Star's Inktober 2020 Thread

Zephrun’s Imperium

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
Just now, Condensation said:

I love this one! They look so happy together, and I love the concept. I'm just drawing a dancing skeleton. The prompts are Buddy, Bones and it was all I could think of.

I only did one inktober drawing and it only turned out ok

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

Well, hey, good for you for trying! 

I don't draw as much as I should I'm pretty sure the last time I grew before that one was the keyed drawing so ya I don't draw as much as I should

Day 26 is Hide and I knew pretty soon after seeing this prompt what I would do for it. I wrote a story a few months ago - which, due to recent story changes to Keyed is unfortunately no longer entirely canon - and the image it painted was just so wonderful to me. 

Sierra sat in a swivel chair, legs pulled up close against her chest. Her braid was wrapped around her neck like a scarf (something she did when she felt particularly anxious) and she stared sightlessly forward, a dead expression on her pale face....

The door opened at the back of the room and Sierra sighed, dreading the conversation that was about to take place. Tamika’s soft footsteps padded across the floor, each step making Sierra want to hide more and more. She pulled the hood of her sweatshirt over her head before her sister could see her, pulling her arms out of their sleeves and folding them inside the hoodie. There was no way her sister could miss the obvious message: I don’t want to talk to you.

Tamika looked down at Sierra hiding in her clothes and smiled faintly. That was definitely her little sister. She sat down on Sierra’s desk and put her hands in her lap, looking at her. “Hi, Sierra,” she said. “I missed you.” A hand reached through the head hole of the sweatshirt and pulled down the hood further.

I didn't draw her braid around her neck because I tried that back on day 6 for Rodent and it just didn't work out. I'll be honest, I wasn't very excited for this one, so I didn't have high hopes for it, but... dang, man. Super happy with it. There's a lot that went wrong with her face - her right eye is too far from the bridge of her nose, her nose is too exaggerated, and I shouldn't have added her top lip (I did so because I didn't think she looked feminine enough) but... yeah, pretty good drawing overall. Sweatshirts are hard, so many clothing folds. 

Hide.jpg.b47855eb60d17838b450eca2a43ae6ae.jpg

5f963342cef84_HideProgression.thumb.jpg.0988224cf4ef8409c89bd04e7ed459c0.jpg

AGH I'M DYING OF CUTENESS. Today is day 27 (Literally how. How did this happen.:blink:) and the prompt is Music. I had absolutely no idea what to do for this one. But then I remembered that I've wanted AJ (X-6574 for those of you who know him from Keyed or, as I'm told, FotR) to play the guitar for almost as long as his character has been around. On my planning paper, I wrote: "Sierra likes music and music is a way of expressing emotion, which I think AJ would like." And so... yeah, that's why this works for Music. It's probably the biggest prompt stretch that I have. :rolleyes: But it's great, isn't it? I was able to live-stream drawing this which was SUPER fun, I think I'll try to do that again tomorrow if I can. 

AJ's face, you guys, it just makes me melt all over the floor. He just has such a sweet soul. He and Pheonix from CBST need to duel for the title of cutest husband, they're both incredible. I guess Xino is just good at writing adorably pure guys. ^_^ But yeah, part of the reason it turned out so well was because I spent so much time on it. When I started, I did not intend to add any color at all, but dang that color adds a TON. 

I gestured out the idea for this drawing like... three months ago? Four, even? It's definitely the oldest idea on this year's planning list. And... dang, man, it turned out SO much better than anticipated. I've been saying that a lot, haven't I? :lol: But... it's true! I'm looking at my art and... guys, I'm gonna get so emotional at the end of this challenge, I'm gonna cry.

Music.jpg.d9feb3c0114a670d775e29af572cc7da.jpg

And here's the progression photos. I really like how, especially in the gesture, you can see that the overall shape of the drawing is somewhat heart-like. 

5f9789eb5a8e0_MusicProgression.thumb.png.8cfdcb936e52faa4e899ff62b847da3c.png

2 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

It's easier than you would think. I was super intimidated by it last year, but it ended up just taking a little bit extra effort. What helped me was to take my pencil over it first so I would know where to draw lines. I do that when I'm inking hair too. 

Okay... I was trying to draw the way Syl's hair and dress fade to mist and it didn't work.

I use Faber Castell "artist pens" they come in all different sized tips. I use the thicker tips for outer lines, and the thinner tips for details. And then I also really, really like water color markers for color. They're just water based markers with a brush tip. 

Oh, and just as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't quote someone unless somebody else responded before you. Might just be a me thing, but the extra notification bothers me. :) 

3 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

I use Faber Castell "artist pens" they come in all different sized tips. I use the thicker tips for outer lines, and the thinner tips for details. And then I also really, really like water color markers for color. They're just water based markers with a brush tip. 

Oh, and just as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't quote someone unless somebody else responded before you. Might just be a me thing, but the extra notification bothers me. :) 

I don't get two notifications might wanna get that checked

6 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

I don't get two notifications might wanna get that checked

You wouldn't get two notifications because you're not the one she's quoting. I don't get two notifications either; I just don't want any more than I have. There's a reason I use email notifications instead of just ones from the shard. 

7 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Those sound cool but expensive. :P

I mean... there's off brand of everything.

Edited by Shard of Thought