Community magic system

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Magic system poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What should the magic be based/built around?

• Gemstone based
    • Element based
    • Death based (that will be fun)
    • Rune based
    • Animal based
    • Building/crafting based
    • Other (suggest below)
  2. 2. Should the magic systems name be based on the magic or something else

• Magic
    • Something else in-world (will make a poll to decide what it's based on then what it is)
    • Something random that may have in-world importance that we do not know (will create poll on name

Ok so I'm going to do a few polls up top establish some basic ideas then take some ideas from the replies then I'll start another thread for worldbuilding/history and we'll do the same thing for that thread then make a characters/theme thread then I'll put it all together.

Edited by Somebody from Sel

What if you started mix-and-matching ideas here? Two underlying forces (death and life), the ability to make constructs and macromagic with runes and gemstones to invoke some of that, but some people are born able to channel it on their own, either death or life, where life would allow conversations with animals and growth of things and death...well death do what death do.

Doing one thing is overrated.

Do everything.

Edited by Invocation

19 minutes ago, Invocation said:

What if you started mix-and-matching ideas here? Two underlying forces (death and life), the ability to make constructs and macromagic with runes and gemstones to invoke some of that, but some people are born able to channel it on their own, either death or life, where life would allow conversations with animals and growth of things and death...well death do what death do.

Doing one thing is overrated.

Do everything.

That's what I like to call being confused but I'm leaving some of the descriptions a little open ended for various things although here's my current plan for each one:

Gemstone based: I got nothing give me a little while

Element based: don't really know what I'm going to do but I do know fire will need to get buffed and air will need to be nerfed

Death based: ok so I've thought about this one the most so things dying give off power you can use this power to build constructs make zombies and skeletons and such

Rune based: this one will likely be a combination of gemstone based magic and building/crafting based magic everyone seems to like this one (and so do I) so basically you can draw a rune in the air and get a small magic effect that's one time or you can draw a rune on any hard surface (I'm going with 1 by 2 by 1/2 inches for the smallest possible) and have a renewable effect that's more powerful

Animal based: I have less idea for this then for gemstone based I'm going to need some help

Building/crafting based: I'm thinking when you makes shapes out of a certain material magic stuff happens

Other: ah other stuff?

I'm a big fan of the death based magic system. Just a few thoughts.

The type of death should definitely tie into what abilities the magic users can use. It could be the mindset of the dying person, the method of killing, some combination thereof, etc. Here's a few ideas for categories:

1. Homicide

2. Suicide

3. Old age

4. Accident (i.e. disease, natural disaster)

IMO, homicide deaths should have very limited applications, and lean towards the lower end of the power spectrum. Otherwise, magic users will be OP on the battlefield. Somebody from Sel looks like they were thinking of a necromantic construct system. Maybe making zombies/skeletons could be relegated to one type of death. 

11 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

I'm a big fan of the death based magic system. Just a few thoughts.

The type of death should definitely tie into what abilities the magic users can use. It could be the mindset of the dying person, the method of killing, some combination thereof, etc. Here's a few ideas for categories:

1. Homicide

2. Suicide

3. Old age

4. Accident (i.e. disease, natural disaster)

IMO, homicide deaths should have very limited applications, and lean towards the lower end of the power spectrum. Otherwise, magic users will be OP on the battlefield. Somebody from Sel looks like they were thinking of a necromantic construct system. Maybe making zombies/skeletons could be relegated to one type of death. 

Yes they could maybe homicide to make accomplish the purpose of making magic users not op on the battlefield and putting necromancers in a category maybe suicide makes the most energy and accidents the second most? Old age could be a source of emotional magic? Here's my thought though homicide generates the least energy old age and accidents being equal (because they go hand and hand old age making it easier to catch diseases and such) and suicide generating the most the homicide generated energy makes it much easier to create undead, old age deaths can be used for emotional magic and mild healing (cause being happy helps you heal) accident based deaths help you heal and can be used to SENSE emotions suicides use is UNKNOWN but let's say it can be used to increase and decrease the speed of somethings decay and pure energy can create undead (albeit it requires a lot of energy and training mostly to balance homicides relatively low energy output) can influence emotions as well as (proportional to amount influenced) can heal minor and major wounds (again proportional to amount healed. Mental healing technically falls under old ages magic) and  can be used to increase and decrease the speed of somethings decay (proportional to the speed that you increase it or decrease it by and the size of the object effected) any thoughts?

Ok so I'm going to do some rune based world building runes can be made on any surface that is at least 2 by 1 by 1/2 inches there are ten basic types of runes:

Tarnalon: earth/ground

Pyrubane: fire/heat

Aquinara: water/cold

Stenackta: air/weather

Nomairia: increasing/decreasing

Emonaro: influencing/sensing

Perkona: enhancing/changing

Claitoe: cleaning/healing

Senallee: broadening/narrowing

Veniva: growing/killing

Ok so every rune will have 3 minor subsections that they share here they are:

Galaz: major/large

Smanan: minor/small

Surnegy: discover/know

And each one has ten major subsections that we will/would decide after the vote is over (once 20ish people have voted)

Edited by Somebody from Sel