Star's Inktober 2020 Thread

Zephrun’s Imperium

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Please not that Shard of Thought does not endorse or encourage cults, blood rituals, demon summoning, or any other such practices that have apparently sprung up around her art. Thank you. 

got it, you not do not condone those things

Just now, Condensation said:

Nope.

we got our next sacrifice!

Edited by Doomstick

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

That means that they probably shouldn't happen, right?

No it just means their own god follows a different religion

*tilts head* What?

It's actually not that uncommon for the gods of one religion to follow a different one

But... the Returned don't follow a different religion. You know?

Lightsong is like half atheist half pretend (what is the Hallendran religion called) so kinda I'd say most gods are atheistic

Kay, so. Day 21, Sleep. I was originally going to draw the True Love's Kiss scene from Sleeping Beauty, but then I realized that that scene would be REALLY hard, mostly because of where Pheonix/Phillip would be, and I just didn't feel like I had enough time to tackle it and get the product that I wanted to. So, with no other choice, I searched the web for a new and better reference. And I found a pretty great one of Aurora under the sleeping curse from a nice angle. 

The reason why I chose to draw Star for Sleep is because... Well, it's actually insane how often she sleeps or is otherwise unconscious in CBST. I will list as many instances as I can now: In CBSS, she is asleep in her old house while Astral is doing her thing, the time I made her go unconscious because she was freaking out and I needed to talk to her so her burns would go away, her sleeping for a few days after the trip into Silence's Realm, her fainting after she was brought back from being unwritten, and her stopping her own heart when she was trapped in Silence's Realm. I think that's everything but if anyone from CBST can think of anything I forgot, I'd love to know. She'll also be asleep/in bed a lot during her pregnancy with Pearl. 

Anyway, about this actual drawing. Shards, you guys, this one was hard for me. My favorite part of this one is the dress. It took me a little while to find a dress I was happy with, and the one I did find I ended up completely changing most of it. :lol: But I am very happy with this end result. The lace is just gorgeous, I love the sleeves and the bodice. I think the reason Dizzy didn't turn out quite well is because I didn't have a reference for how to draw a chest laying down... But this time I did and it helped a TON. And the hair, Star's hair is always great. My least favorite thing though, is the fact that her eyes look squeezed shut. I was trying to make her cheeks stand out/make her look a little older. But... it didn't work. Her cheeks do look great though, so there's that. Oh, and the blanket is pretty sloppy - by the time I got to it, I was really done with the drawing. :P

Sleep.jpg.f4048e9f8e034e6d339f5c587d7030b0.jpg

And here's the progression. The pencil looks the best. And sorry, I totally forgot to take a picture when it was just black and white inked. 

5f8f98e277e1b_SleepProgression.thumb.png.57db330ec8b4bae052d831fb0f3e7f51.png

Day 22: Chef. Welp, I didn't spend too much time on this one. Not really feelin' the inspiration juices flowin' for it. But it is cute and I used a marker that I've never used before, so that's fun. Ralvon is a gangster tough guy, but he really, really likes to cook. Inspiration for this was the following:

Sierra walks in and there's like six cooling racks of cupcakes. 

Sierra: Ralvon, you only make cupcakes when you're stressed. Are you okay? 

Ralvon: Ican'ttalkrightnowI'mbaking

Sierra: *eyes widen* A-are these... sprinkles?

Ralvon: Intwelvebrightcolors

Sierra: It's worse than I thought.

Chef.jpg.8a8d6ca44f25beaa89b6f94cf7824514.jpg

Edited by Shard of Thought

*sigh* Yesterday was kinda rough you guys. We're getting to the end of the month and I'm starting to get a little burned out art-wise. It doesn't help that yesterday's drawing was so meh and the day before that was incredibly hard for me to draw. :unsure: I was expecting to have time yesterday to draw some of this and that time didn't end up happening... But that said, I am pretty blown away by how this turned out; I love how shiny Ember's hair looks, I love the flowers in her hair, I love the shiny candle-holder and I love the blanket. It was honestly kinda chilling to draw Ember without coloring her cracks a bright warm color. Her body is cold and her Core has stopped giving her the energy she needs to live. But there is still warmth in the drawing, from the candle and from Star's words in the quote above. I like it a lot. There's also a lot of symbolism in those flowers; Ember hasn't seen flowers in CBST yet, but she'll really love them. They're small and delicate and she's six feet tall and made of metal, but she appreciates their beauty. She could never have had flowers in her hair before she died - her "hair" is made of metal and it's pretty hot. But in death, she can wear them. 

Oh, and the prompt for this is Rip, which I interpreted as RIP. :P And there's no progression photos because there wasn't a gesture and I didn't expect this to turn out as well as it did. Plus the pencil looked exactly the same as the inked version. 

RIP.jpg.1eb54108cf7898068aba7a14e2c86128.jpg

Edited by Shard of Thought

Okay, guys sorry! It's been a super busy morning for me. But here's Aurora for the prompt Dig. I was planning on having a quote for this by now, but that hasn't happened, so I can just summarize. Aurora has nothing written about her as of yet, which is why I've never drawn her up until this point. She is the 6th member of the Keyed Crew and, being a judge, she doesn't really like Ralvon who has gotten pretty good at avoiding the law. She's got plenty of verbal digs for him. And... again, you guys I didn't take full progression photos. I did this one pretty quickly and I was really tired so... yeah, sorry. I'm really excited for tomorrow's art though, so it's likely that I'll get you the full arsenal. 

IMG_0571.jpg.b8dcadbb8b9ae4d22fa0688c21bddb31.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg.db3edbc08cf7d20e6aa4c1a95820ecde.jpg

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Yes, the skirt is probably my favorite part of this drawing, aside from her arms; drawing hands on hips is pretty hard for me. It really helped that I had an incredible reference for this one (which is why I didn't have a gesture).

Oh, really? It's my go to because it means I don't have to draw all of the hands. :)

Day 25: Buddy. Now, I don't much like musicals, but one day, I came across a song from the musical South Pacific called Honey Bun. It made me think of Ember singing about Heather, perhaps because it would be so out of character for her to do so. I imagined her with a cane, a hat, and a bow tie, dancing as she sang and that lovely image really stuck with me. And so, I really had no choice but to draw this glorious thing. You're welcome. I got some great progression photos for today! But I forgot to photograph it when it was inked without color. :( Sorry. That said, I did do some pretty flippin' sweet anatomy on this one, which I think y'all will love. I'm really, really happy with how this one turned out, except for the hands, the hands could be better, but that's okay!

Buddy.jpg.3bf6c6ff39ab98a647eea729988fc962.jpg

Untitled.thumb.png.b8669faf738894db1f38111a186c850e.png

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

Day 25: Buddy. Now, I don't much like musicals, but one day, I came across a song from the musical South Pacific called Honey Bun. It made me think of Ember singing about Heather, perhaps because it would be so out of character for her to do so. I imagined her with a cane, a hat, and a bow tie, dancing as she sang and that lovely image really stuck with me. And so, I really had no choice but to draw this glorious thing. You're welcome. I got some great progression photos for today! But I forgot to photograph it when it was inked without color. :( Sorry. That said, I did do some pretty flippin' sweet anatomy on this one, which I think y'all will love. I'm really, really happy with how this one turned out, except for the hands, the hands could be better, but that's okay!

Buddy.jpg.3bf6c6ff39ab98a647eea729988fc962.jpg

Untitled.thumb.png.b8669faf738894db1f38111a186c850e.png

Awesome this is probably the first time I've seen this the moment it's posted