access to metal to use their abilities, but the abilities themselves are pretty constrained.

I think allomancer (duralumin misting if I have to be that specific) will tend to pair well with suregbinding, provided they are careful.  duralumin boosted lashings would be a good way to kill yourself once youve burned through all your stormlight and don't have the benefit of its healing anymore.  on the other hand, duralumin boosted regrowth would probably outdo gold compounding in terms of raw burst of healing power.  it even presents opportunities when paired with some unusual ones, like illumination (duralumin boost + noise could likley produce sounds loud enough to deafen or even outright kill, though the surgebinder themself might be caught up in it.), though I havent found a good use of it with abrasion yet.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I think allomancer (duralumin misting if I have to be that specific) will tend to pair well with suregbinding, provided they are careful.  duralumin boosted lashings would be a good way to kill yourself once youve burned through all your stormlight and don't have the benefit of its healing anymore.  on the other hand, duralumin boosted regrowth would probably outdo gold compounding in terms of raw burst of healing power.  it even presents opportunities when paired with some unusual ones, like illumination (duralumin boost + noise could likley produce sounds loud enough to deafen or even outright kill, though the surgebinder themself might be caught up in it.), though I havent found a good use of it with abrasion yet.

:ph34r: You rang?

Soulcasting may also mesh well with allomantic duralumin; a brute force method as opposed to a proper bargain. Depends on if that's even possible to do; but Jasnah seems capable of it (at least in the presence of the Perpendicularity at the end of OB).

Duralumin abrasion could be useful for starting fires if you can super-boost friction up on the surface of something flammable like wood. Friction generates heat after all. Sounds Dustbringer-y.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

:ph34r: You rang?

Soulcasting may also mesh well with allomantic duralumin; a brute force method as opposed to a proper bargain. Depends on if that's even possible to do; but Jasnah seems capable of it (at least in the presence of the Perpendicularity at the end of OB).

Duralumin abrasion could be useful for starting fires if you can super-boost friction up on the surface of something flammable like wood. Friction generates heat after all. Sounds Dustbringer-y.

yea, possibly that could work, if it didnt just halt things entirely.  i'm not sure of the precise mechanics of what would happen if you tried it.  would probably help to stop a runaway train or something.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dunkum said:

yea, possibly that could work, if it didnt just halt things entirely.  i'm not sure of the precise mechanics of what would happen if you tried it.  would probably help to stop a runaway train or something.

Sounds useful on Scadrial when you put it like that. :P

hm... as for other duralumin boosted surges... Well I'll just run through all 10 and give my thoughts on em.

 

Adhesion: "You will STAY THERE and you will LIKE IT!" possibly would allow you to (assuming "pressure and vacuum" means what I think it means) create blasts of air with hurricane (read: highstorm) levels of force, like a particularly angry Airbender.

Gravitation: "We are GOING and we are going NOW" If you absolutely have to Lash something in a single direction as hard as your Stormlight reserves will allow (like launching a spear at someone from a distance at railgun velocities) then yes, probably extremely handy.

Division: "I don't like this wall. Wall, go away." Might be able to make a miniature Shattered Plains, if you're into that. Or just turn the rock into sand, I dunno.

Abrasion: "Hm, I need fire, but I can't Soulcast." As said before, might be able to set things on fire by making absurd levels of friction. Would probably be safer with Shardplate on to protect your hand and still be capable of transmitting the Abrasion through it (if it's your own Plate).

Progression: "Well that's a lot of missing bits. Let me get those for you." Definitely would have the oomph needed to pull someone together in the literal sense, probably would help with reviving people from the recently deceased.

Illumination: "FUS RO DAH!" Or "Storm you, I'm the storming SUN!" Depends on if you go with sound or actual light for this. Blast waves and gamma rays, anyone? ...Wait a second that's a nuke oh god oh fu-

Transformation: "YOU ARE FIRE AND YOU WILL STAY FIRE." Yeah. Possibly enables just brute-forcing a Soulcast without needing a nearby Perpendicularity. Very nice.

Transportation: "There's no place like home." I dunno if it would ACTUALLY let you teleport back to somewhere familiar from afar, but it would probably make leaving Shadesmar less of a pain than it normally is. That's handy.

Cohesion: "The floor is lava. Except not hot." Assuming Cohesion is the surge that makes stuff more fluid and malleable, this could probably make a whole cliffside just goop and fall off. Or you could flatten a hill by melting it, pretty much.

Tension: "I am bulletproof!" Probably not the literal Surgebinder doing that, but whatever protective measure they want to put between them and something else would probably become rigid enough to defend against a lot more than usual, especially if it's usually quite flimsy. I don't know if Tension can affect the ultimate tensile strength of a substance, but if it can, then yeah. Bulletproof paper.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We count Compounder as one or as two?

If as one, the most OP combo will be (classic) Steel Compounder+ Dustbringer.

Also, Elantrian + Duralumin Ferring, or, even better, Duralumin Compounder.

Not very strong but very interesting is Bendaloy Ferring + SandMaster.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Steel Compounder+ Dustbringer.

I am speed.

I think a lightweaver coinshot would be pretty cool. You could turn a stone into steel and shoot it at an enemy or use it to fly.

Edgedancer iron ferring would also be fun. You could make yourself weigh several times your weight and slide across the ground at someone.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

 

Edgedancer iron ferring would also be fun. You could make yourself weigh several times your weight and slide across the ground at someone.

That is terrifying. The living bowling ball.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

I think a eleantrian that can store connection might be able to manipulate where he can pull the dor, which would be nice. 
 

a copper cloud with a large amount of breath could probably suppress the color aura to make them less suspicious. 
 

a coinshot windrunner would be the zoomiest thing. I think that’s my favorite. You could half your weight, fly about in so many ways, it would be great. 

1. So an Eleantrian capable of using their powers anywhere? Pretty sure you can do that in many ways, but is one way of maybe doing it. 

2. You can suppress your color aura even without a Coppercloud. Vasher does it in Sormlight Archives. So congrats, you can insert something more useful in that slot instead.

3. That's redundant. Windrunner can do a lot of a coinshot does

My pick is steel runner and Elantrian, so that way I can make all the signs in a split second.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 8:17 PM, Koloss17 said:

That is terrifying. The living bowling ball.

"I'm the Juggernaut!"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 10:45 AM, Quantus said:

Tin Twinborn of the 5th Heightening.  I perceive ALL THE THINGS!!!

...You are not @Koloss17. That's surprising. Have you considered joining the Tin Theology (Name WIP)? It is a group bent on proving the superiority of Tin above all other metals. Koloss17 is the leader and I'm an advisor with interest in their preaching.

 

On 10/1/2020 at 6:28 PM, Bzhydack said:

Also, Elantrian + Duralumin Ferring, or, even better, Duralumin Compounder.

 So ultra-powerful Elantrian who can store their connection to use their powers anywhere? Sign me up.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:29 PM, Chasmgoat said:

I am speed.

I think a lightweaver coinshot would be pretty cool. You could turn a stone into steel and shoot it at an enemy or use it to fly.

Edgedancer iron ferring would also be fun. You could make yourself weigh several times your weight and slide across the ground at someone.

Who needs metals when you can make them out of thin air? And the illusions you can do while steel pushing away? This sounds like wonderful powers to give a very elusive villain.

As for the Edgedancer Ferring... imagine shooting lift out of a cannon, have her increase her weight, and just watching the destruction. XD

Here's a bunch of new ones to chew on.

Bendalloy Elantrian Misting- Can make a time bubble to do all your sons and take your time.

Zinc Elantrian Ferring- Can speed up your thought and make sure you never make a mistake in your Aon

Copper Elantrian Ferring- Can store the memory of every Aon so you don't forget (Cuz I know I'll need that)

Elantrain Willshaper- Can shape objects into Aons

Windrunner and Iron ferring- Increase your weight during a lashing.

Willshaper Duralumin Misting-  Can transport between realms with ease and shape anything

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Windrunner and Iron ferring- Increase your weight during a lashing.

I don't really see a whole lot of benefit here, it is probably easier to just lash yourself more or less than to mess about with filling/tapping an ironmind while in midair.  at best it seems liek it'd be useful if you run out of stormlight and need to survive a fall of some distance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I don't really see a whole lot of benefit here, it is probably easier to just lash yourself more or less than to mess about with filling/tapping an ironmind while in midair.  at best it seems liek it'd be useful if you run out of stormlight and need to survive a fall of some distance.

Imagine hitting someone during a lashing when you way ten times your weight. That's why.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does a fullborn count. I would just be that. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dancer said:

Does a fullborn count. I would just be that. 

If by full born, you mean Mistborn or Feruchemist, then no, we're going individual abilities and at most, you can be a compounder of sorts and something else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

If by full born, you mean Mistborn or Feruchemist, then no, we're going individual abilities and at most, you can be a compounder of sorts and something else.

Well, I didn’t explicitly mention that, I just said two magic systems. Feruchemy and allomancy are two systems, so I think it counts. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elantrian with Spiritual Adhesion.  You could Connect to a place, open a Perpendicularity, and have unlimited Aonic power (especially if you could use a glyph to keep the Perpendicularity open).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not Fullborn then a Mistborn Drustbringer. Throw metal coins with your Mistborn powers then make them explode with your Dustbringer powers. Combine the graceful movements of Pewter and Abrasion and you have one deadly hand to hand fighter. As well as all of the other powers that come with being a Mistborn. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Imagine hitting someone during a lashing when you way ten times your weight. That's why.

You could just do a lashing at them ten times the strength of a normal lashing. the impact would hurt a lot though. Maybe pewter to fix that? Or I guess a Feruchemical Ability might also do the trick such as gold. I think Iron Feruchemy could also do it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

You could just do a lashing at them ten times the strength of a normal lashing. the impact would hurt a lot though. Maybe pewter to fix that? Or I guess a Feruchemical Ability might also do the trick such as gold. I think Iron Feruchemy could also do it.

thats also not a particularly effective use of the surge, honestly.  why make yourself weigh a ton when you can use a shardblade to cut a giant boulder and make that weight a ton.  if you are worried about trajectory, you could ride it up to the last minute to make adjustments.  plus chucking boulders at people has got to be less dangerous than smashing yourself into them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, if you send yourself flying you could attack with a shardblade, and once you hit you could lash them at high speeds to something.

Edit:       A lightweaver awakener would be interesting. You could do cool things with your illusions and breath. (like make it seem like you have a greater aura than you actually do.)

For example, you could soulcast a corpse into steel or something like that and turn it into a lifeless, then using illusions to make it seem like a normal lifeless.

Edited by Chasmgoat
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelrunner + ChayShan

 

The key to accessing the Dor in ChayShan are specific movements. The only trouble you could run in is if someone interrupts your movement, which is what happened to Shuden.

Steelrunners can tap their speed to move insanely fast. Going from how Wax described it in Shadows of Self, it seems like it speeds up your own personal movements rather than physically making you stronger (that's a pewtermind). So if you don't have a weapon or something, you won't be able to do more damage in a fight than you can with your own body already, you're just faster

Tapping a Steelmind could shore up ChayShan's weakness. If you move that fast, noone could interrupt your channeling. And then once you've channeled, the abilities ChayShan grants you enable you to make incredible use of your enhanced speed - breaking bones and more with just your body.

Fun fact: this could occur naturally without the use of Hemalurgy. If a Terris person moved to Jin'Do and got children there, they might be Ferrings and also be able to practice ChayShan. And even if you don't happen to be a Ferring: as long as you have Terris blood, a Forger could probably stamp you to be one anyway. It's up to genetic chance, so that's a plausible lie.

Addition: or instead of ChayShan you could also just get a Shardblade or something. Instakill is also very powerful if you move at insane speeds.

Or, my pet project, AonDor Compounding! I'll make a post about that in a few minutes anyway.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benkinsky said:

Steelrunner + ChayShan

 

The key to accessing the Dor in ChayShan are specific movements. The only trouble you could run in is if someone interrupts your movement, which is what happened to Shuden.

Steelrunners can tap their speed to move insanely fast. Going from how Wax described it in Shadows of Self, it seems like it speeds up your own personal movements rather than physically making you stronger (that's a pewtermind). So if you don't have a weapon or something, you won't be able to do more damage in a fight than you can with your own body already, you're just faster

Tapping a Steelmind could shore up ChayShan's weakness. If you move that fast, noone could interrupt your channeling. And then once you've channeled, the abilities ChayShan grants you enable you to make incredible use of your enhanced speed - breaking bones and more with just your body.

Fun fact: this could occur naturally without the use of Hemalurgy. If a Terris person moved to Jin'Do and got children there, they might be Ferrings and also be able to practice ChayShan. And even if you don't happen to be a Ferring: as long as you have Terris blood, a Forger could probably stamp you to be one anyway. It's up to genetic chance, so that's a plausible lie.

Addition: or instead of ChayShan you could also just get a Shardblade or something. Instakill is also very powerful if you move at insane speeds.

Or, my pet project, AonDor Compounding! I'll make a post about that in a few minutes anyway.

Wait... Ok I just got MASSIVE deja vu reading this. I swear to everything you've put these words somewhere I've read them before, maybe a Reddit post? :huh:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.